Applying for Gun Licence renewal Online Not Working

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Applying for Gun Licence renewal Online Not Working

Post by JohnV » 10 May 2023, 3:37 pm

Has anyone applied successfully online in NSW to renew their gun licence because I can't get past the date of birth entry , it just won't take it . I type it in with the right format and it gets changed to the wrong format . Should I just go down to Service NSW or what ?
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Applying for Gun Licence renewal Online Not Working

Post by Ratsmitglied » 10 May 2023, 4:02 pm

I did it last year. From memory I had to use the date picker to get the DoB to be accepted.
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 10 May 2023, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the reply . I tried the calendar date picker but no luck it just keeps changing the date to the wrong format .
OK it seems like there is some kind of ongoing bug in this system that's never been properly fixed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Ratsmitglied » 10 May 2023, 9:01 pm

It's highly likely - maybe try with a different browser and check your system settings for date format. I have noticed some things on the Service NSW website work fine in Firefox, but not in Chrome (and vice versa), but because the date picker is a javascript widget it is possible that there is a system setting which is screwing with it as well.
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 11 May 2023, 11:43 am

Ratsmitglied wrote:It's highly likely - maybe try with a different browser and check your system settings for date format. I have noticed some things on the Service NSW website work fine in Firefox, but not in Chrome (and vice versa), but because the date picker is a javascript widget it is possible that there is a system setting which is screwing with it as well.

I have tried all that , computer and on two i-pads , no luck . Just returned from Service NSW Registy Office and they were also unable to get past the date of birth entry . Issued me with Paperwork forms to send to Firearms registry . I Have reported the fault to Service NSW , hopefully it will be fixed soon . I agree that the calendar is the problem it's applying the wrong date format and it's also overriding the manual input with the wrong format . Tried Firefox , Chrome and Opera no luck.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Ratsmitglied » 11 May 2023, 2:05 pm

If it's affecting all browsers my guess is that a JS library has been updated and isn't respecting the settings correctly. Then this is combined with a poorly implemented validation on the date field to make the whole system fail...

alternatively a browser update has broken it (although that would be unlikely with all browsers being affected)
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 18 May 2023, 4:35 pm

Still not working have reported now to Minister for customer services . His name is Jihad Dib ! I have got the paperwork application anyway and going down that route . Government services in this country are going down hill quickly and it has been happening for some years now . Service NSW system was supposed to make things easier but that is not happening as far as I can see.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 18 May 2023, 5:22 pm

JohnV wrote:Still not working have reported now to Minister for customer services . His name is Jihad Dib ! I have got the paperwork application anyway and going down that route . Government services in this country are going down hill quickly and it has been happening for some years now . Service NSW system was supposed to make things easier but that is not happening as far as I can see.

Outsourcing to private contractors, John.

The same results we had with power, mail, phones, etc.

In the last year in office the LNP spent, I believe, $20.8 billion outsourcing public service work, and the results show.
Same on state level, I would imagine.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 21 Jun 2023, 4:09 pm

My wife posted my renewal on Monday by registered mail . I rang the firearms registry to check I had filled out the correct form and they actually answered their phone and the woman was very helpful .
So full marks to them they are doing their job .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation