Skynet Lives

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Skynet Lives

Post by Lazarus » 26 Nov 2022, 9:12 am

I read this article about the new publicly available AI programs this morning.

Things be getting spooky now.

But it does make me want to play with it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-26/ ... /101678206
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Re: Skynet Lives

Post by bigrich » 26 Nov 2022, 9:42 am

bizzare
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Nov 2022, 10:12 am

I don't like it....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 26 Nov 2022, 10:19 am

bigpete wrote:I don't like it....

I'm not a fan either pete, but I'm intrigued by new things, or anything shiny :lol:, and it's a bit like a child told that something is hot, sometimes you just feel the need to find out so you have to touch it to see for yourself

What worries me, with governments and industry increasingly looking to algorithms and AI to make decisions and control things, is what happens when the AI decides that people are the problem in the equation?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 26 Nov 2022, 7:15 pm

That’s seriously creepy. Hope I don’t have nightmares.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Nov 2022, 9:15 pm

It's got freaky chain mail vibes about it.

I don't believe it.

I will not google search it... because I'd like to remain of that view.

I don't think for one second that now I've clicked on that link, my device has now been infiltrated by some f***ed up artificial intelligence that's already created its own personality disorder and its going to inflict suffering until I get someone else to open the link.

I liked it better when we only had aliens to be scared of. I'm off to hide under my bed now
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Nov 2022, 5:57 am

some off the weaponised drones the millitary are playing with are scary . flying and tracked/walking . a quick google search will scare you . with AI and facial recognition tech we've got a right to be concerned . terminators aren't so far fetched now are they ?

what about clone technology ? they cloned a sheep about 30 years ago . in secret , what are they up too now ? think about it . a bunch of highly trained special forces/assasins with no families to miss them and deniability for government as they don't technically exist

a real doomsday sceanrio is how reliant we are on computers/internet for daily basics like food , fuel , ect . what would happen if a AI started messing with this ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Nov 2022, 8:13 am

Luckily AI as described in the op link doesn't actually exist, it's just something computer geeks theorise about.

I can't see true AI happening any time soon if ever, especially given science is yet to fully explain consciousness.

I'm happy for computers to remain as a box full of data that responds to commands with its predetermined values.

I'm much more concerned about overpopulation.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 9:07 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Luckily AI as described in the op link doesn't actually exist, it's just something computer geeks theorise about.

I can't see true AI happening any time soon if ever, especially given science is yet to fully explain consciousness.

I'm happy for computers to remain as a box full of data that responds to commands with its predetermined values.

Ah, but it does exist OOW, that's my worry.

If you have a conversation with the GPT-3 AI, it easily passes the Turing test.

It uses pronouns in reference to itself, it uses statements like "I think....."
Now I realise that's also a function of the algorithm design, but it shows a disturbing level of sophistication.

There's also one other thing to remember, this is Open-AI, publicly available for download.

What have the American National Security Agency, the Russian Internet Research Agency, the Chinese Ministry of State Security developed?

Israel's Elbit Systems have released their LANIUS loitering assassination drones that hang about waiting for their facial recognition software to tell their AI who to target.
Last I read about Elbit was their work on training these to work cooperatively in swarms.

Hence the title.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 9:38 am

Further to the above, another thing that I find disturbing is autopilot in new cars.

Fully autonomous autopilot in cars will have to include The Trolley Problem in its programming.

A short precis of it is as follows:
You see a runaway rail car, it's approaching a junction and you are standing at the switch controlling the rail points.
On the line ahead is a stalled bus full of shool kids, if you do nothing, they die.
On the diverging line is a little old lady, if you choose to save the children, she's hamburger.
The problem is who do you choose to kill.

This choice is integral in car autopilot so that it can choose the least worst option in an accident scenario.

I don't want a car to be making the decision to put me into a wall or power pole to save a third party, that's a choice I jealousy reserve for myself.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Nov 2022, 11:48 am

Lazarus wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Luckily AI as described in the op link doesn't actually exist, it's just something computer geeks theorise about.

Ah, but it does exist OOW, that's my worry.

If you have a conversation with the GPT-3 AI, it easily passes the Turing test.

It uses pronouns in reference to itself, it uses statements like "I think....."
Now I realise that's also a function of the algorithm design, but it shows a disturbing level of sophistication.

There's also one other thing to remember, this is Open-AI, publicly available for download.

What have the American National Security Agency, the Russian Internet Research Agency, the Chinese Ministry of State Security developed?

Israel's Elbit Systems have released their LANIUS loitering assassination drones that hang about waiting for their facial recognition software to tell their AI who to target.
Last I read about Elbit was their work on training these to work cooperatively in swarms.

Hence the title.

As does Siri
GPT is Generative Pre-trained Transformer, it's just a program.
Their just programmed responses to key words, for a computer it's just a basic jigsaw puzzle, it can search thr internet for results to questions by picking up on words like, what, who, where, when, does, how, today, tomorrow, next week. It performs name, place, object searches, reverse image searches, files of faces with dot to dot finger print style patterns all pretty basic but extremely detailed programming.
True AI does not exist outside science fiction.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

All very true OOW, I understand that the stuff in the public domain works that way and that the GIGO principle has become less of an issue with accessibility to the web making their responses more lifelike and, in the ultimate definition, it is not true AI.

It's the stuff that's still classified beyond top secret that worries me on the AI front.

That and using computers to make life and death traffic decisions.

You are right hhough, we haven't reached the ultimate dystopia yet

As far as we know.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Nov 2022, 1:38 pm

I prefer not to ponder on that stuff too much, there's nothing I can do ... until skynet attacks. When that happens I'll become part of the resistance.

The story you posted had me and the other half on the edge of our seats, unfortunately the creator ended it pretty softly, it would have been better if the story went on to say that individuals had been targeted and murdered by the AI using their devices to lure them into situations like been guided to a particular set of "smart" traffic lights which gave a green signal as a truck was barrelling though, Or having their entire life turned upside both financially and emotionally by a chain of vindictive messages, emails and phone calls to friends, family banks and employers from thr AI posing as them.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 2:12 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I prefer not to ponder on that stuff too much, there's nothing I can do ... until skynet attacks. When that happens I'll become part of the resistance.

The story you posted had me and the other half on the edge of our seats, unfortunately the creator ended it pretty softly, it would have been better if the story went on to say that individuals had been targeted and murdered by the AI using their devices to lure them into situations like been guided to a particular set of "smart" traffic lights which gave a green signal as a truck was barrelling though, Or having their entire life turned upside both financially and emotionally by a chain of vindictive messages, emails and phone calls to friends, family banks and employers from thr AI posing as them.

Oh, good onya, now you've got me wanting to hide under the bed :lol: :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 28 Nov 2022, 8:19 am

I was a little ahead of myself on the Lanius suicide drone.

It needs a human operator to initiate the explosive payload.

At the moment.

https://youtu.be/4McPHBQ9pNw
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 12:30 pm

Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 4:53 pm

s0RgBhT.jpg
s0RgBhT.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 7:00 pm

download (22).jpeg
download (22).jpeg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 16 Dec 2022, 11:32 am

Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 19 Dec 2022, 3:05 pm

We paranoids are sometimes actually right.

I've long know that my phone is spying on me :mrgreen: , I made a phone call a while back to ask a local steel retailer if they had a particular tool steel.

They didn't, but suggested someone else that might.

I didn't repeat the name, it was only spoken on the other end of the conversation.

I hung up, brought up google, which I had naively assumed was sleeping when turned "off", typed the first 2 letters of the name and it handed me that very name as 1st suggestion.
The google app was listening to both sides of the phone call

This is handy, but combined with the information in the below article makes me very happy that I live as small and grey online existence as possible.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-19/ ... /101780934
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 04 May 2023, 4:22 pm

It's not only we plebs who are concerned about AI.

https://theconversation.com/ai-pioneer- ... ime-204911
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 04 May 2023, 7:46 pm

Lazarus wrote:We paranoids are sometimes actually right.

I've long know that my phone is spying on me :mrgreen: , I made a phone call a while back to ask a local steel retailer if they had a particular tool steel.

I didn't repeat the name, it was only spoken on the other end of the conversation.

I hung up, brought up google, which I had naively assumed was sleeping when turned "off", typed the first 2 letters of the name and it handed me that very name as 1st suggestion.

This is handy, but combined with the information in the below article makes me very happy that I live as small and grey online existence as possible.

Depending on what phone you have (I have an android), but if you go into "developer options", scroll down to "quick settings developer tiles" you can activate a toggle for the sensors in your phone.
So basically while toggled on removing the apps ability to access your microphone, camera etc unless you toggle it off.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 05 May 2023, 9:15 am

Sailing to close to the wind as far as letting a computer rule your life for my liking. As they said pretty soon people wont be able to difirentiate between fantasy and reality as if it isnt that way already. Just another control experiment creeping our way....
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 05 May 2023, 9:33 am

S O K A R wrote:
Lazarus wrote:We paranoids are sometimes actually right.

Depending on what phone you have (I have an android), but if you go into "developer options", scroll down to "quick settings developer tiles" you can activate a toggle for the sensors in your phone.
So basically while toggled on removing the apps ability to access your microphone, camera etc unless you toggle it off.

Absolutely sokar, I have all permissions, location, NFC, UWB, etc off.

"They" might still get in, but it won't be due to my complacency.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 05 May 2023, 9:55 am

Talk to the right people and they will confim there are 2 levels in your phone one for you and one for them, Which you dont have access to
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 05 May 2023, 9:56 am

Cell phone is the best surveilance device created ever....
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 31 May 2023, 8:28 am

Even the people working on AI are scared of it, gotta say something.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-31/ ... /102413250
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2023, 1:18 pm

Off topic, but this is a concern for man kind also.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 31 May 2023, 2:58 pm

https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM

We're definitely on the way out OB, just a race to see which cause administers the vaccine for the human viral infection.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 31 May 2023, 6:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Off topic, but this is a concern for man kind also.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds

A large part of the problem is the unhealthy lifestyle majority of people lead, favoring processed "taste good" foods over wholefoods.
Not to mention the medical interventions that can also have an effect on fertility, amongst other things.
Definitely a range of issues causing it.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation