Kids and firearms

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Kids and firearms

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

Hi Guys,

Can I get your thoughts on teaching kids about firearms?

I have a 15 year old, an 18 year old and a 4 year old.

My 18 year old boy has no interest, other than the "wow" factor, but my 15 yo girl is showing quite a bit of interest. Last night, she asked me if we could teach her to shoot. I know my 4yo will want to jump on the bandwagon as well, although I'm going to make her wait a while.

So what are your thoughts?

Under supervised, and very much controlled, conditions, should I teach them to shoot? They are going to have to learn about firearms safety, whether they want to shoot or not because at some stage, I will have my gun/s out of the safe.

I'd probably start them with the air rifle, shooting targets in the paddock, under supervision of course.

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Kids and firearms

Post by Shotfox » 19 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

Absolutely get them involved. This is where it all starts and learning at an early age will bring them up as responsible shooters. Talk to your local clubs as they will get them involved with good mentoring and coaching. Good for you Jenna
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

That's what I was thinking.

My dad taught my brother about firearms to take away the fascination. I personally couldn't think of a worse person to have around firearms, but anyway.

I'm planning on joining the Hallston Gun Club to start off with, and hopefully I'll get the whole family involved. My husband use to go to Vic Ranges, and he's expressed an interest in shooting again.

If I was to teach my kids about firearms, do you think it would take the fascination out of it? I, myself, am quite fearful of guns, however I need to get over that. And I think it's partly due to my lack of understanding about them.

Anyway, have a great day everyone!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

My eldest Daughter has her Juniors Permit, my youngest Daughter will have her's by the end of the year. My girls wanted to learn about firearms since both myself and my wife shoot so I guess it was a natural progression of things. My eldest has just started hunting with me and the youngest is keen to get going too.

I think teaching kids about firearms is the best way to keep them from doing anything they could regret as you can show them what the dangers are etc if they are misused etc.

Firearms aren't dangerous as such, just stupid people who don't have respect for their capabilities that are. Teach them to respect and use them safely and you won't ever have a problem with them - take them to a rifle range and I'm sure the club will be only too happy to help them learn all about firearms ownership and safe use.

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Shotfox » 19 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm

jennageit wrote:That's what I was thinking.

My dad taught my brother about firearms to take away the fascination. I personally couldn't think of a worse person to have around firearms, but anyway.

I'm planning on joining the Hallston Gun Club to start off with, and hopefully I'll get the whole family involved. My husband use to go to Vic Ranges, and he's expressed an interest in shooting again.

If I was to teach my kids about firearms, do you think it would take the fascination out of it? I, myself, am quite fearful of guns, however I need to get over that. And I think it's partly due to my lack of understanding about them.

Anyway, have a great day everyone!

Jenna

Personally I would have a good chat with your local gun club before you proceed to teach them yourself and especially if you do not feel that confident at this stage. Please remember safety is paramount there is no second chances should something go wrong. The gun club will install confidence in the handling of firearms in a safe environment for all and they will start from the very beginning.

Its great you are taking the initiative with the kids but please start with the right advice from the club from the very start and you will be all amazed at what you will learn and fun it is.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 2:53 pm

The guys at the gun club will get my kids started. I'm pretty much on the same page as the kids, although I have used firearms many, many years ago.

I'll make sure they get started right.

If nothing else, I want them to respect firearms. Even if they don't want to learn how to shoot, as long as they respect them, and follow EVERY safety procedure to the letter, I'm happy.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 19 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm

jennageit wrote:The guys at the gun club will get my kids started. I'm pretty much on the same page as the kids, although I have used firearms many, many years ago.

I'll make sure they get started right.

If nothing else, I want them to respect firearms. Even if they don't want to learn how to shoot, as long as they respect them, and follow EVERY safety procedure to the letter, I'm happy.

I wish many more parents had the same responsible practice foresight as you do with firearms rather than run scare campaigns against what is a very rewarding sport or hobby.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

With my kids, do it right and how you are taught or don't do it at all. We've been like that for everything else on the farm. Consequently, our now 20 year old is still s**ty because I refuse to let him on my quad bike. He was being a dick and nearly turned it over onto himself. Get it right, from the start or you don't do it at all. Seems fair to me, and it's managed to keep all of us safe so far.

On a side note, I was horrified to see my neighbours kids out with a couple of shotguns the other day. The oldest is 13, and they were taking potshots at something on their dam. Not an adult in sight, until I rang their mum that is. You could hear her screaming at them from a mile away to make their bloody guns safe and hand em over. About ten minutes later, we got to hear a lovely argument going on between husband and wife.
2 unsupervised kids with shotguns. ages 13 and 10 in a paddock near their dairy cows. a disaster waiting to happen, IMO
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm

jennageit wrote:With my kids, do it right and how you are taught or don't do it at all. We've been like that for everything else on the farm. Consequently, our now 20 year old is still s**ty because I refuse to let him on my quad bike. He was being a d**k and nearly turned it over onto himself. Get it right, from the start or you don't do it at all. Seems fair to me, and it's managed to keep all of us safe so far.

On a side note, I was horrified to see my neighbours kids out with a couple of shotguns the other day. The oldest is 13, and they were taking potshots at something on their dam. Not an adult in sight, until I rang their mum that is. You could hear her screaming at them from a mile away to make their bloody guns safe and hand em over. About ten minutes later, we got to hear a lovely argument going on between husband and wife.
2 unsupervised kids with shotguns. ages 13 and 10 in a paddock near their dairy cows. a disaster waiting to happen, IMO

had a similar thing happen to some frieds kids about 25 years ago.... farming family with 8 ! Kids, 6 boys and 2 girls. The youngest two, 3 and 4 yo walked into the kitchen with the 30" side by side 12 gauge, the 4 yo had the barrel resting on his 3yo brothers shoulder saying BANG ! BANG ! and pointing it at their mum and dad !
Consequently they had thier asses tanned BIG TIME and the guns were stores safely from there on in.... luckily the thing wasnt loadsd.

The most important lesson comes first..... they are not toys, they are designed to kill and cause horrendous dammage to flesh and bone.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

Yes, definitely including the 18yo.
I'd put in the same boat as teaching kids water safety and learn to swim but see if you can get a instructor from the local club. Always seems to carry more weight when coming from someone else, bit like learning to drive, I suppose.
Be interested in hearing how it all goes....
cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

I'll keep everyone updated on how it all goes with the kids. Me first though! lol

My husband now says I'm addicted, which gives me two vices. Smoking and Firearms. Not bad for someone my age!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 12:53 pm

One more thing:

At what age could I take my daughter to the gun club to start learning about firearms, safety and shooting?

Is there an ideal age? She's just about to turn 5, so I know I'll probably have to wait a few years.

Also, my 15 year old daughter. Would she be old enough to start down this road?
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Calamity Jen » 20 Jul 2014, 5:01 pm

12 is the youngest they can be licensed from in my state of NSW. My middle two girls are keen and are 12 & 14. They will be doing their safety course next month and then applying for their longarms licences. They are welcome at my pistol club for a shoot, but I am just going to see how they go with longarms first as to be honest, I'm not made of money and it gets exy with me alone!!! As I am fairly keen ABH shooter (I tend to shoot weekly at a minimum), they think it would be cool to shoot with their mum. LOL I am happy to take them along. As far as their being ideal ages, I just take their lead as a guide. All kids are different, that's for sure. Good luck with it all.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Calamity Jen » 20 Jul 2014, 5:04 pm

12 is the youngest they can be licensed from. My middle two girls are keen and are 12 & 14. They will be doing their safety course next month and then applying for their longarms licences. They are welcome at my pistol club for a shoot, but I am just going to see how they go with longarms first as to be honest, I'm not made of money and it gets exy with me alone!!! As I am fairly keen ABH shooter (I tend to shoot weekly at a minimum), they think it would be cool to shoot with their mum. LOL I am happy to take them along. As far as their being ideal ages, I just take their lead as a guide. All kids are different, that's for sure. Good luck with it all.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 21 Jul 2014, 9:13 am

I can't help but say "what a shame this does not happen in Schools" I was fortunate to have a private School education in Sydney. We had Shooting as a sport! we also had compulsory Cadets in years 9 and 10 and every boy in the School, shot a rifle and was taught basic safety. My boys also had the privilege of going to this School and the system is still the same. In fact the GPS School's held their annual Full Bore comp out at Hornsby Range last week and 7 schools participated including NEGS (New England Girls School) from Armidale.
Firearms are a part of the curriculum at some of these Schools.
Wouldn't it be nice if the same applied to all Schools. Where they teach that firearms are a part of society, something that we should all know, respect and understand.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 21 Jul 2014, 1:45 pm

jennageit wrote:At what age could I take my daughter to the gun club to start learning about firearms, safety and shooting?

Is there an ideal age? She's just about to turn 5, so I know I'll probably have to wait a few years.

Also, my 15 year old daughter. Would she be old enough to start down this road?

I think she has to be 12? That's when she can get her junior license in Victoria and I believe it's the same age to shoot at a club.

You're eldest is fine of course, a few years for the little one still.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation