When we become the "cashless society"

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

When we become the "cashless society"

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2022, 3:31 pm

Not so much "if", but simply a matter of "when" this all comes to pass,,,,,,,
I'm wondering if there is gonna be a clearing sale of Bank safes and vaults ? :unknown:

Could be an opportunity to get myself a new gun safe or two.

:lol: :D :thumbsup: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: When we become the "cashless society"

Post by Fionn » 09 Oct 2022, 3:54 pm

Aren't we already? can't remember the last time I used cash to buy something.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 09 Oct 2022, 4:46 pm

still quite a few little cash economy's out there
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Noisydad » 09 Oct 2022, 5:32 pm

I take cash for my forged iron ware at my market stall although card payments are account for a smidge more than 50% of my sales. I’d prefer cash but if it means getting the sale then I’ll happily accept card payments.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 12 Oct 2022, 5:24 am

I'd think we have 5-10 years left of cash at most, maybe by 2025-27 they'll start phasing it out & by 2030-2032 it won't be legal tender anymore.

Once this happens true decentralized cryptocurrency is the only thing that will save people, these cbdc are programmable so makes me worry for the future of gun ownership.
"Oh sorry sir, you can only one box of ammo a month"...amongst other things.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 12 Oct 2022, 10:27 am

Yep you will be controlled by someone else as far as what you can/ are allowed to buy goes. Sorry your card has declined
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 12 Oct 2022, 10:33 am

northdude wrote:Yep you will be controlled by someone else as far as what you can/ are allowed to buy goes. Sorry your card has declined

Further to that:
"We need someone with your skills to work in another part of the country within two weeks, your card will stop working anywhere else at that time"

They can have my cash when they can pry it from my cold dead hand :D
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Oct 2022, 4:52 pm

I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

The technology is there but it isn't reliable enough to do away with cash, especially outside our cities, there needs to be a way to pay in the absence of connectivity.

It might work small countries the size of a postage stamp but not here in Australia.

Also, speak with anyone who's experienced a run on banks and ask them if they trust a digital only wealth storage after they've been turned away without their money.

Besides, where's the joy of sitting a bank card on the railway tracks? ... making wishes in the well or fountain ? How's the tooth fairy pay ? Tossing a coin or two to a busker, donation tins,
We need coins for that too.

It won't happen
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 12 Oct 2022, 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 12 Oct 2022, 4:55 pm

Lazarus wrote:They can have my cash when they can pry it from my cold dead hand :D

Whilst that might sound good, there will come a time when cash is no longer considered legal tender & any cash anyone has hidden will become useless

I don't know if it will ever come to pass, but something else they can do with cbdc is give it an expiry. So if you don't spend it by a certain date you lose it, I don't think that will happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did....
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lazarus » 12 Oct 2022, 4:58 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

The technology is there but it isn't reliable enough to do away with cash, especially outside our cities, there needs to be a way to pay in the absence of connectivity.

It might work small countries the size of a postage stamp but not here in Australia.

Also, speak with anyone who's experienced a run on banks and ask them if they trust a digital only wealth storage after they've been turned away without their money.

Besides, where's the joy of sitting a bank card on the railway tracks? ... making wishes in the well or fountain ? How's the tooth fairy pay ? Tossing a coin or two to a busker, donation tins,

It won't happen

Also, how would our fearless leaders get their under the table kickbacks?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 12 Oct 2022, 4:59 pm

S O K A R wrote:
Lazarus wrote:They can have my cash when they can pry it from my cold dead hand :D

Whilst that might sound good, there will come a time when cash is no longer considered legal tender & any cash anyone has hidden will become useless

I don't know if it will ever come to pass, but something else they can do with cbdc is give it an expiry. So if you don't spend it by a certain date you lose it, I don't think that will happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did....

Hopefully I'll be nothing but ash in an urn by then
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Oct 2022, 5:07 pm

Lazarus wrote:

It won't happen

So true.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 12 Oct 2022, 6:08 pm

Lazarus wrote:

It won't happen

Simple the way they do now drugs diamonds gold properties you name it list is endless
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bradley33 » 17 Oct 2022, 12:18 pm

its the age old dilemma with non valuable currency, a crazy king can devalue coins to the value of the tin or copper. With gold or silver in the coins, the King, his lunatic kid, or the conqueror can say whatever he wants but you still have some precious metal in your pocket.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Lazarus » 17 Oct 2022, 12:53 pm

The value of currency is only the trust we place in the system that issues it to accept its face value for an appropriate value in goods or services

In my admittedly jaundiced view, the push by governments towards the abolition of cash is all about tracking, monitoring and control.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bradley33 » 17 Oct 2022, 1:23 pm

wonder how the drug trade will work with digital currency. All those kids popping pills and smoking weed, pretty big numbers. I dont think bartering garden vegetables for a bag of pills is going to work .And the guys up the chain can only use so many stolen TV's and bikes. :D
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Oct 2022, 2:54 pm

bradley33 wrote:its the age old dilemma with non valuable currency, a crazy king can devalue coins to the value of the tin or copper. With gold or silver in the coins, the King, his lunatic kid, or the conqueror can say whatever he wants but you still have some precious metal in your pocket.

I'm also a fan of investment metal's and do enjoy stacking however as history has shown, with the stroke of a pen it can be made illegal to keep precious metal just as America did with Executive Order 6102
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
I believe nobody was ever prosecuted for breaching the order including some of those in power who were known to keep gold and never handed in a single ounce. :thumbsup:

bradley33 wrote:wonder how the drug trade will work with digital currency. All those kids popping pills and smoking weed, pretty big numbers. I dont think bartering garden vegetables for a bag of pills is going to work .And the guys up the chain can only use so many stolen TV's and bikes. :D

I believe that's a big part of the reason the conversation happens amongst government ranks,
There are 300 million AU $100 notes in circulation which are mostly unaccounted for.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-19/ ... ys/7181054
Big duffel bags of cash are changing hands and they'd like to stop it from happening.
It's another good reason to come down hard on the digital currencies like Bitcoin.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation