Linux

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Linux

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2022, 4:37 pm

My wife's laptop is getting on. Win 8.1 will not be supported beyond January 2023. Her needs are not great. Internet mainly.
Sooo, I'm thinking of trying Linux Mint on it.

Recommended?
Any users here?
Is it easy to install?
Easy user transition from windoooze?
Comes with most apps, is that right?
Traps for young players?
Is security ok?

Any comments welcome.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Linux

Post by Apollo » 30 Oct 2022, 5:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My wife's laptop is getting on. Win 8.1 will not be supported beyond January 2023. Her needs are not great. Internet mainly.

Recommended?
Any users here?
Is it easy to install?
Easy user transition from windoooze?
Comes with most apps, is that right?
Traps for young players?
Is security ok?

Any comments welcome.

Hi Pal,

I have been playing with Linux since the early 1990's. I have been a computer and Microsoft Engineer for some years around then.

At the start Linux was not easy but now it's a Plug n Play..

What ever computer you have, I suggest you buy a new Hard Drive and do an install then learn so you keep all your information.

It looks like windows and is easy to use the GUI .

If you want a yarn then send me a PM.

Cheers, Lindsay
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Oct 2022, 5:51 pm

Or Ask "BladeRacer" He's an EXPERT in everything.... Just look at his post count...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2022, 6:04 pm

Apollo wrote:Or Ask "BladeRacer" He's an EXPERT in everything.... Just look at his post count...

I don't think post count indicates anything except a willingness to share stuff online :-)

I'm expert in very, very, very few things, and totally oblivious in the vast majority of subjects.

I learned BASIC in school then started with DOS in '93 and moved onto Windows. I played with Linux a few times in it's early days but found the learning curve too steep (I was running my own business and studying nights which didn't leave much spare time), plus I was mainly into flight sim games which wouldn't run on Linux. My brother is a programmer so he explained the advantages of Linux many, many times over the years. I played a bit with C++ and VB. I never seriously had any interest in programming anything but I always wanted to build something that would help me price up building projects. More recently I've used Linux on boot DVD's to sort problems when a Win system won't boot up, and it is now far, far simpler to use.

I agree with your suggestion, use it alongside Windows until you're comfortable with swapping across to it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2022, 9:04 pm

There is no rush. Wife is not a big user. I was thinking of down loading and running off a USB and having a play.

Haven't even looked at the laptop specs yet. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 30 Oct 2022, 9:10 pm

Just sell 10 primers and get a new laptop with Windows 11 mate you can get a decent one for under $700 bucks or even under $600

Baring that look into upgrading to Windows 10... as it used to be a free option. No idea if it's still the case.

Lastly windows 8.1 will still run, just you will not get security updates. Which is not as much a thing to worry about as you may think (as long as you got anti virus software etc).

But if you want to go linux for your wife laptop (not your own).... go for it. :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2022, 9:35 pm

The last decade or so I've found every time I want to upgrade my video I also needed a new motherboard, CPU, ram, and so on. I really haven't seen much upgradability in my last few systems. This last time, last year, I ended up having to go to Win11 as well, which did annoy me. It actually hasn't been much different from Win10. Biggest annoyance is probably the menu system they switched to in file manager. I never used Win8 as I stayed with Win7 as long as I could then jumped to Win10 when forced to by hardware requirements. I think nowadays there's not much that won't run on a modern Linux system.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 Oct 2022, 9:53 pm

Blade...

Share stuff online...really....

By the time you made a start with MS DOS I had already had a few MS renewals for certifications to repair their very faulty operating system which
to this day is still faulty and they charge a fortune for people to become certified to fix their working system errors.

I have had Linux ever since it was released to the public, every version of MS DOS and Windows since it was first invented. How about CPM...know anything about
that operating system..."" Yet alone UNIX which I doubt any person has the money to afford a licence to use it. I got a lot of experience with UNIX when I worked as
Radio Engineer using a UNIX Based system to control data being sent over a radio frequency....(Packet Radio).

Post count yes means nothing but replying to about every post made is a different story especially when the replies are useless information .

I have been on this Forum virtually since it's inception. It's a real pity that the guys that started it as a means for like minded firearms owners to share information and thoughts has gone down the drain really. So many topics about rubbish "Off Topic and or General Conversation" has taken a big section of posts.

Even this topic... "Oldbloke" has been here a long time and should know that "Off Topic" threads usually go to arguments and get deleted eventually. And, "Oldbloke" isn't really that old...we had that discussion a few years ago...

Now...

Linux Mint is just a "Cut Down" version and has it's own problems compared to running a Full Linux System. Something like running MS Windows in a Window under Linux. Much better discussed in a dedicated Forum, not a Firearms Forum.

Blade, I'm sorry but you comment too too much about stuff you don't know about...like precision shooting.

Have fun... I told you a long time ago I lost interest in this Forum when you came and took over with your comments about everything and anything.

Cheers.... I'll go back and crawl into my hole and laugh now and again when I see and read silly posts. A few members I have seen that show a genuine interest in learning the finer arts I have directed to designated Forums that specially cater for their interests....like long range target competition, even Rimfire. I have said enough.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2022, 11:20 pm

I have no interest in programming or even in computers, other than what I need to know to operate them, and I make no claim other than that, so I have no idea what your beef is - feel free to share your credentials, they mean nothing to me as I don't have any interest within the field. I don't want to know anything about Linux or that other stuff you mention as I have zero interest in it. All I have offered is my own opinion based on my own experience. There is nothing wrong with commenting about "stuff I don't know about", clearly the subject is of some interest or I wouldn't bother posting. I don't claim that anything I "know" is correct, and I certainly don't claim that anything I say is the only correct way to do something. If I post something that is not correct I expect somebody that knows better to educate me in the matter, I want to learn as much as anybody else does. I have been educated many, many times by members here, perhaps even yourself, and I live in the expectation of being corrected every time I'm wrong in the future. I try to avoid posting "useless information" so I don't know what problem you have decided you want to have with me.

I agree about all the OT topics, so I generally avoid even reading them, my interest here is in firearms, shooting and hunting. It's really fairly simple, if you don't like reading off topic posts, like myself, do as I do and simply don't peruse them. Occasionally I find something that relates to firearms but doesn't fit into one of the specific forums, so I might post it to the OT forum. I don't start all that many threads myself, so I just had a quick look at what I might have posted that would've upset you. I looked at the first two pages of current threads for topics that I started, and they include a new MDT chassis, my own .303 thread, an interview with a hunter that was shot by a poacher, a shipment of pistol powders coming to Australia, Labor banning bow hunting in SA, Aguila producing primers, an interesting wildcat by Lazzeroni, and a response I received about shooting from my local Member - these were active topics this month so probably not "useless". I think I would have to go a very long way back to find a thread I posted to the Off-Topic forum. I'm not going to trawl through the 150-odd posts I made this month, but if you want to do so please let me know how many of them fit your definition of "useless information", keeping in mind that myself and others probably don't share your opinion of what might be "useless".

I don't recall you ever making any such statement to me, or even posting such a statement generally. I genuinely have zero idea of what you are so upset about. If you don't like me for whatever reason simply block me and you won't see anything I post or respond to - easy.

If you want a ridiculously high post count because you believe it means something (I can assure you that it does not), then post stuff. You do plenty of shooting and rifle building so you very likely have plenty of knowledge if you wanted to share it with others. A high post count simply results from being close to a computer as much as possible and staying engaged with the forum. I use the forum as much as my own repository of what I'm doing as I do to help other people. For many years my only regular contact with my daughter was via Facebook, so I learned to keep it close by all the time - old habits die hard :-)

Read the original post, you'll see the statement "Any comments welcome.", he's not asking just for comments from you. I have used various forms of Linux and I have formed an opinion in doing so, I merely shared that opinion, and hopefully it is of some use (if not it can merely be ignored). Oddly enough, my opinion happens to coincide precisely with yours in this instance :-)

Apollo wrote:Blade...

Share stuff online...really....

By the time you made a start with MS DOS I had already had a few MS renewals for certifications to repair their very faulty operating system which
to this day is still faulty and they charge a fortune for people to become certified to fix their working system errors.

I have had Linux ever since it was released to the public, every version of MS DOS and Windows since it was first invented. How about CPM...know anything about
that operating system..."" Yet alone UNIX which I doubt any person has the money to afford a licence to use it. I got a lot of experience with UNIX when I worked as
Radio Engineer using a UNIX Based system to control data being sent over a radio frequency....(Packet Radio).

Post count yes means nothing but replying to about every post made is a different story especially when the replies are useless information .

I have been on this Forum virtually since it's inception. It's a real pity that the guys that started it as a means for like minded firearms owners to share information and thoughts has gone down the drain really. So many topics about rubbish "Off Topic and or General Conversation" has taken a big section of posts.

Even this topic... "Oldbloke" has been here a long time and should know that "Off Topic" threads usually go to arguments and get deleted eventually. And, "Oldbloke" isn't really that old...we had that discussion a few years ago...

Now...

Linux Mint is just a "Cut Down" version and has it's own problems compared to running a Full Linux System. Something like running MS Windows in a Window under Linux. Much better discussed in a dedicated Forum, not a Firearms Forum.

Blade, I'm sorry but you comment too too much about stuff you don't know about...like precision shooting.

Have fun... I told you a long time ago I lost interest in this Forum when you came and took over with your comments about everything and anything.

Cheers.... I'll go back and crawl into my hole and laugh now and again when I see and read silly posts. A few members I have seen that show a genuine interest in learning the finer arts I have directed to designated Forums that specially cater for their interests....like long range target competition, even Rimfire. I have said enough.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 31 Oct 2022, 3:07 am

Oldbloke wrote:My wife's laptop is getting on. Win 8.1 will not be supported beyond January 2023. Her needs are not great. Internet mainly.

Simple answer is it's just Microsoft Support will finish, it's been a long time since Microsoft provided system upgrades to Windows 8.1.

If you are worried about security then make sure you have a 3rd Party antivirus and malware product installed and I suggest anything other than Norton's which has more problems than you can poke a stick at.

Think about upgrading everything, maybe the computer might have other problems with it's age and may not have to power to be up to date. Computers are a disposable item, even 2nd hand they are not worth much and can be purchased for an upgrade cheap.

You can I think still upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free...see Microsoft Site...do a Google..

My current PC runs Windows 10 but it cannot run the new Windows 11. I am too old to want to upgrade anyway, I'll be dead before I see any benefit.

In my 50 years of playing/fixing computers I have never ever actually paid Microsoft for an operating system, I always had a means of obtaining one but I have paid Microsoft a number of times to be classified as a Systems Engineer to fix their own errors, mostly by my employer.

I have installed/ played with most Linux versions ever released. Redhat being one of the the best but now they want money. uBuntu is very good.

If your computer will allow a 2nd Operating System and/or a 2nd Hard Drive (even a Digital Solid State) then go that way for a backup and transfer your important data across.

I have a 2nd hand (exLease) Laptop (cost was $250 from eBay) here that is more modern and quicker than my Dell PC running Windows 10. I use it as a backup and I have several Hard Drives that I can swap out in minutes that contain my personal and business (GST/Tax Returns). I have about 6 PC's and 2 Laptops that run from Windows 3 to Windows 10 and they all operate fine. I have an email program called "Mailwasher" that vets all my emails, I run Windows Defender on one PC and I use that to check my other computers for anything strange (Networked) like a virus. I don't play with funny sites nor accept emails unless they are vetted.

Windows 11 I can't run unless I but a new computer and I am not going to do that because I'll be dead before I get any benefit from an upgrade.

Linux is a learning curve and a different although close GUI to Windows. I would not suggest a broken down version like Mint.

If you want some more info/advice then I'd suggest PM me and I'll give you and/or get a contact phone number and I'll fill/help you in further.

I'm sorry but my post/s may seems a bit off but a very dear friend co-worker of 40 years (past away) that was a District Commander for SES and in charge of the area Mid West Health Dept computer network died late last week and like a few friends that were younger than me it's a bit much to handle.

Don't panic...... Cheers
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 9:20 am

Hi,
Thankyou both for your input.
Apollo, thx for the offer to help but i don't want to put you to the trouble. Sounds like your not well. Very sorry to hear about your mate. My condolences.

My wife's use doesn't warrant a new laptop.

And as I mentioned only very basic requirements. The issue is the security updates ending soon.
Our internet here is sh1t.
So, next time I'm at the daughters I'll try and update to Win10. (free?) But I suspect it will struggle on Win10.
I'll also down load a copy of Linux onto a flash to try myself.

Specs suggest it will run Linux, no issues.
Intel b960
4gig ram
500gig HDD

But if its a "learning curve" wife will unlikely cope.
I would need a version very close to windoooze and there are a heap of options and unless you see it operating it's a bloody raffle.

Another option is to just set up my laptop for a second user. (more research lol)

Thanks again.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 31 Oct 2022, 9:34 am

Oldbloke wrote:My wife's use doesn't warrant a new laptop.

What such disrespect, what about equality of the sexes, #meto in 2022 etc etc etc. that's the same logic i used to hear where people would buy a hotted up v8 or turbo jap car but for their misus a toyota corolla cuz surely she can't handle anymore power then the corolla.

I said that already. Don't even need to know your wife.

As i said, do the right thing don't be a stingy ol fart. get a new laptop. I got my son a new laptop last month i5, 512gb sold state hard drive, 512ram, long battery life. And it was $699... so much so i even upgraded the warranty to 3 years next business day where technicians come to my home and fix the laptop.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 10:42 am

cz515 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:My wife's use doesn't warrant a new laptop.

What such disrespect, what about equality of the sexes, #meto in 2022 etc etc etc. that's the same logic i used to hear where people would buy a hotted up v8 or turbo jap car but for their misus a toyota corolla cuz surely she can't handle anymore power then the corolla.

I said that already. Don't even need to know your wife.

As i said, do the right thing don't be a stingy ol fart. get a new laptop. I got my son a new laptop last month i5, 512gb sold state hard drive, 512ram, long battery life. And it was $699... so much so i even upgraded the warranty to 3 years next business day where technicians come to my home and fix the laptop.

Well, you just tossed your money down the sewer.
I and a new CPU or was it the main board ( I think) fitted to my HP at home by a technician free of charge and it was I think close to 4 years old. Three at least. It was repaired because your entitled to it under Vic consumer laws. Just a couple of ph calls to HP. Ha Ha.

P.S. don't tell me how to spend my money drop kick. You have NFI what our needs are.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2022, 11:44 am

cz515 wrote:...so much so i even upgraded the warranty to 3 years next business day where technicians come to my home and fix the laptop.

Do they do this free of charge? Too often these things include charges in the fine print.
I don't believe in extended warranty, under consumer law here we already have decent warranty.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 1:00 pm

I fell for an extended warranty about 15 years ago. Paid extra but the service was free (harvey norman) but then wanted to charge a stupid amount to save (not delete) my data. As it happened I had backed up before sending it in for repairs. They did a sh1t job too. Never again.

I always push for repairs under consumer law. 90% of the time I get it fixed by them. Fukem. If they sell you sh1t, its theft IMO. You just need to know your rights and insist. Don't take no for an answer.

Extended warranty is just another name for "theft".
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 31 Oct 2022, 1:18 pm

Sorry i forget i speak to technophobes. Been in the field decades so i know what i am taking about. Who would buy a laptop from hardly normal, and their extended warranty ontop which is a ripoff. If you look at the contract they get a commission of 25-35% on the sale of their extended warranty.

I don't want to spend 2k for a laptop/desktop at hardly normal then have an argument for hours with someone who doesn't understand or care. Then wait weeks for someone to eventually look at my device and fix it.

Its far better use of my time to speak to someone, who might take 5-10 minutes to remotely check or diagnose the device and then send someone with parts etc to fix it the next day. That's the difference between consumer and business grade service. Which i will pay gladly for.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 1:33 pm

cz515 wrote:Sorry i forget i speak to technophobes. Been in the field decades so i know what i am taking about. Who would buy a laptop from hardly normal, and their extended warranty ontop which is a ripoff. If you look at the contract they get a commission of 25-35% on the sale of their extended warranty.

I don't want to spend 2k for a laptop/desktop at hardly normal then have an argument for hours with someone who doesn't understand or care. Then wait weeks for someone to eventually look at my device and fix it.

Its far better use of my time to speak to someone, who might take 5-10 minutes to remotely check or diagnose the device and then send someone with parts etc to fix it the next day. That's the difference between consumer and business grade service. Which i will pay gladly for.

I don't think so.

You just paid for an extended warranty. FFS.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 31 Oct 2022, 2:47 pm

Yes i called it extended warranty, which is not quite what it is....but i was hoping it makes sense. But i do laugh at been given a lesson in warranty for computer devices by an expert OH&S Consultant. Mate atleast give me some pointers on best practices to sit and use... some ergonomic suggestions i might even listen to that advice.

Its actually a service contract that includes accidental damage and malicious damage so when a kid drops the laptop and smashes the screen it will also be replaced free of charge.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2022, 3:02 pm

cz515 wrote:Sorry i forget i speak to technophobes. Been in the field decades so i know what i am taking about. Who would buy a laptop from hardly normal, and their extended warranty ontop which is a ripoff. If you look at the contract they get a commission of 25-35% on the sale of their extended warranty.

It's a laptop, buy one for a few hundred bucks, replace it with another one when it starts having issues. Also easily stolen so always keep them backed up onto something else. I bought five identical refurbished Asus laptops twenty years ago at a great deal, one for my daughter, my dad, his old mate, Rose and myself. We got terrific value out of them for many years. Mine was used mainly for tuning bikes and running on-board videos in the pits at the racetrack. I bought Rose a refurbished Acer when we moved here from Perth and it's still going really well. She had a drive crash a few years ago so we had to swap in a new drive, but she keeps everything backed up onto external drives so no loss. Zoom meetings are probably the hardest it has to work but it's used every day.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 31 Oct 2022, 9:09 pm

Ok, fair point blade. Many times good bargains can be had buying second hand.

My point was the one i got was at a price comparable to second hand that i decided to get the extra service contract via the manufacturer. At that price it was still a steal. And no you don't have to get it, if you happy dealing with the normal warranty process.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 9:45 am

bladeracer wrote:......... I was mainly into flight sim games which wouldn't run on Linux. .

Did you ever run the original EF2000?

I still have it but haven't got around to building a DOS computer to run it.
Tried DOSbox but no success
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:......... I was mainly into flight sim games which wouldn't run on Linux. .

Yep, the exterior graphics were astonishing when it came out. The gameplay didn't grab me though the dynamic campaign generator was amazing. I enjoyed Janes F15 more. Can you get a copy of the Windows version?
I don't have an optical drive in my box but I can try installing it via a USB drive.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 12:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

Yep, the exterior graphics were astonishing when it came out. The gameplay didn't grab me though the dynamic campaign generator was amazing. I enjoyed Janes F15 more. Can you get a copy of the Windows version?
I don't have an optical drive in my box but I can try installing it via a USB drive.

Never thought of that, it might be about somewhere as Eurofighter Typhoon, now I'm going to have to know.

Unfortunately my desktop has fried something in the motherboard or has dead ram, it hasn't worked for several years.
Eventually I want to build a new one and try to get at what's on the HD.

PS

Just found this in case you're interested

https://taw.fandom.com/wiki/Running_EF2 ... ern_System
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2022, 1:32 pm

Lazarus wrote:Never thought of that, it might be about somewhere as Eurofighter Typhoon, now I'm going to have to know.

Unfortunately my desktop has fried something in the motherboard or has dead ram, it hasn't worked for several years.
Eventually I want to build a new one and try to get at what's on the HD.

PS

Just found this in case you're interested

https://taw.fandom.com/wiki/Running_EF2 ... ern_System

I've been impressed with Win11 in it's ability to run lots of stuff that I could never get running on Win7, or even Win10. Wonder if I can get the old Fleet Defender running now. Carrier ops are the most fun for me with modern sims, I mainly prefer WW2 stuff. Been playing IL2 for twenty years. DCS is pretty amazing but ludicrously expensive once you feel like some variety. Last time I priced up all of DCS is was over $5000. Falcon BMS is incredible but the learning curve is steep.

Since I started wearing glasses in front of the computer I've struggled with flying, something is distorted or something and I haven't worked out what is wrong or how to address it, very frustrating :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 4:30 pm

I had a go at X plane for a while but the lack of combat environments put me off, who wants to spend hours flying to strange and interesting places if there aren't strange and interesting people the splash when you get there.

I priced a gaming PC just recently after giving up on the ps5.
Around the 3K mark with a decent gpu even more if you want 8K graphics and a monitor to display them, so that's another for the collection of fading dreams.
Like the Ducati :cry:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2022, 5:15 pm

Lazarus wrote:I had a go at X plane for a while but the lack of combat environments put me off, who wants to spend hours flying to strange and interesting places if there aren't strange and interesting people the splash when you get there.

I priced a gaming PC just recently after giving up on the ps5.
Around the 3K mark with a decent gpu even more if you want 8K graphics and a monitor to display them, so that's another for the collection of fading dreams.
Like the Ducati :cry:

X-Plane is a good engine, but I don't think they've built combat into it yet. FlightGear I still have installed but haven't spent much time in it. It (also GeoFS) has novelty in using GoogleEarth maps and terrain so you can fly around areas you're familiar with, like your own town (actually, I just read that they're using their own version of global mapping rather than GoogleEarth). The last MSFS I bought was 2004 and I probably spent less than a couple hours in it. I love IL2:1946, especially with the add-on packs available now - you end up with half a dozen separate installs of the game but have hundreds of different aircraft types you can fly. IL2 BoS and CloD are better visually but lack replayability I find. They're good if you just want to spend an hour having some fun. BoS might be good if you play online too, I don't though.

My last box cost me a bit but the GPU was a grand, and I think it was what eventually killed the box as I started having graphics issues first. When I built this one a cheaper card was still a decent step up over the previous one. My monitors are pretty old, I brought them over from Perth back in 2014. I put an SSD boot drive in the last box and it died within a few months so I replaced it with SATA drives. This box came with a 500Gb SSD boot drive just for the OS to run on, and a 2Tb SATA drive for apps to run from. I use a pair of 8TB external drives for games and movies. Still have a few dozen drives going back to '94.

A big issue for me is a flight stick with controls I can actually use, most of them expect your thumb to do a lot of work, and mine does none :-) I have to program most of the additional right hand controls over to the throttle quadrant.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 5:31 pm

Peripherals are getting crazy expensive as well.
I'm a tragic for racing sims as well as flight and when I was looking for a ps5, a wheel was anywhere from 600 for an alsoran to over 2000 for a fully featured and configurable wheel and 3 peddle set.

I saw one set-up that included a race seat, curved screen and motion actuators like a commercial race team rig and multiple cpu's and gpu's was over 30k.
That's some serious nerd toy.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2022, 6:14 pm

Lazarus wrote:Peripherals are getting crazy expensive as well.
I'm a tragic for racing sims as well as flight and when I was looking for a ps5, a wheel was anywhere from 600 for an alsoran to over 2000 for a fully featured and configurable wheel and 3 peddle set.

I saw one set-up that included a race seat, curved screen and motion actuators like a commercial race team rig and multiple cpu's and gpu's was over 30k.

I played with racing sims in the nineties, Indycar, Nascar, GP3&4 and such but didn't get into them enough to buy peripherals for that. The early GP500, Superbike series, and MotoGP series were good, I still have MotoGP18 and Valentino Rossi The Game installed. I bought one of the TOCA series because it had Wanneroo Racetrack included in it - might have to dig that one out again :-)

I have wondered whether a curved monitor might help with my vision, I'll end up getting one eventually I'm sure. My computer upgrades were driven by the rapidly evolving needs of flight sims for decades. Always annoyed me that they were never able to effectively make peripheral video cards. I always had to buy new cards, which also required different motherboards, which needed different CPU's and RAM. In the '90's I was running five CRT monitors at one stage, very useful for quoting jobs and playing online board games (via VASSAL).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Peripherals are getting crazy expensive as well.

I played with racing sims in the nineties, Indycar, Nascar, GP3&4 and such but didn't get into them enough to buy peripherals for that. The early GP500, Superbike series, and MotoGP series were good, I still have MotoGP18 and Valentino Rossi The Game installed. I bought one of the TOCA series because it had Wanneroo Racetrack included in it - might have to dig that one out again :-)

I have wondered whether a curved monitor might help with my vision, I'll end up getting one eventually I'm sure. My computer upgrades were driven by the rapidly evolving needs of flight sims for decades. Always annoyed me that they were never able to effectively make peripheral video cards. I always had to buy new cards, which also required different motherboards, which needed different CPU's and RAM. In the '90's I was running five CRT monitors at one stage, very useful for quoting jobs and playing online board games (via VASSAL).

I was watching some racing on tv earlier this year and it wasn't until the race finished that it twigged that it was an eSport event, it was so photorealistic.
I need the wheel, I don't know how people manage without.
I did a lot of online racing with Gran Turismo 6 loved racing other people instead of AI, but I didn't come close to qualifying for the big prize.
GT6 had the Gran Turismo Academy, where you could attempt harder and harder testing and the eventual winner got a contract to drive with a real team in a real Nismo GTR.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2022, 8:21 pm

Lazarus wrote:I was watching some racing on tv earlier this year and it wasn't until the race finished that it twigged that it was an eSport event, it was so photorealistic.
I need the wheel, I don't know how people manage without.
I did a lot of online racing with Gran Turismo 6 loved racing other people instead of AI, but I didn't come close to qualifying for the big prize.
GT6 had the Gran Turismo Academy, where you could attempt harder and harder testing and the eventual winner got a contract to drive with a real team in a real Nismo GTR.

I think it comes down to how the game engine is written, I think the more modern games are optimised toward a wheel. Nascar4 I found very difficult to play via keyboard, but I wasn't interested enough to spend on a steering wheel and pedals.
Yes, there's a virtual race series I followed on Youtube for a bit, very realistic.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation