About being disappointed by interstate transfer fees

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

About being disappointed by interstate transfer fees

Post by jwai86 » 30 Sep 2022, 2:55 pm

Fees for registration transfers are a fact of life when it comes to purchasing firearms from another state, but it's still a disappointing feeling when a potential bargain located interstate turns out to be more expensive than buying brand new locally after adding an extra $150 or so in shipping and interstate transfer fees.

Does anyone else have interesting stories about their purchasing decisions getting cramped by such costs?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: About being disappointed by interstate transfer fees

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2022, 3:45 pm

Too many to list
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

No, as a long time buyer from mail order then online both local, interstate and overseas I have always been aware of post and handling fees and ensure I ask first before purchase rather than find out later. It's like auctions, be aware of the fact that almost all auction houses charge Buyer Premiums and find out what they are before bidding. Firearms from WA are a case in point, WA shipping has become very expensive to the Eastern States due to factors outside our control.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 30 Sep 2022, 6:20 pm

I agree with No1Mk3 and to add, its also helpful to build a relationship with your local dealer. If buying new etc, give the opportunity to price match etc.

Having a good relationship with my local dealer means I don't pay any transfer fees from their end, the only cost is the PTA, new or used.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2022, 6:49 pm

jwai86 wrote:Fees for registration transfers are a fact of life when it comes to purchasing firearms from another state, but it's still a disappointing feeling when a potential bargain located interstate turns out to be more expensive than buying brand new locally after adding an extra $150 or so in shipping and interstate transfer fees.

Does anyone else have interesting stories about their purchasing decisions getting cramped by such costs?

Shipping should only be about $60 from Qld down to country Victoria, sometimes less.
Dealers may charge extra for an "interstate transfer" so that might be $50 perhaps.
Ordering a firearm from WA could be exorbitant.

Yes, add up the extras and you will often find it's cheaper to order from your own dealer, or at least near enough to not be worth ordering from elsewhere.
The issue comes up when you want something your dealer doesn't have or can't get.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 30 Sep 2022, 6:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:The issue comes up when you want something your dealer doesn't have or can't get.

And a good dealer shouldn't have an issue helping you out in this circumstance.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2022, 7:10 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The issue comes up when you want something your dealer doesn't have or can't get.

And a good dealer shouldn't have an issue helping you out in this circumstance.

Yep, my dealer can't get me lots of stuff, but he doesn't complain when I have to order from elsewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 30 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm

Yes but that's because you have a good relationship with them.

You probably go there regularly and buy stuff that he has in stock even if more expensive then in Melbourne
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2022, 8:35 pm

cz515 wrote:Yes but that's because you have a good relationship with them.

You probably go there regularly and buy stuff that he has in stock even if more expensive then in Melbourne

Yes, I do. Whatever I'm chasing I check with them first, just in case they might have it on the shelf. If I manage to drop in and they don't have what I'm chasing I try to grab a brick of primers, or .22LR ammo or something.

Having to travel to Melbourne to collect anything adds enormously to the cost, and not just in fuel, time is even more valuable, and I really hate wasting it behind the wheel of a car. If I could still ride though, I'd happily dash up there on a bike, or anywhere else :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 30 Sep 2022, 9:16 pm

As bladeracer said, travel to Melbourne is a big cost and really the prices aren't that much different to most city stores anyway and I am happy keeping money within my local community.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 30 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:Shipping should only be about $60 from Qld down to country Victoria, sometimes less.
Dealers may charge extra for an "interstate transfer" so that might be $50 perhaps.

$150 was an estimate I used for the total added cost of interstate shipping and transfer fees. I've since confirmed how much a couple of dealers in Sydney charge to process incoming firearms transfers from interstate, but I wasn't off by that much.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 07 Oct 2022, 10:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Fees for registration transfers are a fact of life when it comes to purchasing firearms from another state, but it's still a disappointing feeling when a potential bargain located interstate turns out to be more expensive than buying brand new locally after adding an extra $150 or so in shipping and interstate transfer fees.

Shipping should only be about $60 from Qld down to country Victoria, sometimes less.

Yes, add up the extras and you will often find it's cheaper to order from your own dealer, or at least near enough to not be worth ordering from elsewhere.
The issue comes up when you want something your dealer doesn't have or can't get.

Shipping a rifle interstate is fraught with danger & as a Club Armourer/Dealer can be far more expensive than you realise..
Problems start when you quote the purchaser $60 to send firearm from say Northern NSW to Victoria. You think to yourself "Yeah, $60 should cover it"
Then you find after you have securely boxed the rifle up & go to local Post Office & they run a tape over the box & it measures up at 110cm in length..
They then refuse to accept it as apparently Australia Post uses square wire crates 105cm x 105cm & if it dont fit into crate it dont go.
I have had local P O knock me back for box measuring 106cm--a lousy one centimetre & they will not accept it !!
So then you have no alternative but to send it road transport.
However carriers like TNT & others refuse to carry firearms as they say for security reasons driver has to stay with truck 24/7 !!
You try somebody like TOLL who will transport "Dangerous Goods" but you get a quote of $240 !!!
So you then try Star- Track which is owned by Australia Post & are renowned for very poor slack service & they still quote you $133
In the end you accept that you will have to go with Star Track & pay $133 & cop a $73 dollar loss on the sale.
I know because I have been there. Now if possible I remove stock from rifle prior to shipping.
However on some of the older rifles particularly military rifles its not that easy to remove stock & you have no alternative but to ship in one piece
Now prior to advising a purchaser of shipping costs I check first the length of rifle, if a carbine their not to bad.
I also check if it is necessary to remove stock or if it is too difficult that I have to ship in one piece.
These simple checks on rifle length & stock removal can save many headaches for dealers/sellers/buyers of rifles. ..
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 08 Oct 2022, 6:55 am

I'm in NSW and it seems that qld dealers offer the best pricing. I have bought from cleavers and after paying freight cost have still ended up in front, only because I found a dealer in NSW who does the transfer for free. I always make sure I buy ammo though because I feel guilty taking advantage of the free service.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 09 Oct 2022, 8:41 pm

Lsfan wrote:I'm in NSW and it seems that qld dealers offer the best pricing. I have bought from cleavers and after paying freight cost have still ended up in front, only because I found a dealer in NSW who does the transfer for free. I always make sure I buy ammo though because I feel guilty taking advantage of the free service.

The lowest transfer fee I've managed to find from dealers in the Sydney area so far is $50. Quite a few charge extra for interstate transfers because of Cleaver's stealing their business :P
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 09 Oct 2022, 8:49 pm

Lets be honest gunshops dont really want to do transfers, they'd rather just sell you a new gun and scope. End rant :lol: :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Over The Hill » 09 Oct 2022, 9:13 pm

I am in WA and bought & sold many firearms interstate over the years, both rifle and handgun,. All shipping has to be done through a dealer in WA which adds to the cost and recipient also needs to be a dealer or club armourer. Last pricing I had in March this year was $150 transport from NSW to WA. If sending east then $50 dealer fee on top for handling and to process the paperwork to have the firearm removed from your licence. If having a firearm shipped into WA then its $50 for the handling and Serviceability Certificate needed for the licence application and storage fees until your licence is issued which is currently at least 2 months. Storage fees depend on the dealer but prob around $50 a month. If you are looking at new then prob not worth it as the serviceability certificate comes included if you purchase from your WA dealer and you then have local support if there is any issues but if you are after something rare or specific that can only be obtained from the east then its a cost of around $250 you just have to factor into your decision.
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 10 Oct 2022, 7:11 am

I have found most shops around me charge $100 for an interstate transfer despite if it is a private purchase or from a shop like C and local transfers are $50. I used to get them for $20 + $15 for PTA now I do the PTA online $9.20
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation