Something different

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Something different

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2023, 10:31 pm

As something different and,,, something that most (conventional) hunters probably don't put too much thought into,,,, but,
The way I operate, I'm sitting (usually only in one location) all night long playing the waiting game.
As such I am well equipped with tucker, tea, coffee etc:
But,,,,,,,,,,
Has anyone got any suggestions or methods to "QUIETLY" open the likes of a can of soft drink ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Something different

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2023, 11:07 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Has anyone got any suggestions or methods to "QUIETLY" open the likes of a can of soft drink ???

Soft drink is carbonated. Open it beforehand and put it in a screw-top bottle. Shake it up to build pressure and slowly release the gas, keep doing this until it no longer generates any gas.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Jan 2023, 9:09 am

Definitely go for bottles, re-sealable so your drink stays fizzy, you can wrap your hand around the top and ssslowly turn until the gas leaks down to atmospheric pressure.

Cans, it's all or nothing.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jan 2023, 4:38 pm

Good ideas I was going to say a point of a sturdy knife to puncture the can first right on the already weakened join line. Then open but not easily done safe in the dark. Or do it uddr your clothing to muffle noise. Better still no softdrink. Itsnot healthy. Bottled water better mr killjoy formerly known as blr243
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 06 Jan 2023, 6:15 pm

Just drink FUIC
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm

If you put your fluids in a bladder on your back you barely even need to move when you want a drink, just suck the tit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 06 Jan 2023, 7:09 pm

Die Judicii wrote:As something different and,,, something that most (conventional) hunters probably don't put too much thought into,,,, but,
The way I operate, I'm sitting (usually only in one location) all night long playing the waiting game.
But,,,,,,,,,,
Has anyone got any suggestions or methods to "QUIETLY" open the likes of a can of soft drink ???

I've done a heap of tests with pigs and fallow deer sitting over a water hole. I got my mate who's deaf to stuff his face full chips and scrunch the packet as much as he could while I ranged the animals. The kangaroos, pigs and deer only started getting nervous and looking in our direction when it was 52m. So unless you are so limited in view I"m thinking I already had the rifle ready to go on the ones we wanted to drop the hammer on so it wasn't a major concern.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 06 Jan 2023, 7:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:As something different and,,, something that most (conventional) hunters probably don't put too much thought into,,,, but,
But,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting, I / we do a lot of that sort of that "night" thing. Because I am watching for potential "targets" with thermal, is that when I have had a look around and see nothing to be concerned about, go for it as there is nothing to disturb. Don't listen to those other goody goodies, grab your can of C...E or what ever. I do admit that lately I have gone the resealable bottle idea, as a part used can that gets knocked over is a real pain in the proverbial.
Same as when nature calls have look around first. It is a problem when you need to go and lo and behold a target is there and you must deal with it first :? :oops:
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 06 Jan 2023, 7:44 pm

You can stop your search, as the answer has been available for decades.

It was called " The Cone of Silence". :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 9:44 pm

GQshayne wrote:You can stop your search, as the answer has been available for decades.

It was called " The Cone of Silence". :crazy:

AMAZING.jpg
AMAZING.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jan 2023, 10:17 pm

niteowl wrote:
Interesting, I / we do a lot of that sort of that "night" thing. Because I am watching for potential "targets" with thermal, is that when I have had a look around and see nothing to be concerned about, go for it as there is nothing to disturb. Don't listen to those other goody goodies, grab your can of C...E or what ever. I do admit that lately I have gone the resealable bottle idea, as a part used can that gets knocked over is a real pain in the proverbial.
Same as when nature calls have look around first. It is a problem when you need to go and lo and behold a target is there and you must deal with it first :? :oops:

Yeah Mate, you've got your finger right on the pulse.
Sometimes uncannily so,,,,,, I've done that (good scan around, nothing there, reach for whatever, and BINGO something pops up).
Most of the places I hunt have trees, bushes like lantana for example, and hollow logs.
The worst place to hunt in my experience is where there are lots of dry water courses or man made mounds that are one after the other all the way across
your field of view (to minimize water erosion)
All manner of vermin can pop up virtually in front of you but not be seen prior.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jan 2023, 10:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:If you put your fluids in a bladder on your back you barely even need to move when you want a drink, just suck the tit.

Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but my missus won't come out hunting with me overnight. :thumbsdown:
:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Jan 2023, 8:46 am

mchughcb wrote:
But,,,,,,,,,,

I've done a heap of tests with pigs and fallow deer sitting over a water hole. I got my mate who's deaf to stuff his face full chips and scrunch the packet as much as he could while I ranged the animals. The kangaroos, pigs and deer only started getting nervous and looking in our direction when it was 52m. So unless you are so limited in view I"m thinking I already had the rifle ready to go on the ones we wanted to drop the hammer on so it wasn't a major concern.

i agree that moderate noise is only a issue in close . on my last trip busting pigs we got up close to them at water troughs with my diesel tojo cause the wind was blowing towards us masking noise, and the sound of the wind through the trees helped as well . in still night time wind conditions the sound will probably carry a lot more . if it were me, i'd have plastic drink bottles as others have said, as you can control the sound level with the twist top . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Jan 2023, 1:42 pm

Try using the sound of a can being cracked immediately followed by blowing on the fox whistle to deliberately grab the attention of predators.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2023, 7:10 pm

I was layin prone o ne night on the stubble. Feeding boa r brodside Click dud primer oh ******. His head was up body frozen ears up all attention. He was def on to it. Fortunately I managed to extract and chamber another but it hd me very worried for a bit
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation