Nominations for a great firearm

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Nominations for a great firearm

Post by deye243 » 28 Aug 2023, 11:38 pm

OK womble had the nominations for a s**t firearm I thought I would start one for the best for the money and going back as far as the 1970s .
Mine was the ruger 1022 in 1982 I was lucky enough to get one that would shoot a 1.2" group at 80y with just about anything you fed it .
I bet there is gunna be alot of brno's in this thread .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Nominations for a great firearm

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Aug 2023, 12:20 am

SPAS-12, never had a shottie before or since that I liked so much.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 29 Aug 2023, 2:00 am

No1Mk3 wrote:SPAS-12, never had a shottie before or since that I liked so much.

I'm not surprised by that at all .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 29 Aug 2023, 3:41 am

Good idea deye243. I hope I win a prize. Let’s hope admin comes through this time :thumbsup:

I remember the spas 12 selling like hot cakes at Clayton firearms, looked like something out of Star Wars. But I never bought one unfortunately. Inappropriate to say it now, but i remember the wogs loved them. It was Italian made and the Italians had until then made some pretty crap shotguns. I think they were the Turkey of the day. So i guess they were now proud of their efforts.
My favourite wasn’t necessarily the best or most accurate. The Jungle Carbine 303 . Couldn’t even tell you if it had matching numbers etc as they weren’t really highly valued then. It was in good condition though and the bore was still shiny. Regret selling it obviously.
I did have a 10/22 and the 30 round bananas, but it didn’t get much use because i had a decent bolt action 22 with I think 3-12 x 50 that was very accurate and it was a marlin.
Enough rambling, my vote goes to the 303 Jungle Carbine, basing greatness on it’s just an awesome gun to handle and shoot.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2023, 5:47 am

i'll nominate my tikka t3 6.5x55 .got her in a B&C stock , vx5 2-10 loopy on top. the most accurate, reliable rifle i've ever owned, in a caliber flexiable enough to handle 95% off the game i come across at all reasonable distances
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by noneyabussiness » 29 Aug 2023, 6:38 am

Ill Nominate my cz515 ( American ).. crazy accurate and a LOT of fun to shoot....
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by flashman » 29 Aug 2023, 7:19 am

Well I nominate all my Tikka T3 233rem , 308win both been on some hard hunts ,and just keep going ............ :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 29 Aug 2023, 8:52 am

Ruger 10/22 18.5" Stainless "Go Wild', with Magpul X-22 stock and Volquartsen trigger.
It restored my faith in the effectiveness of .22LR for small game.
[I didnt expect that; especially from a semi-auto!]
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2023, 10:15 am

I have two nominations.
One for simplicity and reliability. (not necessarily accuracy),,,,,,,, And that would be the Gevarm .22
I've just given it to my dealer to sell on consignment due to shifting in to town.

One for quality, accuracy, and just loving it,,,,,,, would be my Sako 75 in .308
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 29 Aug 2023, 11:05 am

Tough choice.
Sako L461 Vixen. Fits like a glove, extremely reliable and accurate.
Remington 700 in 26/06. Had it for decades and its very accurate.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 6mm Remington » 29 Aug 2023, 8:31 pm

Those Franchi riot shottys were the go alright. I found the Spas12 a bit heavy to carry around so bought the Pa8 pump only version.
I blew the barrel up with a squibed wad one day at Belmont in front of a mob of boyscouts. Replaced the original 18 inch barrel with a 22 inch and it just got better. I would still have it if not for John Howard.

Remington model Seven "the early 1983 version with walnut stock and 18 inch pencil barrel" is great to carry on foot, on a motorbike or handy out of a vehicle. Never missed a furry target out to about 500 metres.

Marlin 336 in 30-30 made in 1973. Old weaver 4 power on top of the hollow mounts that allow you to still use the open sights.
Really nails those big north Queensland hogs out around the swamps of western Cape York.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pudlux » 30 Aug 2023, 7:52 pm

Browning A5 12g. Best thing l have ever owned until the steal back.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Aug 2023, 9:08 pm

Love my 10/22. But, on the other end of the spectrum…I really like my Bergara single shot 223. Semi auto all the way to single shot. Very different but honestly both great rifles.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2023, 4:09 am

Just a bump for my vote.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Col » 31 Aug 2023, 8:58 am

I love my Brno Mod 1 .22 and a close second is Brno Mod 2.
In centrefire T3 Stainless Varmint in 243
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 31 Aug 2023, 9:35 am

Some notable mentions Browning BAR in 243 what a fun hunting spot lighting rifle, I still miss it !

BLR 358, king of the Lever actions, slick, accurate, quiet and not constrained by dump crap flat nose projectiles :drinks:

But the winner is a Howa, hands down a game changer for the modern times, the mass produced carbon fibre stocked the Super Lite is a clear winner. Everything prior just lies in its shadow..... :shock: :D ;) :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 01 Sep 2023, 4:12 am

Oh really.
And many japs in the jungle did this new fancy pants howa super lite kill
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 01 Sep 2023, 6:13 am

womble wrote:Oh really.

Lol we ain't talking about clunkers thou the Japanese did make the strongest Bolt action in the Arisaka
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Sep 2023, 7:13 am

Billo wrote:Some notable mentions Browning BAR in 243 what a fun hunting spot lighting rifle, I still miss it !

BLR 358, king of the Lever actions, slick, accurate, quiet and not constrained by dump crap flat nose projectiles :drinks:

But the winner is a Howa, hands down a game changer for the modern times, the mass produced carbon fibre stocked the Super Lite is a clear winner. Everything prior just lies in its shadow..... :shock: :D ;) :drinks:

I've owned over 45 different firearms over my time as a lafo, and I've been wracking my brain which one I've considered the best. And I actually hate to say it but I have to agree on the superlite.
Of course its always subjective isn't it. A long range precision shooter won't say that,and clearly if you want something with a good history of killing people it won't make the grade.

Honourable mentions go to the cz 550,winchester model 70 featherweight, and Remington model 7 though.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 01 Sep 2023, 7:53 am

Bigpete Ive owned around 80 rifles and built many a silly contraptions, also love my CZ550 as its a work of art and I can appreciate the simplicity of an old single shot cadet but when I put down my wants in a modern rifle ie CF stock, light weight action, crisp and light trigger, accurate barrel, ease of handling Yeap Howa have nailed it. I wasnt sure about the rubbery spider web coating on the stock but having walked around the hills for the last 3 months almost weekly I now appreciate the finish, anyway off to get another Super Lite later today. This one will get the spotlighting duties :thumbsup:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Sep 2023, 9:00 am

I actually hate the colour of the stock and fully intended to paint it but I'm not sure how successful that will be due to that rubber stippling.
I'd be keen if they start introducing variations on the superlite, I'd probably buy a 24" 22-250 at the drop of a hat,and I reckon a 358w would be awesome. Hell,I'd even buy a 243.....perhaps
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by geoff » 01 Sep 2023, 11:09 am

What a bizarre thing to say in this context
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tassiebloke » 01 Sep 2023, 7:34 pm

the anschutz 1710 classic with iron sights. what a 22lr is meant to be.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Billo » 01 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm

geoff wrote:

What a bizarre thing to say in this context

Probably a Tikka owner pissed at how heavy his heavy russian tomato stake is :lol:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation