Are you a Summer or Winter person?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Feb 2024, 1:46 pm

Mark me down for Winter!
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Are you a Summer or Winter person?

Post by bigpete » 12 Feb 2024, 2:23 pm

Definitely winter. Its far easier to get warm than stay cool
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2024, 2:39 pm

bigpete wrote:Definitely winter. Its far easier to get warm than stay cool

:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2024, 2:42 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Are you a Summer or Winter person?

Mark me down for Winter!

I grew up in the northwest and would've thought I was more into heat. I moved to country Victoria in my late 40's and find the cold difficult and the heat brutal, just checked and it's 37.1C under the veranda just now. Trying to function with frozen fingers or toes is hard. I tend to think more about the ramifications of hypothermia rather than hyperthermia so I would guess I probably lean toward being more comfortable with heat, I can always crawl under a bush and do what needs to be done when it's cooler in the morning and evening. When I'm cold it requires a lot of work to get comfortably warm again, which is pretty miserable. I was used to heat that is hot for days, weeks, even months at a time. Here we can have a doona on one night and not even tolerate a sheet the following night, it's mad, and I think it makes both extremes more difficult for the body to adjust to.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2024, 2:44 pm

bigpete wrote:Definitely winter. Its far easier to get warm than stay cool

If I can stay on top of it and keep warm before I become cold then I can cope, but generally I don't notice I'm cold until I'm very cold, and then it takes a long time and a lot of work to get myself warm again, especially my feet. If I get really hot it's generally easy to get myself cooled down to a comfortable level again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Feb 2024, 2:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I probably lean toward being more comfortable with heat,.

There's heat and then there's heat AND humidity ..... with all the rain we've had (Hey BOM you got that #*^%^* wrong didn't you!!!) there's been some bloody brutally humid days.

One thing with the warmer days.....the old body aches less. If I had my time over again, I'd pass on playing football.

The UV is bloody brutal too, just being in the sun for a few minutes and I can feel my next crop of skin cancers coming.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Feb 2024, 2:53 pm

Hey just noticed mail notifications are coming through.....that's a first for me with this forum.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2024, 3:08 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Hey just noticed mail notifications are coming through.....that's a first for me with this forum.

Astor fixed it last week, working fine for me now too.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Some weirdness, I have always loved the cold weather, went cross country skiing every year, camping in snow caves etc, wasn't a fan of the heat.
In '95 I moved to Katherine and for the first week I thought I was going to die, then after about 6 weeks I was acclimated, and started to enjoy it.
I came home south for xmas and got splattered by a sleepy semi driver, which left me with a brain injury, and one of its many gifts is that I can't stand hot weather, anything over about 27, I'm getting the vapours.
Still love the cold though, cold enough to make your teeth ache when you breathe and I'm happy.
Bizarrely, I can also no longer whistle, go figure.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 12 Feb 2024, 5:44 pm

Winter better shooting and better fishing and even better no bloody rubber necks .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 12 Feb 2024, 8:17 pm

I love both but for different reasons, pigs need water but funnily enough I've shot more during winter

Deer seem to be rather abundant over summer but become stupid when the frost hits the ground....
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 13 Feb 2024, 12:59 pm

Well definitely not a hot summer person at all. Nor am I a big fan of humid hot summer weather. About 30C is enough for me but think 15 to 25C is perfect.

Where I live is not too different than higher elevation towns in Victoria like Kyneton except the winters are colder.

In the end I like all 4 seasons and once I get sick of one, I am usually ready for the next one.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jackaroo » 13 Feb 2024, 1:12 pm

wanneroo wrote:Well definitely not a hot summer person at all. Nor am I a big fan of humid hot summer weather. About 30C is enough for me but think 15 to 25C is perfect.

Where I live is not too different than higher elevation towns in Victoria like Kyneton except the winters are colder.

In the end I like all 4 seasons and once I get sick of one, I am usually ready for the next one.

Unfortunately in a lot of Oz we don't get 4 seasons, more like a 9 month Summer and a 3 month Autumn and the 2-3 days of cold when people dress like the Michelan Man and its really only around 15° :D
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Feb 2024, 4:39 pm

Hunting I don’t mind. Hot days is pigs cats and foxes on water Cold days is uncomfortable on a quad bike but more hours of animals feeding out n about in the paddocks. Work wise summer is a bitch , for construction workers
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Feb 2024, 6:31 am

Is Spring or Autumn an option?
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 14 Feb 2024, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2024, 7:08 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Is Spring or Autumn an open?

:thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 14 Feb 2024, 12:43 pm

Jackaroo wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Well definitely not a hot summer person at all. Nor am I a big fan of humid hot summer weather. About 30C is enough for me but think 15 to 25C is perfect.

Unfortunately in a lot of Oz we don't get 4 seasons, more like a 9 month Summer and a 3 month Autumn and the 2-3 days of cold when people dress like the Michelan Man and its really only around 15° :D

Yes I prefer to visit Australia from about April to October. Even what you all call "winter" is very reasonable for me. I'm not into snakes, bugs, humidity or blazing hot sun.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by FTL » 14 Feb 2024, 9:53 pm

Summer
FTL
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 15 Feb 2024, 6:05 pm

Summer
Although days of 47 degrees are not fun
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by alexjones » 16 Feb 2024, 9:19 am

Summer. There is a thing called air conditioning that one should have in their house or car. Much more functional then the cold of winter needing heating.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2024, 3:12 pm

alexjones wrote:Summer. There is a thing called air conditioning that one should have in their house or car. Much more functional then the cold of winter needing heating.

Myself and Rose have never liked air-con, in homes or vehicles. I give it value in a business as it lets people that don't like being warm still function to earn you money. I had air-con in the caravan when we worked in the Kimberley, certainly was nice to come home for lunch and be cool, but made it very hard to go back out into the heat after lunch. I grew up in Tennant Creek, South Hedland and Mt Newman and we never had air-con, even at school I don't recall anywhere being air-conditioned other than some office buildings. I have been in other vehicles that have freezing air-con and don't like it at all, I think it exacerbates the differential so you feel the heat even worse when you get back out into it. We don't like air-con or use it anywhere, give us a shady spot with a cooling breeze every time.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Feb 2024, 3:22 pm

If you use the air con too much the body will not acclimatise.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Feb 2024, 3:51 pm

If camping better cold than very hot IMO
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation