Once upon a time they were "mongrels"

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Once upon a time they were "mongrels"

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2022, 10:24 pm

Yet another example of "The worlds gone crazy"
This seems to be a direct bastard child born from Covid
Pre Covid, if anybody's family pet bitch got in pup to some wandering dog from the next street across,,,, the offspring were either dispatched
forthwith,,,, or given away if possible to somebody that wanted a "mongrel" dog or bitch.
In fact,,,, in the not too far distant past, crossbreds (mongrels) were despised by many, and in fact actively discouraged by both vets and registered breeders.
Discouraged for many good reasons, due to the often "accident waiting to happen" bad mix of ill suited genes/traits.

Although a lot of the world wide recognized breeds of dogs that we have today, were in fact brought about by many years of careful and specialized cross breeding, in breeding, line breeding etc,,,,,,,,, they were done by careful and highly skilled experts,,,,,,,,,,,, not by "back yarders" looking for quick $$$$

However,,,,,,, don't get me totally wrong,,, some of the average mongrels made damn good pets and watch dogs.
Even so,, a vast many also did not,,,,,,,,,, and ended up attacking owners or children before being put down.
But in general, the average cross breeds aren't what could be considered well thought out mixes.
Some, in fact leave extreme doubts when it comes to the mixes of traits and instincts.

Sadly now,,, post Covid,, there are a multitude of backyarders cross breeding whatever they have,,,,, with whatever comes available by either intent or accident.
These pups are now advertised everywhere,, under whatever mixture/name the owners can invent,, as if they are a breed of eons.
These back yarders I think,, actually believe the jargon that is evident in their adverts,,,,, along with the ever increasing $$$$ price tags.

But, at the end of the day,,,,,,,,, they are none other than "mongrels"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Once upon a time they were "mongrels"

Post by deye243 » 30 Sep 2022, 1:03 am

Well as a long time pit bull owner (30 years) as I am not as strong as I used to be my next mutt will be a Belgian Malinois as I can't stand a dog without discipline it is the main reason I went with the pit bread all those years ago .
Do not believe all the crap you have heard about pitbulls person who owns them not the dog they would have to be one of the most squared away dogs I ever come across but the Belgian Malinois is my next mutt as I can stand there and hardly move and exercise the dog at the same time pits are not that forgiving .
Problem is a Belgian Malinois is a very expensive proposition but we all set our sights in life .
Ps no offence mate but every vet I ever spoke to agreed that cross breeds were far superior in breeding disease and common problem resistance just look at labradors German shepherd with hip dysplasia strongest dogs in this country are kelpies red and blue heelers look at the history these dogs have more than 4 to 6 breeds in them don't ever believe that pedigreed is the best dog for a certain job in fact pedigree dogs are riddled with medical issues.
One of the reasons why the Kelpie is such a good Australian sheep and cattle dog is they actually have a small percentage of dingo in them and when you see the Stance of a working Kelpie look at the Stance of a working Dingo all sorts of Bells ring on that one for me .
Anyway no offence received or implied have a great day
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 30 Sep 2022, 5:34 am

"Once we crossed a Bulldog with a Shih Zhu.............."
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 30 Sep 2022, 7:51 am

Once i went to a town in country Vic, it had a zoo. But only one animal in it. It was a s**t...zoo

Ok technically pure bred are weak and have health issues due to the inbreeding. And how some breed staves are where they favour the look over function. While cross breeds can go two ways where it picks up the good traits of the parents or the bad traits.

I have looked into this quite a bit as i know a few pretty skip owners and have bought 3 pure bred dogs and wife was a registered breeder of cats for a few years. personally think this started a couple years ago when in many states pet shops were banned from selling pups and kitens as they were liable to be bred at puppy farms.

But the thing used to differentiate the dodgy backyarders from registered breeders and pet shops was they were cheaper while the breeders and pet shops usually require the buyers to neuter the animals.

Now the backyarders are charging more then registered breeders, seeking puppies from the back of car boots in bunnings car parks. The govt misses out on TAX/GST and we get bad, really dodgy genetic lines of pure bred and ofcourse the muts where you paying more for the mutt then pure bred from a registered breeder that gives you a health guarantee, vet checked and neutered (kittens) pets
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Sep 2022, 8:57 am

They cracked down on "puppy farms" due to abuse and mistreatment of the dogs.
Now any f#@kwit can breed any cross or "purebred", put a bullsh!t trendy sounding name on the result, whack them on social media/gumtree at $1000's of dollars per pup and they're sold almost instantly. Try to tell me that if someone's bitch drops a litter of 1/2 a dozen pups and they sell them off at a couple of grand each ( $CASH$), that they aren't going to breed the poor bitch as much as they can.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 30 Sep 2022, 10:06 am

Kelpies don't have dingo genes. That's a myth.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2022, 10:32 am

Game Rancher and CZ 515,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yep, that was exactly the point I was making :thumbsup:
But one of the scary parts is,,, when things go pear shaped temperament or health wise,,,,,,,,, where will the back yard "breeders" be ?
Certainly not picking up the pieces I'd be betting.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

Rather an affordable mongrel than a " pedigree " pure blood.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 30 Sep 2022, 11:15 am

bigpete wrote:Rather an affordable mongrel than a " pedigree " pure blood.

Most mongrels with cool. Names are more then pure bred from registered breeders.

See my next post
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 30 Sep 2022, 11:26 am

Die Judicii wrote:Game Rancher and CZ 515,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yep, that was exactly the point I was making :thumbsup:
But one of the scary parts is,,, when things go pear shaped temperament or health wise,,,,,,,,, where will the back yard "breeders" be ?
Certainly not picking up the pieces I'd be betting.

Yep backyard fits are no where to be found. I mean what do you expect when you meet them in a car park.

Knew someone who bought a pug, it was a good breeder they met in the bunnings car park :lol: the puppy needed 8k worth of surgery on the first 3 months.

Atleast a mutt is probably got better genes
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2022, 11:31 am

All pugs should be put down as travesties against nature. Poor inbred f***ed up things
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 30 Sep 2022, 12:32 pm

Not all pure breeds have health issues, mostly the "designer" breeds.

We bred Norwegian Elkhounds in the 70s and 80s, our girls had direct lineage back to Norway, as did the boys we put over them.
We considered German Shepherds but after studying the genealogy of numerous lines, gave the idea away.

If the breeder's not interested in the ongoing health of their pups or the breed in general, they will inbreed and cause serious problems like hip displasia in Shepherds and Labradors etc.

Overall though, the "bitsas" have that hybrid vigor.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation