Pricing of 2nd hand goods.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Pricing of 2nd hand goods.

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2023, 10:15 pm

Isn't it frustrating when pricing 2nd hand goods for sale ?

ie: The following scenarios,,,, (presuming the said goods are pretty good condition)

a) You don't wanna rip anyone off and just need to move the item on,,,,,, so you set a very reasonable to low price.
1) Prospective buyer asks what is wrong with it ?
2) Then proceeds to offer only 1/4 of the very reasonable asking price
3) Then gets sh!tty cos you knock back the offer
4) Then says "It's too far for me to travel,,,, when are you coming into town, and can you deliver it ?

b) You do your homework and set a very reasonable price
1) Old mate rings you and arranges a time to come pick it up,,,,,, then never turns up
2) Old mate rings you, discusses the item and you come to a price agreeance,,,,, then he turns up but only (supposedly) has half the $$$
3) Old mate rings and arranges to come pick item up and then turns up with a mate who seems to be obviously checking out everything else.
4) Old mate turns up and inspects item as if with a magnifying glass, and then points at a few grains of sand and says its too dirty.

Believe me,,,,they are out there. :crazy: :wtf: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Pricing of 2nd hand goods.

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Apr 2023, 9:46 am

There's also the other side of the scenario when you rely on someone being honest in their description of an item, they tell you it's all good, you pay the $400 freight on it and when it turns up it is nothing like his "honest" description, not the right year, model, type and basically a piece of crap! Ask me how I know this...
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by RunRabbit » 19 Apr 2023, 9:49 pm

When it comes to guns and accessories, I've always found the pricing way too high to consider second hand. I've seen dozens of ads for guns, scopes and stocks that are above the brand new price from somewhere like Cleaver. It's great that these things hold their value but personally, I'd want to save at least 30%+ to purchase an item that has been used and doesn't come with a warranty.

I've stopped looking for second hand gear privately. I'm sure there are some bargains but most of the time it's possibly from someone that wants too much and then gets sick of time wasters (the only people that will throw an offer on an overpriced item) and so they just offload it cheap.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CRF » 20 Apr 2023, 7:36 am

I get a laugh out of the prices people ask and pay for second hand sako rifles.

I bought a sako 85 Bavarian new for $2200, I've seen them advertised for over $3000 second hand.
I remember I was in my local gun store and a rep was there. He was talking about the increase in sako prices. His words were it was purely based on the demand for them in Aus that they felt people would pay. They've obviously had multiple rises since because now some tikkas come up for sale for over $2k.

I sold my 75 and 85 and bought good leica binos and a sako a7 new for $1500. Best decision i could have made. Sako are decent guns but Australia has become way too fan boy and they're overpriced for what they are in my opinion.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation