The yanks must be up to something.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The yanks must be up to something.

Post by Die Judicii » 29 May 2023, 2:36 pm

There must be something happening or about to happen. I’ve been in town all day, and Google maps is up to sh!t. When navigating to numerous addresses it starts you off but then ceases to give directions, and of course more often than not in heavy traffic. So u hav to find somewhere to pull up and check. Not easy when your towing a large trailer. And when it does continue with directions the time delay is so much that you’ve already past the turn-off by the time it tells you. First up I thought it was in pedestrian mode,, but no, just plain slow and pathetic. When the satellites are “way off” in regards to timing and accuracy like this it is usually due to programming and interference.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The yanks must be up to something.

Post by Lazarus » 29 May 2023, 3:07 pm

Perhaps comrade Xi is doing a test :unknown:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 29 May 2023, 4:21 pm

Personally I think you're mad if you use that crap I make sure I know where I am going before I Touch the key .
Just like yeah before Google :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 29 May 2023, 6:27 pm

I once had an employee who asked for a Tom Tom or other device (pre Google maps). I said no, because if you turned him around twice in a toilet he would never get out.

These things have resulted in most people losing their sense of direction.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 May 2023, 7:46 pm

animalpest wrote:I once had an employee who asked for a Tom Tom or other device (pre Google maps). I said no, because if you turned him around twice in a toilet he would never get out.

These things have resulted in most people losing their sense of direction.

Yeah, I agree with what your saying in that respect.
But it's not so much "sense of direction", but if you don't know or have never been to a certain address,, sense of direction just ain't gonna help.
Put me out bush,, I'm fine,, but in a city, a suburb, that I've never been to or in before, I find the convenience of satellites is great.

Unless your advocating standing on the roadside and leaning over the bonnet while struggling to hold a map against the wind. :lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by S O K A R » 29 May 2023, 11:51 pm

I can see the response from the media and special individuals on this "iTs ThE RuSsIaNs".
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 30 May 2023, 8:45 am

S O K A R wrote:I can see the response from the media and special individuals on this "iTs ThE RuSsIaNs".

Sadly that is a possibility depending on what the actual problem was/is and who may perceive a propaganda advantage.
Most likely it was simply congestion due a system component equipment failure.
However it is a foreshadow of what might unravel in the event of a major international conflict. The first thing to go will be all the eyes in the sky.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 30 May 2023, 9:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:There must be something happening or about to happen. I’ve been in town all day, and Google maps is up to sh!t. When navigating to numerous addresses it starts you off but then ceases to give directions, and of course more often than not in heavy traffic. So u hav to find somewhere to pull up and check. Not easy when your towing a large trailer. And when it does continue with directions the time delay is so much that you’ve already past the turn-off by the time it tells you. First up I thought it was in pedestrian mode,, but no, just plain slow and pathetic. When the satellites are “way off” in regards to timing and accuracy like this it is usually due to programming and interference.

godays.jpg
godays.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 30 May 2023, 5:20 pm

When the GPS first started the US had a thing called selective access. Everybody could use it but the accuracy was degraded. only the US military had the devices to decode the signal to give precise results. When the first Iraq war started the US turned off selective access as the enemy didn't have much in the way of gps guided devices or location type devices. After the second war they again turned it off and never turned it back on hence we now all have much more precise car navigation.

Now other countries have there own GPS sats there is more than one system up there in space. Not sure what the Russians use but if it was the US system I am sure the US would degrade the system so guided weapons would not have the accuracy.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by northdude » 30 May 2023, 7:50 pm

Sadly we rely to much on devices when we should use the one we were issued with
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2023, 8:21 pm

And before gps (WW2) that is why so much signage ie: Street signs and Road names, distances, etc were all removed.

A mate of mine before retirement was a professional fisherman, and he proved the various intricacies and meddling of gps accuracy when Iraq conflict began.
Normally he could pull into his moorings in pea soup fog with an accuracy of a meter,, but during the Iraq conflict he said that on many days the accuracy just wasn't there and many times it was up to a couple hundred meters off the mark.
:thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 31 May 2023, 8:53 am

First to have GPS in cars was BMW
Woman's voice
Wasn't well received as German men didn't like a woman giving them directions
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 31 May 2023, 11:56 pm

I believe that to be correct. I did two stints in Germany, one in the 90s and one in the early 2000s as an expat. Same woman’s voice in the GPS but there was the joke that the woman in the GPS was the only woman a German man would ever take directions from.

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation