Selling a gun- payment options

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Selling a gun- payment options

Post by mickb » 22 Feb 2024, 9:09 pm

Hi Gents, had sold quite a few guns over the years online. I'm a bit leary of handing out bank details these days in light of all the silliness going on.
What are the other options? Can i join paypal and do it that way? Can a buyer who isnt with paypal still pay a paypal seller?

Can people pay onto an actual master card if I give them the number? I dont do online banking btw, still in the dark ages...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Selling a gun- payment options

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 12:44 pm

I buy a lot of guns online from dealers. They send me a PO and I bank transfer or I pay credit card over the phone.

The guns I have bought from private sellers I have met the individual at a gun shop and paid cash directly to the individual.

I am going to assume you are not a dealer so you can just have the individual send the money to the dealers bank account that you are going to use for the transfer. He will take his fee for the transfer and for shipping(if not local pick up).
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 23 Feb 2024, 12:47 pm

USE ESCROW! unless you can guarantee that the firearm is going to be in your possession after the transaction/in the possession of the agent/store you are using...
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 23 Feb 2024, 12:56 pm

gunderson wrote:USE ESCROW! unless you can guarantee that the firearm is going to be in your possession after the transaction/in the possession of the agent/store you are using...

thanks but what did that even mean mate :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunderson » 23 Feb 2024, 12:57 pm

Escrow = third party payment service, they get paid when the firearm is safely where its supposed to be
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 23 Feb 2024, 12:57 pm

alexjones wrote:
I am going to assume you are not a dealer so you can just have the individual send the money to the dealers bank account that you are going to use for the transfer. He will take his fee for the transfer and for shipping(if not local pick up).

So the dealer hands me the cash once transferred do you mean?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 1:03 pm

mickb wrote:
alexjones wrote:

Yes or you might trust him more to send you the money to your bank account. Whatever deal you work out with your local dealer.

Speak to the dealer you are going to use. He may or may not want the cost of the gun on his books for tax reasons and wants you to get cash directly from the seller.
Last edited by alexjones on 23 Feb 2024, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 23 Feb 2024, 1:04 pm

gunderson wrote:Escrow = third party payment service, they get paid when the firearm is safely where its supposed to be

\Who gets paid when the firearm is safely where it is meant to be? Me as the seller or Escrow?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 23 Feb 2024, 1:05 pm

alexjones wrote:
mickb wrote:
alexjones wrote:

Yes or you might trust him more to send you the money to your bank account. Whatever deal you work out with your local dealer.

Speak to the dealer you are going to use.

I just called the dealer and he said he doesnt do that, nor had he heard of anyone doing it. I'd honestly be suprised they did myself. Might just be small towns like mine they dont.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunderson » 23 Feb 2024, 1:09 pm

oh well if youre the one selling thats different, get ya money asap lol... I misread earlier
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 23 Feb 2024, 1:24 pm

alexjones wrote:
mickb wrote:
alexjones wrote:

Speak to the dealer you are going to use. He may or may not want the cost of the gun on his books for tax reasons and wants you to get cash directly from the seller.

Im the seller. Why would the seller be giving someone cash?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Pendous » 25 Feb 2024, 9:12 pm

mickb, open yourself another bank account to use for transaction such as this.
I bank with two different institutions and use multiple accounts at each for moving funds with private individuals and most online purchases.
This allows you to maintain an account with zero balance (or close to depending on your institutions requirements) to then add funds before making a payment or in this case to receive.

PayPal will accommodate this transaction but charge a fee to either the sender or recipient depending on the request and I trust my banking institution over eBay. I don't believe PayPal is still owned by eBay?

'Osko' is another service offered by both my banking institutions. It allows you to pay individuals without sharing bank account numbers.
Individuals are able to use a phone number or email address instead linked to their own accounts.

If operating using a second or multiple accounts and you feel uneasy after the transaction just close that said account.

I'm one of those weirdos who generally use cash and rarely 'tap'. I do online banking though only via my banking institutions website on my home PC.
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 26 Feb 2024, 1:29 pm

Cheers mate I might do that, use a completely different bank for it too. I try to use cash as well and dont even own a smart phone. I'm not tin foil hat about phones, I just dont need all the functions.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation