Airless spray paint appliers

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Airless spray paint appliers

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 17 Aug 2023, 3:06 pm

G'day fellas are any of you blokes familiar with the differences between airless vs air paint guns?
Where I live I have to deal with extreme humidity, so when painting farm implements etc I'm having to deal with alot of water in the compressed air.

I've been looking at options for dyi air coolers/driers and even looked at proper refrigeration air driers but I only do a small amount of painting and its only farm gear so would I be best off going with an airless spray painter?

Cheers!
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Airless spray paint appliers

Post by Wallaby stew » 17 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm

The price of good quality airless spray units has come right down in recent years to where they would be a lot cheaper than buying a compressor and hoses etc and cheap compressors don't last long but if you're only doing small jobs have a look at the Wagner airless sprayers, just a plug in, hand held jobby, but you need to clean them out really well, leave some oil in the little plunger cause they gum up badly.
Make assumptions from observations
Observe outcomes
Update assumptions
Repeat
Wallaby stew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2023, 5:15 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:G'day fellas are any of you blokes familiar with the differences between airless vs air paint guns?
Where I live I have to deal with extreme humidity, so when painting farm implements etc I'm having to deal with a lot of water in the compressed air.

I've been looking at options for dyi air coolers/driers and even looked at proper refrigeration air driers but I only do a small amount of painting and its only farm gear so would I be best off going with an airless spray painter?

Cheers!

Not recently, but I used airless spray to paint pergolas and roofs back in the '90's. Gives a good thick coat, but I found it didn't really adhere to the surfaces very well, it tends to peel off in large sections. Maybe the equipment and the paint have improved but I haven't tried them again. For stuff on the farm I prefer a brush, lets me get the paint in where it needs to be, and I picked up some gallon cans of red Killrust paint ludicrously cheap a few years ago :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Sep 2023, 9:35 am

Cheers, I've heard that before about the paint pealing, makes me a bit shy about going that way
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation