Anodized Aluminium

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Anodized Aluminium

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2024, 8:32 pm

Has anybody got any offcuts (preferably green) but would be interested in other colors.
Need a piece at least 300mm x 250mm 1mm thick or greater.
Outdoor grade preferred.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance and willing to pay for.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Anodized Aluminium

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Apr 2024, 9:01 pm

Have you considered making it in raw aluminium and having it anodised, there's no shortage of plating shops that can do it. It'll give you superior results as all the worked edges will be protected.
It can also be done at home with some pretty basic materials.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2024, 11:09 am

I only have mill finish. Pretty sure it’s at least 1.2. Ican measure if this product is acceptable
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Has anybody got any offcuts (preferably green) but would be interested in other colors.
Need a piece at least 300mm x 250mm 1mm thick or greater.
Outdoor grade preferred.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance and willing to pay for.

My neighbour does CNC work. I approached him a couple months ago about making grave markers for unmarked graves. These graves have zero funds to maintain them so we're looking for a very cheap way to mark them that should require zero maintenance for decades. We were thinking of using recycled plastic "timber" decking material for its hardiness and low cost, but he happened to be doing some signage using a plastic/aluminium sandwich material used for cladding skyscrapers. It's about 5mm thick with 1mm each side being a bonded anodised aluminium. He offered to make me a few sample markers we can put in the paddock to see how they weather. I don't know what the material is called as I doubt we could get grant money to buy enough of it but if you think it might be suitable I can ask about it. He has offcuts as another neighbour has worked with the material for years.
Attachments
20240213_162716b.jpg
20240213_162716b.jpg (408.04 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Apr 2024, 11:04 pm

Thanks to all,,,,,, especially On One Wheel.
I was suffering from tunnel vision and thinking only of getting Anodized sheet/plate from the factory,, and never once thinking of getting ordinary Ally sheet to begin with and then getting an electroplating company to anodize it as a final step.
I did look online to procure what I need,,,, and only found two options.
One company was selling pre anodized pieces approx 75mm x 50mm which was way too small,,,,,,, and other companies offering full sized sheets which of course were far to large not to mention more than I can afford.

I do however have ample offcuts of new plain aluminium sheet that I can use,, and have also found a company that do anodizing as well as laser etching.

I plan on having a plaque made in memory of my best mate who sadly passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Easter Sunday.
Apart from appropriate wording, I also plan on having his head and shoulders likeness etched into it.
When finished it will be attached to the side of my shooting rig,,,, to be viewed by all and sundry wherever it may be parked or travelling in the future.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation