Titan submersible

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Titan submersible

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jun 2023, 9:24 pm

Will they make it? Personally I doubt it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-22/ ... /102509368
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Titan submersible

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 3:44 am

Er no. The titanic is about 4k deep.
Their dodgy homemade sub would have imploded about too 3.9k early
Darwin awards all round.
The only positive is it would have happened fast. They wouldn’t have known what happened to them.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 23 Jun 2023, 4:34 am

No hope. Main ingredient to make a cock up is add a human
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2023, 4:57 am

womble wrote:Er no. The titanic is about 4k deep.
Their dodgy homemade sub would have imploded about too 3.9k early
Darwin awards all round.
The only positive is it would have happened fast. They wouldn’t have known what happened to them.

It's designed to operate at that depth. Oxygen and carbon dioxide are the main issues.
But I think its "buckley's" now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2023, 5:01 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 23 Jun 2023, 6:32 am

The imense pressure that thing works at youd be getting serious metal fatiuge pretty fast
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Shootermick » 23 Jun 2023, 6:46 am

Sad news. What a terrifying way to go. An explosion is probably better than slowing running out of oxygen though I guess.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Jun 2023, 7:27 am

Just reading that the builder admitted that the construction materials he used Carbon Fiber and Titanium combination was potentially dangerous in this situation due to galvanic corrosion.

Sound like it was a time bomb ticking away similar to rust slowly degrading then boom.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Lazarus » 23 Jun 2023, 11:02 am

1687390688393.png
1687390688393.png (481.14 KiB) Viewed 12093 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 23 Jun 2023, 12:35 pm

This was always going to end up as a crumpled Coke can on the ocean floor.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jun 2023, 1:18 pm

Even a former senior employee questioned the limits of the design, the owner sacked him for it instead of addressing the issues. Profit over Safety = Disaster.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 3:09 pm

Yep. I might buy and old bus, weld up the wheel arches and sell tickets.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Jun 2023, 3:25 pm

There are two sides however this guy has progressed technology to the next level. The other issue being pushed on TV by the media is all about the safety of the passengers. I dont agree with them these guys that signed up and paid their $250K were not dumb or ignorant people. Quite the opposite they were in the top 1% of us all. Very smart and I bet did their research and new the risks. The media is banging on about how dare they take passengers on experimental craft what about Astronauts and the private citizens that have paid to go into space same thing in my book. The passengers are passionate about their interests no different to people who climb Everest or even sky dive. Really lots of sports are inherently dangerous how many people scuba dive? s**t can happen down there and if it does you have to be at the top of your game to get out of it if at all.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 3:33 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 23 Jun 2023, 3:45 pm

Larry wrote:There are two sides however this guy has progressed technology to the next level. The other issue being pushed on TV by the media is all about the safety of the passengers. I dont agree with them these guys that signed up and paid their $250K were not dumb or ignorant people. Quite the opposite they were in the top 1% of us all. Very smart and I bet did their research and new the risks. The media is banging on about how dare they take passengers on experimental craft what about Astronauts and the private citizens that have paid to go into space same thing in my book. The passengers are passionate about their interests no different to people who climb Everest or even sky dive. Really lots of sports are inherently dangerous how many people scuba dive? s**t can happen down there and if it does you have to be at the top of your game to get out of it if at all.

Yeah nah if they had done there research they wouldnt have been onboard

James Cameron gives his thought. He dived to 10,000m in an Australian designed and made Sub :thumbsup:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 9e689e1c5c
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jun 2023, 3:59 pm

Can't agree Larry, Ocean\Gate were not using "next level technology" buy rather a form of pressure vessel trialled and rejected by deep sea operators worldwide. and being rich does not make you intelligent, I have met millionaires who could barely tie their shoelaces and know one Mensa member who lives in a shed.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2023, 5:15 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Even a former senior employee questioned the limits of the design, the owner sacked him for it instead of addressing the issues. Profit over Safety = Disaster.

How many times has that happed? It's happening daily in AU.

Larry is right, life is full of risks. The trick is to manage them well though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 5:33 pm

A better trick would be just don’t get in sketchy submarines with dodgy operators
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 23 Jun 2023, 6:57 pm

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 23 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm

Larry wrote:There are two sides however this guy has progressed technology to the next level. The other issue being pushed on TV by the media is all about the safety of the passengers. I dont agree with them these guys that signed up and paid their $250K were not dumb or ignorant people. Quite the opposite they were in the top 1% of us all. Very smart and I bet did their research and new the risks. The media is banging on about how dare they take passengers on experimental craft what about Astronauts and the private citizens that have paid to go into space same thing in my book. The passengers are passionate about their interests no different to people who climb Everest or even sky dive. Really lots of sports are inherently dangerous how many people scuba dive? s**t can happen down there and if it does you have to be at the top of your game to get out of it if at all.

Wealthy doesn't not equal being very smart, more about luck.

Wonder if their research showed that the Titan had not been certified by DNV-GL for that depth and that the company behind the Titan sub fired a director for raising concerns about the vessel and its potential to expose passengers to ‘extreme danger’

or

The Marine Technology Society, an industry group made up of ocean engineers, technologists, policymakers and educators, expressed “concern regarding the development of Titan and the planned Titanic expeditions” and warned against the “current experimental approach adopted by OceanGate”.

Clearly they are in the top 1% of "us"
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2023, 7:22 pm

It's about 5,500 psi where the titanic is.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 23 Jun 2023, 9:37 pm

Larry wrote:Quite the opposite they were in the top 1% of us all. Very smart and I bet did their research and new the risks.

An example of the research of what you call the top 1%

Not something like this which is an actual risk.

This is a father and son that decided not to go and gave the spots up to the Pakis that had the pepsi can happen to them.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jun 2023, 9:49 pm

The sub journey was promoted as being a "once in a lifetime experience"
I guess they truly ment it.
Seriously though, I bet the only surviving component will be that game controller.
If those things can survive 4 kids drowning it in food and drinks, throwing it in fits of rage, and thrashing the buttons for a lifetime then almost 6000 psi of saltwater wouldn't be a problem.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 24 Jun 2023, 3:10 am

Everything about this mirrors what is happening with general society. The guy running it didn't want "experienced 50 year old white guys" because they are not "inspirational" enough and instead sought out young dumb people based on their gender and how they have sex.

I've seen some experienced submariners comment how much of a joke the construction of this thing was, total incompetence it was. One video I saw was some teenage kid putting the cap on the sub and tightening down the bolts with a little ratchet wrench. Would you trust your life to a kid with a ratchet wrench and some bolts while you are diving down 13000 feet?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 24 Jun 2023, 3:42 am

Can you just use metric please Wannaroot, thanks mate
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Jun 2023, 3:43 am

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Jun 2023, 3:56 am

Wait. Their “smart “ friend raised concerns about giant squid :D
Oh this just gets better and better
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 24 Jun 2023, 7:50 am

Dont go off on silly tangents. Although I do believe that there has been an increase in Orcas interfering with Yachts recently resulting in a few sinking. I would not pay much attention to the certification either that's my personal view as there really is no standard or non destructive tests that can be done. I have some scuba gear that is supposed to be certified for use to 200m not sure I believe that either. All other brands of scuba gear I could find was only rated to 40 or 50m and I was diving below that and all the other divers I have dived with were using the gear only rated to that depth. Were they all stupid and taking their life in their hands?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Lazarus » 24 Jun 2023, 8:39 am

wanneroo wrote:Everything about this mirrors what is happening with general society. The guy running it didn't want "experienced 50 year old white guys" because they are not "inspirational" enough and instead sought out young dumb people based on their gender and how they have sex.

I've seen some experienced submariners comment how much of a joke the construction of this thing was, total incompetence it was. One video I saw was some teenage kid putting the cap on the sub and tightening down the bolts with a little ratchet wrench. Would you trust your life to a kid with a ratchet wrench and some bolts while you are diving down 13000 feet?

Looking at all the footage, I saw plenty of old "white" guys, no women, no flagrant gays, trannies or genital snippers.
It looked like a ctrowd at the entrance of the Manosphere, waiting to get in for the Village People strip show.

Somehow I doubt that the age of the person wielding the wrench effects the efficacy of their work, and at a depth of 3000+m, the water pressure keeps that 1000+kg hatch so tight it may as well be welded shut.

It was the arrogance of the ceo, who wanted to be considered as a revolutionary pioneer, and was the one who decided that inflexible carbon fiber could be laminated with "flexible" titanium, regardless of everyone who actually knew what end of their body the sh!t falls out of, telling him it would fail at depth.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 24 Jun 2023, 8:40 am

womble wrote:Can you just use metric please Wannaroot, thanks mate

:lol: :clap: :drinks: