Shooters licence fee

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Shooters licence fee

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much my shooters licence is going to cost me?

It's a Category A & B. Also, I'm in Victoria.

I contacted Firearms Licencing Division, but they were cagey about it and didn't really want to give me any information at all. Not helpful, so thought I'd ask you guys instead.

Thanks in advance
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shooters licence fee

Post by T_M » 20 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

It's about $250 for Category B (includes A): http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34389

Westpac will become your favourite bank. After you fill out a form and apply, you should receive a blue slip in the mail. Take that into a Westpac bank, pay, and get them to stamp the slip. Then take the stamped slip to a post office to get your photo taken. They'll then send the form off, rip the slip off for you to keep and use until the card comes in the mail.

Bank of Melbourne and Westpac have some joint thing going on but you'll need to get everything stamped at a Westpac bank. This was a bit annoying when Westpac's store locator displayed Bank of Melbourne banks by mistake. I ended up running around to a couple of banks one time just to get a $9 permit to acquire paid for.
Anschutz 1416 D HB Classic w/ Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 3:19 pm

Thanks T_M

I just had a look, and I'm up for $250.90 for the licence.

Westpac bank will be hard to find down here I think. I'll hit their locator and see what it comes up with.

First things first though, I'm going to join Hallston Gun Club.

Everything will be done in stages for me.

Also, if I was to go to a GS and pick our my rifle/s, I obviously have to fill out a PTA for each, but do I pay for the firearms then, put a deposit on it/them, or hope they have it in when my PTA/s come back?

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by T_M » 20 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

jennageit wrote:Also, if I was to go to a GS and pick our my rifle/s, I obviously have to fill out a PTA for each, but do I pay for the firearms then, put a deposit on it/them, or hope they have it in when my PTA/s come back?

I've only used a PTA to transfer ownership of a rifle.

I think I filled in the PTA form after I'd paid for my licence, submitted it, and then waited 28 days for the permit to arrive in the mail:
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrieveme ... a_id=28915

Once I had the permit, I took it to the gun store and was told that I'd have to pay for it at Westpac first (another trip to the bank for $9).

It took about 2-3 months to go from a Safety course to owning a firearm.

I'd recommend submitting the PTA form as soon as your licence arrives and is paid for. You'll need to know what sort of firearms you'd like to apply for. As far as I know, you'll need a permit for each firearm stamped by Westpac before you can walk out of the store with a firearm. You might save yourself a trip to the store if you get the PTA's sorted out first. Then again, if you're not sure what firearms you'd like to get then you might want to visit some stores first etc....
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

Unlike WA, I think you guys have the option to buy the firearm after you get the PTA dont you ? So you can change your mind, or pay for it and wait till your legally allowed to pick it up cant you ? WA being WA you have to have a specific gun with specific serial number to license.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by jennageit » 20 Jul 2014, 6:49 pm

The only problem now is, I have to wait! I have to wait for the next club meet, where I'll pay my membership there to start with, then put in my licence application and go from there.

It's all taking too long for me though, even though I don't have 2 cents to rub together yet lmao

I see that your licence lasts for 5 years, thought it was 3. Is that something that has recently changed or am I just having another Blond moment? lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by T_M » 20 Jul 2014, 7:36 pm

jennageit wrote:I see that your licence lasts for 5 years, thought it was 3. Is that something that has recently changed or am I just having another Blond moment? lol

I'm pretty sure it was 5 years in 2013 too for a Longarm Category A&B.
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

[quote="jennageit"]Thanks T_M

Also, if I was to go to a GS and pick our my rifle/s, I obviously have to fill out a PTA for each, but do I pay for the firearms then, put a deposit on it/them, or hope they have it in when my PTA/s come back?

Every state has differences in the PTA application forms and I've just had a brief look over the Vic. PTA and the form will allow you to apply for up to 3 firearms and I can't see where you have to nominate the seller or sellers licence number and serial No. is optional.
This suggests to me that you can purchase from or through any licensed dealer in Vic. My suggestion is don't buy or pay a deposit on the rifles that you select. The serial numbers are not required at the time of putting in the PTA.
When you have the PTA's approved go to your GS and "do a deal" on the rifles you have approval. Assuming, of course that you are after general sporting rifles and not a special order type firearm.Might save you a few bob.
Someone in Vic. maybe able to throw some light on this....
Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 21 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

RoginaJack wrote:
jennageit wrote:Thanks T_M

This suggests to me that you can purchase from or through any licensed dealer in Vic. My suggestion is don't buy or pay a deposit on the rifles that you select. The serial numbers are not required at the time of putting in the PTA.
When you have the PTA's approved go to your GS and "do a deal" on the rifles you have approval. Assuming, of course that you are after general sporting rifles and not a special order type firearm.Might save you a few bob.
Someone in Vic. maybe able to throw some light on this....
Cheers

Hi,

I've already decided which rifles I'm going to purchase, listed below:

Marlin XT 22 R - Blue Synthetic Sporter, and
Gamo Deltafox Polymer Thumbhole Stock (If I stick with buying an air rifle).

These two would be classed as General Sporting Rifles, wouldn't they?
Also, should I check with the GS that they have these two before going there? If I wanted to buy locally, can you ask them to get the rifles in for you if they don't normally stock them?

Thanks in advance

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm

Yes Jenna the Marlin is but not too sure about the Air Rifle - your local GS will be able to tell you if this is a normally stocked item. All you need is the description of the firearm to meet the PTA requirements.
I'm not sure how fast the wheels turn at the Vic. WLB but be patient - lots of it!
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by T_M » 21 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

Part 4 of the PTA has some useful info:

Category A longarms: Prior to applying for a Permit to Acquire you are required to identify the firearm Type and Calibre only.
With the exception of Category A firearms, you must show your genuine need/reason for the acquisition of a firearm.

Firearm Category: A
Firearm Type: RF
Calibre 1: 22RIMFIRE

Firearm Category: A
Firearm Type: AR
Calibre 1: 22AIR

If you know what you want then you can search for firearm info here and fill in the rest of the fields on the PTA:
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/weaponsid/ ... 642289RFBA
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/weaponsid/ ... 539628ARAR
T_M
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 21 Jul 2014, 9:33 pm

T_M you are a legend!

Thank you so much. I'd thought of contacting the GS prior to filling out the PTA to see if they stock both rifles, if I go ahead with both that is.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 22 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm

jennageit wrote:I see that your licence lasts for 5 years, thought it was 3. Is that something that has recently changed or am I just having another Blond moment? lol

T_M wrote:I'm pretty sure it was 5 years in 2013 too for a Longarm Category A&B.

I dunno if/when it changed. I have a few mates who got their A/B license within the last year though and they're for 5 years.

Whatever it was in the past, it's 5 now.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation