any it dudes here

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

any it dudes here

Post by northdude » 04 Oct 2022, 7:20 pm

I have a question for the computer dudes. So I had a laptop that I put new hard drive in and put windows 10 on it and it was working fine, then the keyboard crapped out on the lap top. I had another laptop that the kids use to use for school that had windows 8 on it. Now I don't know s**t about computers other than if it gives you trouble you should take it out the back and shoot it. As far as I could figure out and a couple of people told me that the windows(8) couldn't be removed from this particular hard drive and I was getting messages saying it would no longer be supported. No problems I thought so I've taken the hard drive out of first laptop with windows 10 on it and put it in second laptop. Now the problem is the computer is saying there's no operating system on the hard drive, It was on there and working before I removed it, What could of happened to it? or does it not work just swapping one hard drive to another computer?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: any it dudes here

Post by ob1 » 04 Oct 2022, 7:26 pm

Maybe the BIOS on the computer thinks that there is a partition on the old drive that holds the operating system, while the newly installed drive may not have the same setup. Perhaps check the BIOS and see what is there.

Or . . . . . . . https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transf ... se-new-pc/

If you bought the newer laptop with Windows 10 OEM factory installed it may not be a transferable copy and may not work on different hardware.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 04 Oct 2022, 7:41 pm

MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 04 Oct 2022, 7:49 pm

MtnMan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4

Hahaha :D

Anyway generally windows is "locked" to a computer so if you just swap the hard drive from one to another it doesn't work. So you were Able to swap a hard drive, i reckon swap the keyboard in the original laptop.

There is ways to get the hard disk to work on a completely new computer but i an no help as is been that long they didn't even have Windows 8 when i was playing with computers last :thumbsup:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 04 Oct 2022, 7:51 pm

In other words if i had the laptop infront of me i might be able to research and with trial abs error eventually get it to work... but i can't help you from here
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Larry » 04 Oct 2022, 8:32 pm

Very hard to get a hard drive from one computer to boot up in another computer after being swapped. The boot up process contains all the drivers for parts on the mother board so without those installed it just wont work.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by northdude » 05 Oct 2022, 3:41 am

Larry wrote:Very hard to get a hard drive from one computer to boot up in another computer after being swapped. The boot up process contains all the drivers for parts on the mother board so without those installed it just wont work.

Thanks thought there might be something like that
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Off topic - General conversation