Living in QLD

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Living in QLD

Post by CRF » 01 Sep 2023, 12:33 pm

This is all hypothetical at this stage but appreciate any experience.

My wife and I are both born and bred Victorians, I was off a farm and have always been around guns and hunting. It’s the most important part of my life outside family by quite a ways.

I’ve always wanted to move to the NT, I’d even applied for a job there as I was finishing university but fell afoul of that which afflicts all men. I married her so at least it wasn’t a bum call.
Anyways she’s never been keen on that idea but has slowly made her way to the idea of QLD.

Obviously one needs private access to hunt in QLD, I think with my work I should be able to sort that out eventually.

I work in agriculture so would need to be somewhere semi rural at least, while my wife wants a town that’s not too small to live around. I’m curious though, what is the culture towards hunting and guns like in QLD?

Obviously won’t have big public areas like the high country to hunt but if it’s overall not too bad I’d consider the move.

Appreciate any suggestions.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Living in QLD

Post by yoshie » 01 Sep 2023, 6:09 pm

SEQLD the attitude is fairly anti-firearm, it's not really something you'd bring up in the office. R- Licences seem quite popular with new hunters hitting up NSW state forests around northern NSW. Finding private access around SEQLD is rarer then hens teeth. From what I've heard out past Toowoomba and North past Gympie private access is easier. It's all who you know.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Sep 2023, 7:14 pm

Yoshie is right about SEQ. I never talk about shooting, having learned years ago to keep my mouth shut. As for hunting, the best I ever had was guided hunts in Cape York. That is where the pigs are, AFAIK. I tried many years ago, in western southern Qld, to get access to private properties but drew a blank. You can spend an awful lot of time, traipsing around the countryside trying to get permission but all I got was tired-of-it. I worked out, no doubt to justify the large sums spent on guides, that because you got more pigs doing guided hunts, that guided was cheaper per pig than the few properties I got on to, in SEQ.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Sep 2023, 8:11 pm

Oh yeah,,,,, ??
I live in this very area,,,,, and have all the properties I can handle, for hunting.
Sometimes far in excess of what I can service.
The two members prior to my reply must be doing something drastically wrong.
I find in my general area it is more than favorable to firearms,,,,,,, but I suppose it depends on how you approach things and what you can offer in return.
I myself operate as a semi professional shooter,, and even after selling my property just recently, and moving into town,, I seem to be getting even more call outs.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 01 Sep 2023, 8:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Oh yeah,,,,, ??
I live in this very area,,,,, and have all the properties I can handle, for hunting.
Sometimes far in excess of what I can service.
The two members prior to my reply must be doing something drastically wrong.
I find in my general area it is more than favorable to firearms,,,,,,, but I suppose it depends on how you approach things and what you can offer in return.
I myself operate as a semi professional shooter,, and even after selling my property just recently, and moving into town,, I seem to be getting even more call outs.

Like i said it's who you know. Once you get onto one and prove your not a @%#head, you'll get recommend and you'll have a multiple before you know.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Off topic - General conversation