Landrover lovers

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Landrover lovers

Post by bladeracer » 01 Apr 2023, 11:01 am

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-01 115311.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-01 115311.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Landrover lovers

Post by niteowl » 01 Apr 2023, 2:40 pm

Having been a Landy man since the 60's it would be fantastic to be there. If I had known earlier I too could have turned up in my S11 Mahindra :drinks:
Even having gone with Landies in the old days for some years, they did lose a lot of appeal when the "new" emission controlled ones appeared, we could not get out of that one soon enough. If I remember correctly, that was when British Leyland took them over.
Went through the whole range of 4WDs since and have settled on Mahindra now, for the third time with a new auto S11 a couple of weeks ago.
But Oh the memories of Landrover days.

There is the old saying, 90% of all the Landrovers ever made are still on the road.

The other10% made it home.
:thumbsup:
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Apr 2023, 4:11 pm

I found a site last week where they buy up old Landy's, strip them back to a bare chassis, which they restore back to new, then build a whole new "Landrover" on it. Couldn't find it again when I went looking though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 01 Apr 2023, 5:24 pm

If I turned up in a Nissan I would probably get excommunicated . Did a lot of spotlighting in a Series 1 Land Rover .
It would go just about anywhere but if you hit a log or rock hard a door would fly open . I don't think the gearbox had any synchromesh and you had to double clutch it all the time . I could have bought it from the property owner for 10 pounds back then but getting it registered would have been difficult . Should have bought it and left it on the property so I had exclusive use .
https://www.johnbrown4x4.com/buying-sel ... storation/
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 02 Apr 2023, 10:08 am

bladeracer wrote:I found a site last week where they buy up old Landy's, strip them back to a bare chassis, which they restore back to new, then build a whole new "Landrover" on it. Couldn't find it again when I went looking though.

There are a number of companies that do it, Twisted, ECD Custom Defenders, etc.

The resto mod thing is big these days and it's understandable, upgrade the old vehicle with modern reliable parts or for better performance.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation