Nominations for worst gun you can buy in Aus

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Nominations for worst gun you can buy in Aus

Post by womble » 26 Aug 2023, 5:13 am

Ok submit your nomination for worse piece of crap you’ve either owned or fired.
The topic will run for several days and culminate in a leading contender and mods will supply a prize.
Probably a trip to New Caledoniia or gold bullion or something I don’t know, contact admin for the details.

Ok I’ll start.
Rossi/Taurus Circle Jerk
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Nominations for worst gun you can buy in Aus

Post by bigpete » 26 Aug 2023, 7:07 am

Chiappa double badger
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 26 Aug 2023, 11:57 am

Rem 710 has a bad wrap .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 26 Aug 2023, 11:58 am

Lever action Adler has to be up there.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 26 Aug 2023, 2:08 pm

dont Know if you have them over there but my H&R handi rifle in 243 was a pile of s**t no matter what we did the fired case would always stick in the chamber. Other than that easily the worst one for this side of the ditch was my Nea ar15 that was a piece of s**t as well...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by womble » 26 Aug 2023, 3:15 pm

6 contenders so far but the night is young. Sticking cases definitely wins a bonus point.
Additional bonus points if a part falls of the gun when fired.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2023, 4:17 pm

womble wrote:6 contenders so far but the night is young. Sticking cases definitely wins a bonus point.
Additional bonus points if a part falls of the gun when fired.

My SKB semi auto 12g cooking handle used to fly off every now and then . :twisted:
Anything in a SMLE only good thing about them is the bayonet because it makes it easier to put in the ground to hang the tomatoes on . :allegedly:
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 26 Aug 2023, 6:43 pm

Surely this award has to go to some of those terrible Turkish shotguns we've been spammed with in the last 10 years

The first batch of lever actions were absolute garbage. Anyone I know who bought one has a Gun Purchase version of Stockholm Syndrome

"Yeah nah yeah mate you just gotta learn how to cycle it"

No it just sucks mate you fell for a gimmick
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Aug 2023, 7:12 pm

Rossi Grande 30/30
I hated it so much I sold it for $100
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Aug 2023, 7:30 pm

Citadel bt3000.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 27 Aug 2023, 10:56 pm

MH-12 shotgun
Makes the adlers look good....
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 28 Aug 2023, 4:14 am

The mh12 or rather the butchered version of it sold here, receives an honourable mention for being the dumbest thing ever.

The panel has convened and after lengthy and extensive arduous discussion this years nomination and probably all years,
Goes to the Adler 110 lever action shotgun in all its variants of unfettered total pieces of crap.
For successfully providing many years of dissatisfaction and disappointment to all that wasted their money one.
And the everlasting anguish of trying to make one function reliably and trying to convince others that its not really that bad.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Aug 2023, 4:19 am

Marlin 94 in 44 mag . Wouldn’t shoot for s**t, had to do work to make it feed as well, which I solved. But it’d never shoot well. Probably because you’d feel the bore get tight where the barrel was stamped with the marlin name and also where the barrel was slotted for the fore end screw. Sold it after I picked up on the barrel issue
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Aug 2023, 4:22 am

womble wrote:The mh12 or rather the butchered version of it sold here, receives an honourable mention for being the dumbest thing ever.

The panel has convened and after lengthy and extensive arduous discussion this years nomination and probably all years,
Goes to the Adler 110 lever action shotgun in all its variants of unfettered total pieces of crap.
For successfully providing many years of dissatisfaction and disappointment to all that wasted their money one.
And the everlasting anguish of trying to make one function reliably and trying to convince others that its not really that bad.

What! Is the competition over ? You said several days , and it’s only been two. :cry:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 28 Aug 2023, 9:15 am

:unknown: 2 is several
Better luck next year :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 28 Aug 2023, 11:19 pm

Worst when i was a young bloke back in the early 80s was a "Lakefield" Bolt action .22 with tubular mag. Fairly sure Winchester marketed it. Most unreliable piece of crap I played with.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 29 Aug 2023, 3:46 am

Noted Faedy. Tubular mag 22 is enough for me to condemn it, fumble fingers.
I also note you are a proud owner of an Adler
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 29 Aug 2023, 3:46 pm

womble wrote:Noted Faedy. Tubular mag 22 is enough for me to condemn it, fumble fingers.
I also note you are a proud owner of an Adler

Well I sort of resent the "proud" comment lol...
Im also the ashamed owner of a Remington 7600 police in .308 - I class this as the same lack of quality as the Adler.
They are ute guns - throw em in the ute, and if they are still there a week later, they are ok... sort of.. I treat them like the s**t they are, but they still work for ruff stuff.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tassiebloke » 01 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

i have to nominate the Remington 7600. an utter piece of s**t. it reliably doesn't work at all. feeding issues, accuracy issues, the list goes on.
almost everything that Remington has churned out these last decades has been terrible.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Sep 2023, 8:21 pm

I somehow doubt that the OP really does have a finger on the pulse due to never (that I've noticed) posting anything of real substance that indicates actually taking part in the sport or business, of actually and actively taking part of real life hunting.

However, I'll play along with this topic and add from past experience,,,, the worst rifle I've ever owned from new,,,, was a Tikka T3 timbered .308
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Sep 2023, 10:19 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I somehow doubt that the OP really does have a finger on the pulse due to never (that I've noticed) posting anything of real substance that indicates actually taking part in the sport or business, of actually and actively taking part of real life hunting.

However, I'll play along with this topic and add from past experience,,,, the worst rifle I've ever owned from new,,,, was a Tikka T3 timbered .308

So I'm not the only one that had a tikka that was a piece of s**t
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 02 Sep 2023, 9:46 am

deye243 wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:I somehow doubt that the OP really does have a finger on the pulse due to never (that I've noticed) posting anything of real substance that indicates actually taking part in the sport or business, of actually and actively taking part of real life hunting.

So I'm not the only one that had a tikka that was a piece of s**t

You have to be unlucky to get a really bad Tikka but lemons do exist in all makes and models . I have seen bolt handles just fall off early Tikkas . Actually that has a funny story to it . A mate had a Tikka and a very accurate one . I used a Sako on a hunting trip one time we got into the usual Sako verses Tikka kind of discussion . He was adamant how his Tikka was better than my Sako but after a shot he had a bit of trouble opening the bolt due to his reloads not the gun and all of a sudden he pulled real hard on the bolt handle and it came right off . I nearly died laughing . He was dumbfounded and looked stunned .
I calmed down ans said don't worry I will get it fixed for you under warranty . So at the Gunsmiths talking about it and asked does this happen much to Tikkas and he said nothing but then opened a draw and pointed to about 6 Tikka bolts with the same issue he had replaced . It was an issue way back then but I think they fixed it . Not knocking Tikka I think they are a real good gun and I would own one for sure .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Over The Hill » 02 Sep 2023, 3:22 pm

I nominate the Armalite AR7 takedown/survival rifle I bought new in the 70's. Never could get it to feed reliably regardless of ammo or magazine tuning. Ended up disabling the firing mechanism permanently, bashed a length of steel rod into the chamber and gave it to the neighbours young son to play with as a toy.
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 05 Sep 2023, 5:04 pm

Over The Hill wrote:I nominate the Armalite AR7 takedown/survival rifle I bought new in the 70's. Never could get it to feed reliably regardless of ammo or magazine tuning. Ended up disabling the firing mechanism permanently, bashed a length of steel rod into the chamber and gave it to the neighbours young son to play with as a toy.

That was a US Army conspiracy to setup the Air-force with a dud rifle for all the times that the fair weather angles bombed their own side . Lol.
The original AR-7 is now a collectors item .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Sep 2023, 12:46 pm

Hard to beat a Remington 7600/7615.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 12 Nov 2023, 11:10 pm

bigpete wrote:Chiappa double badger

We have paired up on this subject before Pete. :D I never miss a chance to vaunt my dissappointment with the Criappa Double badger
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 13 Nov 2023, 1:27 pm

mickb wrote:
bigpete wrote:Chiappa double badger

We have paired up on this subject before Pete. :D I never miss a chance to vaunt my dissappointment with the Criappa Double badger

Such an utter piece of crap. Even worse imo was the supplier
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 13 Nov 2023, 1:57 pm

I ended up getting my warranty work done almost gratis by the gunsmith at the local shop. The shop owner himself wouldnt stock or handle chiappas anymore as he got tired of the warranty work. The gunsmith got tired of dealing with the dealer. So in the end he did the work on the sly and gave it back to me buggar all cost.
Last edited by mickb on 13 Nov 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2023, 7:02 pm

Monty , what’s wrong with the 7600 /7615
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Larry » 14 Nov 2023, 7:08 am

The Adler did have something going for i That was it opened the door to all those that followed with lever release / button release shotguns and rifles. It may one day lead to the re introduction of semi autos. They at least show that rapid fire has not made them any more dangerous.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation