Laser bullets? is there such a thing?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Laser bullets? is there such a thing?

Post by jennageit » 20 Aug 2014, 2:19 pm

Hubby had a friend come over the other day and we got talking firearms.

He was telling me that I didn't need a scope, just some laser bullets, the sunglasses to go with them so that I could see the dot, and I'd be right.

Is there such a thing as laser bullets?

This guy already thinks I'm an idiot, so I wasn't about to ask him to explain further.

He's one of those that believes a womans' place is in the kitchen or the bedroom, so our conversation didn't last particularly long. If I'd hung around longer, I'd have smacked him, which, given my five year old was hanging around, it wasn't something that I wanted her to see. :lol:

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Laser bullets? is there such a thing?

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

You should have hung around and smacked him....!!!! End of his story then...!!!!

If you have Blonde Hair or not, he's treating you like a Blonde..... ;) ;)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 20 Aug 2014, 3:21 pm

Yup, I'm a blonde, and I should have smacked him, but I didn't really want to do that in front of CJ, plus I get the feeling he'd hit me back. Then it would just turn out really messy cos although he's stronger than I am, I have better reach, and probably a bit more practice throwing punches lol

Still, it would have been nice if he'd just explained the laser bullets thing to me.........
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 20 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

I think he smoked too many bongs while watching Star Trek before he came over.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 3:44 pm

BTW.....No such thing...!!!!

Hit him and get it over and done with.

If he knows anything about Firearms other than looking down the barrel of one that's loaded, he should be helping. Then again, sound like he's a fool anyway.

There is an expression... "went like a Laser Bullet" but that's more to do with highly accurate, expensive and very custom made target rifles and their hand loaded ammunition plus the skill of the shooter. That all come in time, one step at a time and lot's, lot's of practise.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 20 Aug 2014, 5:05 pm

Apollo you've been around right ???Don't you remember these from 30 years ago ??? LOL

http://youtu.be/2dwjfupCaCI
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 20 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

well,,, there is a guided bullet that uses vanes and lasers to get to its target but its still in the experimental stage, and its a big bullet,50 cal or thereabouts,, google is your friend ;) but your hubby's mate is a dick, :roll: oh and if the laser bullet turns out to be a scam, google is no longer my friend 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm

Westy wrote:Apollo you've been around right ???Don't you remember these from 30 years ago ??? LOL

http://youtu.be/2dwjfupCaCI

Somehow I don't think that's what he was talking about.

30 years ago, gee... I remember around then my wife insisted on having a go with the Full Choke 12g Shotgun all us guys were having fun with and shooting Full Solids.... all 4' 11 3/4" of her ended up on the ground, bum first. She didn't have a second shot.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 20 Aug 2014, 9:19 pm

Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm

^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 20 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm

Okay, Mr Dipshit came over this evening and explained it to me.

Apparently there is a bullet which you can put in the chamber as if to fire. It has a laser in it. You then line that laser up (after you've put your laser seeing sunglasses on that is) with the crosshairs in your scope. If you line the two up, then your scope is set correctly.

I don't know whether to believe him or not, but he got really pissy with me when I started giggling. It wasn't what he was saying, it was how he was saying it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he's got a black eye and I've got a killer bruise coming up on my knuckle. He's also been ordered off the property, and just to make sure he left, I let my dog out. You know, the dog who not only wouldn't bite you but is likely to ask you to have a seat and make you a cuppa?

So, he's gone and most likely for good.

The best part is, Miss CJ saw me hit him. she turns to me and said "Mum, he shouldn't talk to you that way, that wasn't nice, but I'm glad you smacked him". she's five!

I give up on the whole laser bullet idea. I'll buy my rifle, and i'll learn to shoot the damn thing straight. how does that sound?
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 20 Aug 2014, 11:59 pm

"1290" has already posted a photo of the Laser Sighter Bullet.... exactly as you have just mentioned.

That is for real....!!!!

How effective they are is debateable. I wouldn't waste the money on one as they are not required in my view. Last time I looked you could buy them on eBay.

It only takes one bullet hole on a target to set a scope to zero at any distance you have set up.

Easily found using Google.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 21 Aug 2014, 9:10 am

jennageit wrote:Okay, Mr Dipshit came over this evening and explained it to me.

Apparently there is a bullet which you can put in the chamber as if to fire. It has a laser in it. You then line that laser up (after you've put your laser seeing sunglasses on that is) with the crosshairs in your scope. If you line the two up, then your scope is set correctly.

TBH sounds like he saw a picture of one on the internet and started pitching it without knowing wtf he was talking about.

1290's picture is what the guy is referring. This is a laser bore sighter.

1) It's not a bullet.
2) There isn't a single 'correct' setting for a scope, it has to be zeroed for the range you're shooting at. e.g. If you're zeroed and shooting at 100m then switch to 200m the bullet will drop further and impact below the crosshairs of the scope, and you'd have to adjust the scope accordingly for the new distance.

Continuing point 2... When you put a scope on a rifle to start, you could be anywhere from a couple of inches to a foot or more off target. A bore sighter is an aid in getting your scope zeroed for the first time.

Your explanation of using is it basically right except for one thing. The laser obviously goes in a straight line while the bullet arcs. If your rifle was pointed at a target at 50m and 500m the laser will hit the same point on the targets at both ranges, at 500m a bullet will have dropped by a metre (for example).

Lining up the laser and your crosshairs gets you on paper, then you need to do a few clicks of elevation to match the crosshair to the actual bullet point of impact.

jennageit wrote:I give up on the whole laser bullet idea. I'll buy my rifle, and i'll learn to shoot the damn thing straight. how does that sound?

I'd give it a miss. You only need to sight in once and can easily do it without spending money on one of these.

:)
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Klem » 21 Aug 2014, 9:13 am

jennageit wrote:Apparently there is a bullet which you can put in the chamber as if to fire.

Just FYI for future conversations and terminology...

A "bullet" the projectile only.

A "cartridge" is the assembled bullet and filled brass casing which you chamber in your rifle :)
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 21 Aug 2014, 1:25 pm

thanks for the explanations guys, it's pretty obvious I'm very much a newbie, isn't it? lol

I'm heading back to the range for more instruction next Wednesday night, and I wont be mentioning anything about lasers. I thought it would be safer asking here, and without half the embarrassment too

In saying that, I can't believe how much I don't know about shooting, firearms and the rest of it. Still, I'm willing to listen and learn, so that's got to be a good thing
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 21 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

It's all good. You've gotta start somewhere.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm

I couldn't believe it took you blokes that long to cotton on to what she was talking about. > Laser Sighting Aid

Never used one myself, but they used to have ads plastered all through the shooting mags.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Norton » 22 Aug 2014, 10:16 am

Says you who got here at the end of the topic once everything was covered :P
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation