Diesel heaters

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Diesel heaters

Post by Tiger650 » 22 Jul 2023, 1:05 pm

Unsure if this topic has been raised previously ?
Recently bought one of the above to heat the shed, I have 600L of 5 year old distillate which was treated with Penrite stabiliser but a little wary about using it in my common rail rail ute.
This thing is excellent, thinking of folks using old kero heaters and such with kero being $4 per litre and kero heaters being a little stinky and inefficient.
Heaps of info on Youtube so will not go into detail but also thinking if you had an old diesel engine that is hard to cold start these things can be programmed to auto start / shut down on timer, 12V /24V required but that could easily be supplied by tractor of truck battery as could fuel supply if necessary.
I have no connection with advertiser below but found this to be by far the best price, the machine is very good and identical to other "brand name" units which cost $45.00 more.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204251061848
I have had great fun installing and nice to be warm in the shed without using bloody expensive mains power when solar is not running.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Diesel heaters

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2023, 5:56 pm

Bloody popular in vans. But I went LPG. That is exceptionaly cheap. Mostly trouble free, but the addition of some kerosene is recommended to help minimise the carbon build up. Esp in winter if it get pretty cold where you are.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 22 Jul 2023, 7:35 pm

I agree that you should not put that fuel in CRD. Should keep your shed warm for a while though!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 23 Jul 2023, 1:52 am

Never looked into them before. Buy I am now thanks
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 23 Jul 2023, 2:05 am

Cheers Womble.
Good kit and Is far as I can determine the heater can coke up a bit if run continuously on low throttle, there are actually two sizes available, stated to be 2kW and 5/8 kW.
Actual maxium output is closer to 4.5kW actual for the larger units, if heating a small space or warming an engine prior to cold weather start the 2kW would possibly be best.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 23 Jul 2023, 2:10 pm

I bought one of the smaller ones and put it under the bonnet of my camper a year or so back. Only used it once and it was not very effective. The instructions leave a lot to be desired with no code thing that says what everything does. Tried it again this morning as I am heading for the Simpson in a couple of weeks. Just playing with things and a P comes up with a number 0.5. I found if I pressed the up arrow it went to a higher number and the air coming out was warmer. I got it up to 2.0. Might try again tomorrow and see how high it goes before it stops. I am guessing P stands for pump and the number is how much fuel its pumping. Anyway its hotter and shows promise so I might keep it after all.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2023, 4:41 pm

There is a bloke on youtube that apparently has all the answers.

I believe this is the bloke.

John Mc 47

https://youtu.be/kXTGBOSdDnk
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 23 Jul 2023, 8:17 pm

I’ve got a couple of bigger ones for the workshop at home. They are the best. Pump out instant heat, and just move them around to where you’re working.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation