powder pirates at it again

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

powder pirates at it again

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2023, 12:58 pm

just saw two adds on used guns , APS350 2KG $1500 :shock: APS450 2KG $1500 also ! :o :wtf: :unknown:

i'd post a link but i'm internet unco :D

need OB to put up that pic of harry who , amazing ! :D

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: powder pirates at it again

Post by No1_49er » 07 Jun 2023, 1:04 pm

I think it's called "Supply and Demand".
They're not making it: what is available is being offered at prices that people are prepared to pay.
If you don't like the price, good luck to you while you wait for another production run.
In the meantime, STFU.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 07 Jun 2023, 1:43 pm

I bought exactly what is in this picture for $220 A month or so ago
Screenshot_20230605_001633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230605_001633_Gallery.jpg (733.02 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2023, 1:51 pm

deye243 wrote:I bought exactly what is in this picture for $220 A month or so ago

My mate got some of that but doesn't want to do the experimentation required so is intending to sell it again.

What are you using it in?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2023, 3:14 pm

bigrich wrote:just saw two adds on used guns , APS350 2KG $1500 :shock: APS450 2KG $1500 also ! :o :wtf: :unknown:

AMAZING.jpg
AMAZING.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

:lol:

I know someone who just got 3kg of win 748 for $300.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2023, 3:59 pm

new i could count on you OB :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2023, 4:26 pm

bigrich wrote:new i could count on you OB :D :thumbsup:

FIG JAM. :allegedly: :P
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jun 2023, 7:38 pm

Reload 9mm at those powder prices will be dearer than factory ammo. Why would you?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Jun 2023, 7:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:I bought exactly what is in this picture for $220 A month or so ago

My mate got some of that but doesn't want to do the experimentation required so is intending to sell it again.

What are you using it in?

If he wants to sell it I'll buy it Unless he wants to put a tax on it.
I haven't got to it yet because I got 10 kilos of American Select last month or so , I bought the vectan 1st
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Jun 2023, 8:54 am

bigrich wrote:just saw two adds on used guns , APS350 2KG $1500 :shock: APS450 2KG $1500 also ! :o :wtf: :unknown:

It's not piracy where there is no negotiation. That is restricted to bandits and Governments.
It is more like pure capitalism as in 'I got it, you want it, take it at my price or leave it'.
Sadly, having lived through the galloping inflation of the 70's, I think it is something we will gradually get accustomed to for various worldwide reasons and it will not be restricted solely to shooting requisites.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 09 Jun 2023, 12:35 am

I had to learn this lesson once, When Cheap Stack Deep.

Back when things were cheap a few years ago before Covid, I bought tons of stuff and I think at this point I could probably shoot until the 2030s and not really worry too much. On occasion I buy a few things to try out, maybe a new powder or some bullets but really don't need to.

Everything is cyclical so at some point things when settle again. When they do stack as much as you can. Thing is when stored well, reloading supplies can last for decades.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 09 Jun 2023, 4:19 am

straightshooter wrote:

It's not piracy where there is no negotiation. That is restricted to bandits and Governments.
It is more like pure capitalism as in 'I got it, you want it, take it at my price or leave it'.
Sadly, having lived through the galloping inflation of the 70's, I think it is something we will gradually get accustomed to for various worldwide reasons and it will not be restricted solely to shooting requisites.

yeah , it's still morally corrupt to up prices so much , taking advantage of the desperation of others . that's how i see it anyway .
your right though , people don't have to agree to pay outrageous prices . i still reckon people that are trying to screw fellow shooters with such inflated prices are pirates though :evil:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2023, 1:13 pm

wanneroo wrote:I had to learn this lesson once, When Cheap Stack Deep.

Back when things were cheap a few years ago before Covid, I bought tons of stuff and I think at this point I could probably shoot until the 2030s and not really worry too much. On occasion I buy a few things to try out, maybe a new powder or some bullets but really don't need to.

Everything is cyclical so at some point things when settle again. When they do stack as much as you can. Thing is when stored well, reloading supplies can last for decades.

I always worked on the principle that if I expect to be doing something into the future then stock up now, nothing ever gets cheaper, and that includes shooting. If I went to a gun shop and didn't see anything I wanted I'd grab primers and powders anyway, the shop makes a sale, and I have stuff I'll use eventually. I'd get emails from online shops with brass or bullets on great specials so I'd buy them, even if I didn't have a firearm to use them in yet. I'm pretty sure I have enough stuff to see out my life time, except .22LR ammo, I'm can't afford to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds of that stuff. And I have to grab some more
blackpowder next time I find some.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 09 Jun 2023, 1:24 pm

I'm just happy I don't have to strip shotgun shells anymore but if I run out of powder I will happily do so it doesn't take long works quite well and depending on what shotgun carriages you buy you have everything from AP350 all way up to ap100 roughly
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 09 Jun 2023, 11:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:I always worked on the principle that if I expect to be doing something into the future then stock up now, nothing ever gets cheaper, and that includes shooting. If I went to a gun shop and didn't see anything I wanted I'd grab primers and powders anyway, the shop makes a sale, and I have stuff I'll use eventually. I'd get emails from online shops with brass or bullets on great specials so I'd buy them, even if I didn't have a firearm to use them in yet. I'm pretty sure I have enough stuff to see out my life time, except .22LR ammo, I'm can't afford to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds of that stuff. And I have to grab some more

That's the thing, once you have a good amount in stock and needs are covered, you can have the patience to wait for excellent bulk deals or sales.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 10 Jun 2023, 12:05 am

wanneroo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I always worked on the principle that if I expect to be doing something into the future then stock up now, nothing ever gets cheaper, and that includes shooting. If I went to a gun shop and didn't see anything I wanted I'd grab primers and powders anyway, the shop makes a sale, and I have stuff I'll use eventually. I'd get emails from online shops with brass or bullets on great specials so I'd buy them, even if I didn't have a firearm to use them in yet. I'm pretty sure I have enough stuff to see out my life time, except .22LR ammo, I'm can't afford to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds of that stuff. And I have to grab some more

That's the thing, once you have a good amount in stock and needs are covered, you can have the patience to wait for excellent bulk deals or sales.

Problem with that is we cannot ship powder and primers in this retarded country I live in the country therefore we never see specials ever on consumables you have to go to the capital cities for that
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jun 2023, 1:43 am

deye243 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:

Problem with that is we cannot ship powder and primers in this retarded country I live in the country therefore we never see specials ever on consumables you have to go to the capital cities for that

It's not just transport but that we are limited in how much we are allowed to store in this State. A max of 5kg BP and 20kg Nitro and 10K of primers. Unlike Wanneroo in the US, we cannot just buy up when cheap and then store for future use. Same applies to ammo here in Vic where we cannot store more than 40K max. At least some Sates like Qld can store heaps of ammo if they follow the requirements.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation