Can you 'target shoot' at home?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Can you 'target shoot' at home?

Post by yookehoo » 28 Jun 2017, 10:46 pm

bentaz wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
sungazer wrote:The way i read the act is if you have less than 5 people and are more than 250 meters from a dwelling/house then you can set up targets and shoot for up to 3 hours straight.

As I recall, the 5+ relates to the 'notice to police' requirement, else there is NO limit on how many can be involved :thumbsup: :drinks:

We had up to 20 shooters on my birthday and the shooting went for about 12 hours straight, with a good burst the evening before and a fair bit more on the sunday too.
According to my local police as I'm not charging people or advertising theres no problems.

how big your land is ? and how to measure the distance? is it from the point of where u shooting to where the house will be?
yookehoo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2017, 1:03 am

Dunxy wrote:Also, I couldn't find any rule about this "5 person 3 hour" stuff ive seen mentioned?

If any Victorians know of the rules outlining these other 2 previously mentioned claims, please point me to page in the act, because I word searched the whole document and found nawt relating to them.I will be target shooting on a mates farm and want to ensure i am following all laws.

Regardless of what regular members of the po-po say, the firearms act is the law, anybody after proper advice should contact local DFO rather than just asking a general officer (or worse, relying on internet forums!) who may not actually know the law!.Or you can just read the ACT as i have done.

Not ragging on anybody, im just trying to make sure i obey the rules and to clear up some obvious mis conceptions that could possibly turn of new people considering the sport, maybe these rules apply in other states (im Victorian so im researching laws apply to me, not other states, sorry guys!) or years gone by, the paragraph i quoted about target shooting on private property is DIRECTLY FROM THE FIREARMS ACT 1996 page 294 so is absolutely accurate, not word of mouth or something some bloke said.

As a person who has recently completed the safety course and testing i was very underwhelmed by the scope of information provided by instructors,unless you know what questions to ask and actively ask them, there's so much information they don't cover AND that the handbook doesn't cover, the only way to find it is ready the 300 od page act or contacting local DFO (mine grumbled at me for asking a couple questions and pretty well told me to read the ACT! Your results may vary!), which is stupid IMHO. Its exactly the same in the fishing community, so i guess i shouldn't be surprised!

The information you are requesting is all contained earlier in this thread.
A problem with referring to the Firearms Act and the Firearms Regulations (two separate documents), is that you aren't always looking at the very latest information. You also need to trawl the Police Firearms webpages and documents linked from there.
It is never a bad idea to request email confirmation from your local DFO as they're most likely to be the guys you'll be dealing with if there's a problem.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/dde300b846eed9c7ca257616000a3571/09c184d87048bd4aca2579ff00167754/$FILE/96-66aa064%20authorised.pdf

Section 22 of the Regulations covers target shooting on private property.
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt7.nsf/b1612aeaf0625227ca257619000d0882/51898447f261697fca257a7e000bfece/$FILE/08-22sra002%20authorised.pdf
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 02 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm

TYVM Bladeracer, nice to read the exact wording of the rule/s.

So many people have no knowledge of this rule, i have multiple friends who been shooting up to 20 years each and they had no clue and even disputed the truthfulness of it.

The buggers do not make it easy for us it by having both the act and regulations!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 1:17 pm

Dunxy wrote:TYVM Bladeracer, nice to read the exact wording of the rule/s.

So many people have no knowledge of this rule, i have multiple friends who been shooting up to 20 years each and they had no clue and even disputed the truthfulness of it.

The buggers do not make it easy for us it by having both the act and regulations!

The Regulations only came into effect in 2008, I don't know that there were any such restrictions prior to that.
It is so poorly worded that I suspect you could put it in front of ten different English teachers and lawyers and get ten different views of what it means.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shoot_Responsibly » 29 Dec 2021, 11:37 am

In Victoria, you will need to check with the Local Council,
They can provide you the necessary information from operating a small private gun range at home withitn specificied hours,
to the EPA noise requirements around your property and how far and how loud any noise may travel from repeated gun shots.
It may be perfectly Ok for an owner to give permission to shot on their property and then the Council/EPA to come along and shut things down.
Shoot_Responsibly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation