Test / loan rifles offered anywhere?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Test / loan rifles offered anywhere?

Post by heron » 27 May 2014, 8:49 am

Hi guys,

Soon to be first time shooter here. Hopefully not too annoying with the questions :D

I read something in the paper ages ago about firearms dealers lending guns to people.

I asked at a pair of my stores if they had anything like load rifles (once my shooting license comes back) to give something a go and make sure it was the right one for you but both said they didn't.

Do any dealers do this as far as anyone knows? Could be I remembered the article wrong to be honest. It was a year or two that I read it...

Thanks guys.
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Test / loan rifles offered anywhere?

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 May 2014, 12:04 pm

I think you're more likely to find a range that offers this service than dealers. I know pistol clubs usually have loan pistols you can shoot but don't know about rifles
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 27 May 2014, 3:15 pm

Maybe for second hand stuff?

No one's going to do it with new rifles for you though.

If you don't buy then they've got a second hand rifle to sell.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Octane » 27 May 2014, 3:56 pm

Maybe they're "allowed" to.

I've never seen or heard it actually offered anywhere.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 May 2014, 8:24 pm

A number of years back there was a dealer in Victoria (old Bob) unfortunately long deceased.
He had a range (for, rifles) and also a row of clay throwers for shotties out the back (he conducted his business at his home property)
He dealt with both new and secondhand.
Anyone interested in S/H firearms could try them out.
For new stuff if he had a S/H one the same, you could still have a go that way.
He told me that the range and the throwers sold more stuff than he could have done without em.
Pity some of the dealers today didnt follow on with that idea. "Rest in Peace Bob"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 28 May 2014, 12:59 pm

Well congratulations and welcome to the shooting community. There is much information out there about gun reviews etc and youtube is a good place to start your research . There is an old saying and used by even older shooters that you do not lend your rifle, motorcycle or misses as they will definetly come back f#$%^&. So I doubt you will find a dealer that will let you test shoot a range of rifles. Narrow down your field of choice by what you intend to shoot, how much you want to spend etc and then look at the variable range of rifles in that category. The golden rule is take your time and get as much information as you possible can and you will be surprised about what you will learn along the way.As you are in NSW there is the upcomming 2014 Shot Show at Rosehill Racourse in June and this would be a great place to gain info. Keep us posted on your progress.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 29 May 2014, 1:51 pm

Die Judicii wrote:He told me that the range and the throwers sold more stuff than he could have done without em.

Some just can't see it that way.

Unless you're buying it right then and there they can only see a waste of time.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aussier » 29 May 2014, 1:53 pm

Old Fart / Judicii,

Yep, too many of the current guys are 'order takers' not sales and service people.

They'll take your cash or do nothing.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 1:55 pm

I remember gunmart in Perth years back, letting you have a crack in their underground range ( If it was a pistol or low powered rifle ) And if they had one the same or similar that was second hand. Not sure about now but I hear they have changed hands.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by heron » 29 May 2014, 1:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Pity some of the dealers today didnt follow on with that idea.

None so far :|
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 29 May 2014, 2:09 pm

You're not gunna be able to try everything before you buy it.

Best advice I say is ask lots of questions from fellow shooters. Here is good :P

One thing to keep in mind is the store will want to sell you what they have in stock. The best option might not always be on the shelf, so ask around and make the best decision, not just the one that's available.

Plenty of guys here experience with all the brands to give you the pros and cons.

Get to a shop and have a look/feel of a few things, narrow it down to a few that interest you then ask for some second opinions to help make your mind up.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 2:23 pm

Usurper wrote:You're not gunna be able to try everything before you buy it.

Best advice I say is ask lots of questions from fellow shooters. Here is good :P

One thing to keep in mind is the store will want to sell you what they have in stock. The best option might not always be on the shelf, so ask around and make the best decision, not just the one that's available.

Plenty of guys here experience with all the brands to give you the pros and cons.

Get to a shop and have a look/feel of a few things, narrow it down to a few that interest you then ask for some second opinions to help make your mind up.

+ 1
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 May 2014, 4:22 pm

Usurper wrote:One thing to keep in mind is the store will want to sell you what they have in stock. The best option might not always be on the shelf, so ask around and make the best decision, not just the one that's available.

When I went to buy my first pistol I walked in and asked the bloke behind the counter to order me a beretta (about $800) and he launched straight into this spiel about how I didn't want that and I really needed an STI (about $1500). I took a quick look around his store and counted 5 big STI posters. I thanked him for his time and took my business elsewhere :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 30 May 2014, 10:29 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I thanked him for his time and took my business elsewhere :lol:

That's it.

Vote with your feet.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 30 May 2014, 10:33 am

Usurper wrote:One thing to keep in mind is the store will want to sell you what they have in stock.

I get that to an extent. Some of the blokes though...

I've gone into a store before and said "I want X, I know you won't have one and have to order it in, happy to pay deposit blah blah blah."

Easiest sale in the world, you'd think he'd be happy, but no.

He spent so my time bagging what I wanted and trying to get me to take something of the shelf I said I was going to buy it somewhere else (and told him so).

By all means make a suggestion for something that's available if it's decent, above that though just give the customer what they f***ing want...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 30 May 2014, 10:34 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I thanked him for his time and took my business elsewhere :lol:

+1
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by heron » 30 May 2014, 10:35 am

Usurper wrote:Best advice I say is ask lots of questions from fellow shooters. Here is good :P

I will.

It's all good. Just wasn't sure what the situation was around this kind of stuff.
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation