How much did each snake cost ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: How much did each snake cost ?

Post by Fionn » 08 Jan 2023, 6:34 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Obsessed? I don't think so.

Uh-huh, just a little bit., Thinking about me when I am not there (or posting) etc :lol:

Oldbloke wrote:Just not sure if it's a good thing having you here constantly checking & commenting about what we do and if its is lawful. Your intentions are not known and that concerns me.

So, ignorance is bliss?

Think as me as the community conscious, answering the legal questions that most don't know the answers to and shining the light on people who publicly post about breaking the law, though either ignorance or ill intent or simple because they don't understand it.

If you post something moronic, I am happy to point that out.

Wow, sounds much like my job. ;)
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2023, 6:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Obsessed? I don't think so. Just not sure if it's a good thing having you here constantly checking & commenting about what we do and if its is lawful. Your intentions are not known and that concerns me.

Personally I think it's good to have somebody willing to take people to task when found doing the wrong thing. Many people don't know what the laws are until they finally get caught breaking them, and then we get reports in the media blown way out of proportion and plays right into the hands of those trying to make us extinct. An idiot last week on FB posted photos of his child holding a rifle over some dead pests. From memory he was in Vic or NSW. The child was clearly younger than twelve years old thus illegal to have access to a firearm under any circumstances (in these states the child would have to be 12+ and have their own Junior licence). When I point these things out publicly I invariably get the abuse full of "do what you want on private property" and "are you going to dob him in" garbage, so I pointed it out to the group admins and they wiped the post - but it was still posted online so it is still evidence of illegal activity - some people are too stupid to own firearms I'm afraid.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 08 Jan 2023, 6:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:Yes, I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don't see it as the best approach.

OK you said before that
bladeracer wrote:Really stupid law that makes no sense to me

I was providing the sense.

So as you don't see it as the best approach, how would you address it?

bladeracer wrote:I follow a woman on FB that puts spiders into resin as ornaments and I often wonder how they ensure they're doing it lawfully. Another bloke puts sort of steampunk apparatus onto and within the remains of dead insects as artwork, again, how do they ensure the insects are sourced lawfully.

That's why there is a permit system to try and ensure its not just people killing animals. Take the spider example, how many dead spiders (which died naturally) have you could across? enough to make ornaments?
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2023, 7:17 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Yes, I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don't see it as the best approach.

OK you said before that
bladeracer wrote:Really stupid law that makes no sense to me

I was providing the sense.

So as you don't see it as the best approach, how would you address it?

bladeracer wrote:I follow a woman on FB that puts spiders into resin as ornaments and I often wonder how they ensure they're doing it lawfully. Another bloke puts sort of steampunk apparatus onto and within the remains of dead insects as artwork, again, how do they ensure the insects are sourced lawfully.

That's why there is a permit system to try and ensure its not just people killing animals. Take the spider example, how many dead spiders (which died naturally) have you could across? enough to make ornaments?

I understand the reasoning behind it, I don't consider the law to make sense. Hundreds of thousands of native animals are killed on our roads, there should be a means to allow people to make use of that rather than see it all wasted.

I didn't say I had a better approach, that's probably best left to the people within the industries relating to roadkill.

Good point, we would see dead spiders alone every day here, other insects on top of that, so certainly enough to make ornaments if I were so inclined. But how would I prove I was using a spider that died naturally rather than one I deliberately killed for the purpose - no idea. As an aside I'm laid up currently with what we think is a spider bite on my left forearm, large black area of dead flesh and my arm is very swollen and tender. Really stings when I let my arm hang down which I assume relates to blood flow or pressure. Today it is feeling a little better at last but still looks horrendous and is very tender so I may have to take it to a doctor tomorrow for a look. We're doing AI currently and I banged it gently against the race twice today, most unpleasant :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2023, 8:42 pm

Fionn wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Obsessed? I don't think so.

Uh-huh, just a little bit., Thinking about me when I am not there (or posting) etc :lol:

Oldbloke wrote:Just not sure if it's a good thing having you here constantly checking & commenting about what we do and if its is lawful. Your intentions are not known and that concerns me.

So, ignorance is bliss?

Think as me as the community conscious, answering the legal questions that most don't know the answers to and shining the light on people who publicly post about breaking the law, though either ignorance or ill intent or simple because they don't understand it.

If you post something moronic, I am happy to point that out.

Wow, sounds much like my job. ;)

Unfortunately police deal with morons all the time.

You conveniently ignored this.
"Your intentions are not known and that concerns me."
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 08 Jan 2023, 9:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Unfortunately police deal with morons all the time.

You conveniently ignored this.
"Your intentions are not known and that concerns me."

It's one of life's mysteries. ;)
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 11 Jan 2023, 10:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Obsessed? I don't think so. Just not sure if it's a good thing having you here constantly checking & commenting about what we do and if its is lawful. Your intentions are not known and that concerns me.

The intention is obvious OB, to cast pearls of wisdom before us lowly swine, the question is, how on Earth did we manage before Constable Karen arrived to lead us from the darkness of our ignorance?

Just imagine the benefits of having her as a neighbour, wouldn't that be grand?
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2023, 11:56 am

Naah you could just invite him over for some donuts and smooth things over.
Maybe a few more donuts in a brown paper bag to take home with him with a nudge and a wink
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Soopyyy » 11 Jan 2023, 1:06 pm

If I find a snake in my yard its getting tonged over the back fence. Who's going call the cops? It's not like he's got fingers.
Soopyyy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2023, 3:36 pm

That is an excellent point
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation