Black Cat (Panther) Video

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Black Cat (Panther) Video

Post by Die Judicii » 01 May 2024, 9:41 pm

An interesting pic and video yesterday of a Panther videoed by a prospector near Ballarat in Victoria.
To see and read the accompanying story,, just go to the Yahoo site and search "Black cat (Panther) near Ballarat.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Black Cat (Panther) Video

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 May 2024, 10:05 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news.c ... 47f9%3famp

Well its definitely a panther, the blunt tail is a sure sign.
The legitimacy of the video is the only bit I'm going to question.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2024, 10:29 pm

IMO it's fake.

It's a perfect video. No shake, panther exactly centre of screen.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 May 2024, 1:03 am

Its very clearly just a black feral cat. Looks nothing like a panther and never will. Just another person clutching at the straws of the Australian panther myth
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2024, 5:48 am

bigpete wrote:Its very clearly just a black feral cat. Looks nothing like a panther and never will. Just another person clutching at the straws of the Australian panther myth

the only thing for context of it's size is the grass around it . to me it looks like a cat . i have however seen other vids that came out not to long ago that DO lend some credibility to the panther myth . the best one i saw was the cat clawing a tree in the vid , and the Filmer shower how far up the tree the claw marks were, which was well over a meter . i have however seen some VERY large feral cats . after a few generations their fur turns into a tan/fawn color .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 02 May 2024, 8:40 am

Looks like an oversized, well fed feral, to me. :o
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by niteowl » 02 May 2024, 10:28 am

Big moggy
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 02 May 2024, 11:33 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Its very clearly just a black feral cat. Looks nothing like a panther and never will. Just another person clutching at the straws of the Australian panther myth

the only thing for context of it's size is the grass around it . to me it looks like a cat . i have however seen other vids that came out not to long ago that DO lend some credibility to the panther myth . the best one i saw was the cat clawing a tree in the vid , and the Filmer shower how far up the tree the claw marks were, which was well over a meter . i have however seen some VERY large feral cats . after a few generations their fur turns into a tan/fawn color .

If you watch the first video,top left of the screen either a human or a roo or other bipedal critter goes over the hill by the building. That gives you good context as to the cats size. Second video its clearly just a decent sized feral. I don't see how anyone can look at either video and seriously think either is a panther
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2024, 5:00 pm

The power of suggestion
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TheWolf » 05 May 2024, 9:08 am

the thing is feral cats don't really get all that big in the wild, I've shot s**t tonnes of them, all seem to be ...well just cats...
TheWolf
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2024, 5:15 pm

TheWolf wrote:the thing is feral cats don't really get all that big in the wild, I've shot s**t tonnes of them, all seem to be ...well just cats...

I'd disagree with that. They can be a big or bigger than a fox. Here's one old photo showing how big they can from back when my dad shot foxes for skins
Screenshot_20240505-164441_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240505-164441_Gallery.jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 97 times

But that is FAR from being panther sized
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 May 2024, 6:56 pm

That’s a ripper moggy
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2024, 8:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:That’s a ripper moggy

Several times as a kid I remember dad coming back from fox shooting trips with cat skins that were as big or bigger than the fox skins. Hoping there's more photos amongst his slide collection
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation