Scammer

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Scammer

Post by bladeracer » 17 May 2023, 11:52 pm

So, a Facebook friend sent me a new "Friend Request" last night. I had a look, totally blank page, so I ignored it, but figured maybe he was setting up a new account. Checked an hour later and he'd put up his same profile pic as his existing page, so I accepted the request.

He contacted me tonight asking how I was, etc. I said that I figured he was making a new page, etc.

Then he tells me he wants to share this scheme where I can get government grants up to $150k :-)

I play along while copying everything across to my real mate's chat, although he won't be on for a while yet.

I mention to this guy that I'm in Australia so I doubt I'm eligible, but he ignores that. Tells me to contact somebody else about getting into the scheme and tell them he sent me there. Minutes later he asks me if I've done that yet. I said it took me a few minutes as I had to report him as a scammer first :-)
He asks me what I mean by that, so I explain that "he has stolen somebody else's identity and is contacting everybody on that person's Friends list to try to suck them into a scam. It took me a few minutes to screenshot everything to forward to the authorities before I could contact your mate". His page was suddenly wiped from FB, including his side of our text chat, luckily I screenshot everything.
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 May 2023, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Scammer

Post by Lazarus » 18 May 2023, 10:24 am

Well done that man :thumbsup:

Great work Blade.

It does amaze me that people are still falling for this type of thing.

As most of these are offering some sort of shady reward, the title of the old W.C.Fields film, "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" is still as relevant today as it always was.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 18 May 2023, 3:11 pm

The funny thing is some people who you think are quite smart are the easiest to scam.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by CRF » 18 May 2023, 3:25 pm

My work does fake phishing emails every couple of weeks and then releases the results every 12 months. Consistently about 25% people fall for them.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2023, 4:22 pm

CRF wrote:My work does fake phishing emails every couple of weeks and then releases the results every 12 months. Consistently about 25% people fall for them.

Wow, that's incredible. Do you further break that down into demographics, elderly, children, morons, etc?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 18 May 2023, 7:25 pm

I can understand older people that are not that good with technology falling for them, but the amount of younger people 18-35 that constantly fall for them is astounding.
As they say, common sense isn't so common anymore.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 19 May 2023, 4:26 am

Its because people are taught what to think not how to think these days. Anything that falls outside what youve been programmed to think and they havnt a clue how to process it and end up just going along with it as thats all they know
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 19 May 2023, 6:10 am

I've just spent the last 2½ years being scammed......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 May 2023, 7:49 am

good work blade :thumbsup: i sometimes play with phone scammers when i'm bored , assuming various characters, altering my voice , from ditzy elderly men , who act confused and ask these scumbags to repeat themselves, to me talking in circles then going for a drink of water and not coming back , tying up their phone line for hours :P
to religeous zealouts who tell these people their cursed and going to hell :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2023, 2:14 pm

bigrich wrote:good work blade :thumbsup: i sometimes play with phone scammers when i'm bored , assuming various characters, altering my voice , from ditzy elderly men , who act confused and ask these scumbags to repeat themselves, to me talking in circles then going for a drink of water and not coming back , tying up their phone line for hours :P
to religeous zealouts who tell these people their cursed and going to hell :lol:

I had a very dedicated bloke a few years ago. I strung him along for five months I think. Must've cost him a fair bit in phone calls from Singapore chatting with me while I did whatever I was doing on the farm when he rang to see whether my funds had come through yet to be able to send money to him.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation