What trad things have u done or still do ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

What trad things have u done or still do ?

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2023, 6:15 pm

Ol bloke posted his day at the lost trades fair. It got me thinking Here goes me. Bow hunting, and i made some arrows by ripping down beech , planing the corners off. And sanding them and shellac them. And up the capei shot some boars with them. Hunting with dogs too. Its not generally thought of as primitive but it is. Men were hunting pigs with knives and dogs long before guns were here .. it does not have to b hunting related. Anything trad or primitive i fished with bamboo kelly rods as a kid. They have no reels. . Over to u ... go for it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: What trad things have u done or still do ?

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2023, 6:18 pm

Occasionally i cast some lead pills for my 4570
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Mar 2023, 6:42 pm

Leather work,primitive arrow and bow making and use,atlatl hunting,attempted flint knapping,muzzloaders and making their equipment, knife making,fly tying,wild food gathering,canning,etc
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 12 Mar 2023, 6:43 pm

I still bully the apprentice
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2023, 7:27 pm

I had to google ATLATI hunting . It reminded me of the last time i speared a big boar that was charging straight at me . Under pressure i drove the spear perfectly but the forward momentum of the boar Knocked me backwards i nearly lost my footing and almost fell into a barbed wire fence . That was an exciting afternoon. So far pete is winning the trad comp and womble mate please keep tje dream alive and dont ever stop bullying the apprentice
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2023, 7:34 pm

Hopefully we have an elderly gentleman amongst us who can pitch in with when he used to chase wild dogs on horseback and dong them with a swung stirrup . That would make my day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 13 Mar 2023, 3:37 am

Horses don’t like me but I used to hunt with dogs. Hunted pigs in channel country. And hunted rabbits and foxes with lurchers, snap dogs.
Never lost a dog either. I mean sometimes for a couple of days. But never had one die or get too badly injured. Had all the right gear. They have better gps stuff today.
Some people see it as cruel but it’s just nature in action. A pig will bleed out in 30 seconds if you stick it right. Rabbits and foxes the dogs neck them on contact.
The dogs were bred for that type of work and they just lived for it.
Impressive to watch a team learn to work together. Just brings out instinctive behaviour from deep down. Males would run wide and patrol the boundaries, fences, creeks. Females circle out from you.
Foxes are the hardest prey by far. Very clever and know how to fool the dogs. Sit and watch your dumb dogs from a safe distance after leading them in circles.
Hunting with dogs is still very popular allthough the legalities are tenuous. NSW table lands and western vic. They breed great dogs. Very sound animals that also make great pets. Healthy, vigorous and social.
Not kennel club recognition but bred for function not form. The bull Arab and the stag hounds are great Aussie breeds. I did have a stag once who’s lineage went back to kangaroo hounds which are now extinct.
There are working lines of terriers in vic too.
And of course deer hunting with hounds in victoria, though I haven’t done it.
But recently when camping in state forest, walking my pet dogs and scouting around. A deer ran across in front of us. Then two very noisy beagles ran past in hot pursuit. Well one of my dogs took of and joined the hunt. He came back to camp later that day soaking wet. So I think they lost chase in a creek. But I think my dog had a great day.
Last edited by womble on 13 Mar 2023, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Mar 2023, 4:00 am

People are strange these days. Dogs are surrogate kids, some are even fed vegan.
No your dog is wolf deep down and nothing makes them happier.
Apart from the toy breeds all dogs were bred for fighting, hunting or herding. And that’s what they really are.
There’s a lot of recognised kennel club breeds that have had their histories white washed to conform to modern society.
There’s other ways to channel those drives of course but most people don’t get to see them really live, come alive.
You see that when they run with the pack in pursuit of game. You see something else and you feel it.

There’s been I think 17 species of human and ours is the only surviving. The symbiotic relationship we formed with dogs plays a large role in that.
So when governments tell you not to hunt with dogs it’s fair to ignore them. We are what we are. It is our nature.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Mar 2023, 7:20 pm

Most people in the city think that their dogs are having the best time ever catching a frisbie in the park or running at the beach . Its absolutely nuthing compared to taking dogs hunting . Ill never forget the sounds my wolfhound used to make in the cage on back Of my quad as i bashed my way tnru scrub chaseing pigs . The pent up excitement of knowing i was soon goin to be opening the door of the cage so she could do her thing . She was so keen i thought her body would explode from the excitement. Dogs dont die from excitement catching frisbees
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 14 Mar 2023, 9:21 am

I do some heavy duty leather work and lots and lots of blacksmithing. Nearly all of my shooting is with Blackpowder shootin irons these days. My kids reckon I was born in the wrong century.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by northdude » 14 Mar 2023, 2:38 pm

I still try and figure things out myself instead of using the internet. Does that count
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Blr243 » 14 Mar 2023, 4:06 pm

Anything like before now counts
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Mar 2023, 4:11 pm

Opening the car door for your girlfriend ..... holding hands in public , Belting a thief with a golf club if you catch him trying to steal your car
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 14 Mar 2023, 10:37 pm

What is trad?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 15 Mar 2023, 3:29 am

We still eat at the table together without the tv. When we go to mother inlaws we still say grace.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by womble » 15 Mar 2023, 3:41 am

You are such a good son in law. What a nice boy
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 15 Mar 2023, 3:50 am

Boundry Rider wrote:What is trad?

When we had two genders and had to walk 20 miles in the snow with no shoes to meet a girl to take dancing and be home by 9pm or get shot.
Then had to marry the girl, or get shot.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 15 Mar 2023, 4:24 am

Kangaroos were a lot more helpful back then too.
Nowadays they just kick you in the nuts
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2023, 8:01 am

Boundry Rider wrote:What is trad?

Silly boy. "Traditional".
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Mar 2023, 1:42 pm

Taking game meat and distributing it smongst fsmily and close friends is nice. It helps people to see hunting in a better way ... its a nice tradition to continue
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation