Some Anti gunners having a shot for the first time [ VIDEO ]

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Some Anti gunners having a shot for the first time [ VIDEO ]

Post by MeccaOz » 22 Aug 2014, 10:56 pm

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Some Anti gunners having a shot for the first time [ VID

Post by Morro » 22 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm

Nice post
I think the vid speaks louder than any of our words lol
: )
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 23 Aug 2014, 7:56 am

Did you shoot that Oz?????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Aug 2014, 11:44 am

Westy wrote:Did you shoot that Oz?????

Nah mate, found it last night, thought it was "Enough Gun" Worthy :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 23 Aug 2014, 11:57 am

Basically these 'liberals' which is a word that has a meaning that was lost on the translation from revolutionaries who wanted freedoms many years ago....

Are that confused that they dont really understand why they hate guns other than because they have 'learnt' that guns must be 'bad' because they dont have the capacity to dissociate criminal from lawful use ....

but when using them discover.... (just quietly) its a whole heapen helpin lot of FUN!
So confused :?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headwerkn » 24 Aug 2014, 11:06 am

Saw this yesterday on FB... hardly surprising they 'liked it'.... hardly surprising too that they then felt 'wrong' for liking it, because it was against everything they'd been indoctrinated with. That's the mentality we're up against.

I do take issue as to why they - and indeed all those 'my wife/girlfriend shooting for the first time' type videos on YouTube - always seem start newcomers out on something other than 22LR? Yes, watching skinny girls land on their arse the moment they shoot a 12ga or 30cal is amusing, but it doesn't do any good in terms of helping them enjoy the sport and perhaps get into it seriously themselves.

My better half, being a country girl, has shot guns and been around them for longer than myself, but years ago was given a 12ga (by her ex) to shoot for the first time, with no instruction on how to hold it, and at a flying clay no less... no surprises how that ended up.... smashed her shoulder blade, landed her on her back, basically hurt her quite badly. It took a lot of convincing and time with a .410 to get her to fire a 12ga again. Now she comfortably fires at clays without issue. Eventually we'll get her onto the 300WM ;-)

Whenever a newbie wants a shot, I always grab a single shot .22LR and a pack of either 22LongZs or CCI Quiets. The rifle is light, unintimidating, very safe and obvious in its operation (has to be manually cocked) and iron sights are easier to use at 25-30m.... the ammo has no noticeable recoil and very little noise.... basically it doesn't scare people, the bang doesn't shock them and it therefore gives them half a chance of hitting the tin can or balloon. And as we all know, if you can get them to hit the target a few times, the seed is sown ;-)
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Westy » 24 Aug 2014, 12:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And you can thank a school teacher for this misconception in our society today!!!!!!

Think about this the school teacher is bought up going to pre school next is primary school then high school and then off to University to become a school teacher. At which point they graduate with all their high fluting ideas taught to them by some self important Bogan who's never done a hard days work in their life and you guessed it they head straight back to school to spread the word that Guns are evil ,hunting is bad and having fun is to be policed and most importantly Sir/Miss is always right !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: They have a lot to answer for in my opinion. :evil: :shock: :twisted:

And Worst of all I'm married to 1!!!Yes dear I getting off the internet now Dear!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headwerkn » 25 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm

My better half is also a teacher.... and earlier today she shot her first feral cat. The only problem is she used the Lithgow CrossOver before I had a chance to take its first kill. Bitch.... ;-)

Needless to say, the kindergarten students of our area won't be indoctrinated with whiney Greenie BS from her.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Warrigul » 25 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm

headwerkn wrote:
My better half, being a country girl, has shot guns and been around them for longer than myself, but years ago was given a 12ga (by her ex) to shoot for the first time, with no instruction on how to hold it, and at a flying clay no less... no surprises how that ended up.... smashed her shoulder blade, landed her on her back, basically hurt her quite badly.

Well yes it will bruise and hurt, I have a single and have been kicked by it before when shooting at an angle, but it is not possible for a 12ga single to break a collarbone(let alone smash it) unless the user has brittle bones, the laws of the universe are such that it is not possible for a 12ga cartridge to throw someone on the ground(unless they collapse in a ball of hysterics).

There is a lot of misconception going around about firearms and this is one of the worst.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headwerkn » 25 Aug 2014, 9:11 pm

'Smash' as a euphemism - not literally. Obviously it didn't shatter her shoulder blade or physically throw her onto the ground, but it did bang into the bone (previously broken years before in a horseriding accident) hard, shock her off her balance, land her on her arse and aggravate a pre-existing back injury to boot. Hurt her quite bad both physically and of course psychologically, in terms of picking one up and trying again. When I first handed her my Sportco Model 55 (pretty basic single shot) she was genuinely scared to fire it.

Of course it is the sort of thing you see in all those YouTube videos.... not only are the ladies not shouldering the firearm correctly but they're obviously a bit intimidated/scared, not even holding onto the firearm with a firm grip and seemingly not prepared for the big bang.... and that's how guns go flying out of people's hands, or up into their faces.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Wheelbarrow » 25 Aug 2014, 9:19 pm

The brunette Allison isn't anti-gun at all.

She was keen as mustard before shooting, obviously have a great time during :lol:
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 26 Aug 2014, 9:57 am

headwerkn wrote:'Smash' as a euphemism - not literally. Obviously it didn't shatter her shoulder blade or physically throw her onto the ground, but it did bang into the bone (previously broken years before in a horseriding accident) hard, shock her off her balance, land her on her arse and aggravate a pre-existing back injury to boot. Hurt her quite bad both physically and of course psychologically, in terms of picking one up and trying again. When I first handed her my Sportco Model 55 (pretty basic single shot) she was genuinely scared to fire it.

Of course it is the sort of thing you see in all those YouTube videos.... not only are the ladies not shouldering the firearm correctly but they're obviously a bit intimidated/scared, not even holding onto the firearm with a firm grip and seemingly not prepared for the big bang.... and that's how guns go flying out of people's hands, or up into their faces.

To sum up: she collapsed hysterically when the gun went off and subsequently hurt her back, I shoot clays against a previously broken shoulderblader and it is no issue, the rest of the body moves well before the bones do. If it hadn't been badly handled and she were of stouter constitution it wouldn't have been an issue.

I have shown many complete novices how to use a shotgun and have never used harsher words than "this will be a very solid push, but hold it tight against your shoulder and you will be fine" no one has had an issue.

The worst sort of person to teach is someone who has already been wound up by people on the sideline and is already terrified.

On a side note about the video, no matter how much you emphasise DO NOT TURN AROUND WITH THE GUN, as in this video, there is always one or two that end up trying, I never stray further than hands reach from a novice , especially with a pistol. Most people who try it become licenced shooters.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by hootshoot » 26 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm

Wheelbarrow wrote:The brunette Allison isn't anti-gun at all.

She was keen as mustard before shooting, obviously have a great time during :lol:

I was going to say the same thing.

Bet she finished the video just to save face then went straight to the gun shop :D
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation