Twins.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Twins.

Post by NTSOG » 26 Sep 2022, 2:56 pm

G'day,

Three years ago one of our cows produced twin heifers. We put them in with the bull last year for the first time. Four days ago one produced a nice Angus bull calf. Yesterday, about 1:00 PM, the other twin calved. I checked it from a distance. I like to give cows room when they calve and generally mark the calves on the second or third day. The calf was up and trying to drink. At 5:00 PM I went out to check and put out some hay, only to see the cow 100 yards up the paddock from where she had calved. She had another calf on the ground with her and the first calf was back where she calved at 1:00. In short this twin cow had twins on her first pregnancy. However she rejected the first calf completely. The hungry little blighter survived the night and was wandering with the mob when I checked at 7;30 this morning. I checked the other calf. It's a heifer and thus a Free Martin. We asked around the neighbourhood if there was anyone wanting an orphan steer calf and a family came immediately - they even had some colostrum - and took it to be a pet/grass-mower. Raising orphan calves costs more than they're worth in the market.

That's only the third set of twins we've had in 38 years - thankfully.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Twins.

Post by GQshayne » 28 Sep 2022, 8:11 pm

Most likely a genetic reason for it, a twin having twins.

Good way to increase your herd numbers though. ;)
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 29 Sep 2022, 6:42 am

GQshayne: "Good way to increase your herd numbers though."

Yes - if both calves are born alive and the cow accepts both. Then there is the issue that freemartin heifers are generally sterile and have masculine characteristics. That one will either go to market in about 10-11 months or we'll kill it on the farm for our freezer.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 29 Sep 2022, 8:09 pm

NTSOG wrote:GQshayne: "Good way to increase your herd numbers though."

Yes - if both calves are born alive and the cow accepts both. Then there is the issue that freemartin heifers are generally sterile and have masculine characteristics. That one will either go to market in about 10-11 months or we'll kill it on the farm for our freezer.

Jim

In my limited experience, dead ones are certainly less useful. :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation