Bots (not the fly)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Bots (not the fly)

Post by Lazarus » 18 Mar 2024, 3:06 pm

I've been reading about the proliferation of bots on the web.

Apparently, since the Alpha Twit took over Twitter, the bots have bred like e.coli, and are generating strings of bot to bot conversations.

I've often wondered if there are any here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /103498070
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Re: Bots (not the fly)

Post by deye243 » 18 Mar 2024, 3:15 pm

Haha when I was a kid a bot was a scab you know people that don't buy bugger all and sponge of everyone around them .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 18 Mar 2024, 3:37 pm

it has nothing to do with Elon... bots are more prevalent elsewhere than Twitter/X..... Bots are nothing new and go right back to the early days of IRC channels.

Bots have been online since the dawn of the internet... its literally just programs.. AI has accelerated it, nothing else.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by gunderson » 18 Mar 2024, 3:40 pm

In fact basically every major media group is using AI now to generate 90% of their material, so Journalism died eons ago, now even sh!tposting MSM is literally just AI repetitiously gargling on its owners propaganda.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by alexjones » 18 Mar 2024, 3:42 pm

You should have a read about the dead internet theory

The dead Internet theory is an online conspiracy theory that asserts that the Internet now consists mainly of bot activity and automatically generated content manipulated by algorithmic curation, marginalizing organic human activity, to manipulate the population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Internet_theory
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 18 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm

I'll tell ya now Alex, Unless you are using a TOR browser on a very secure VPN your internet is only feeding you the same s**t you already habitually look at, so keeping you comfortably in your microcosm, this is why people think they are so right when it comes to topics they get involved in, the trumpers, the anti trumpers, the biden fans, labor and liberal voters, greenies, lefties, ultra conservatives, feminists, lgbt+ mongs etc etc etc etc, they might as well be sat in front of the TV only ever watching one channels PROGRAMMING...

All social media and big tech firms like Google and Amazon and Meta and so on and so on are all working against you escaping your own confirmation bias and rhetoric.

Lazarus linked the ABC, they are one of the worst propagandist organizations in the country.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Lazarus » 18 Mar 2024, 5:29 pm

deye243 wrote:Haha when I was a kid a bot was a scab you know people that don't buy bugger all and sponge of everyone around them .

So it was Deye

And a bum as well, "always bumming fags"
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 18 Mar 2024, 5:37 pm

gunderson wrote:it has nothing to do with Elon... bots are more prevalent elsewhere than Twitter/X..... Bots are nothing new and go right back to the early days of IRC channels.

Bots have been online since the dawn of the internet... its literally just programs.. AI has accelerated it, nothing else.

Well gunderson, I didn't say "because of Musk" did I?

I said "since"

Stand in the corner for not paying attention

I didn't suggest bots just landed from Uranus either, of course they've been around,, put on the pointy hat as well, and stay there until you can spell your name 3 times in a row without making a mistake.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 18 Mar 2024, 5:41 pm

alexjones wrote:You should have a read about the dead internet theory

The dead Internet theory is an online conspiracy theory that asserts that the Internet now consists mainly of bot activity and automatically generated content manipulated by algorithmic curation, marginalizing organic human activity, to manipulate the population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Internet_theory

I have a dystopian turn of mind alexjones, with an aftertaste of paranoia, I can totally see that.

Don't get me started on the banks push to eliminate cash, and where I see that leading
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation