Plenty of second hand Tikkas

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Plenty of second hand Tikkas

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Im following a few buy swap sell pages on Facebook that specialize in hunting gear and second hand guns. Not wanting to start a brand war but nearly half the rifles being sold are T3 Tikkas. Surely if they were as good as everyone says you would sell the missus before that. Just wanting to know if they aren't so s**t hot as I'm planning to buy one down the track.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Plenty of second hand Tikkas

Post by handofcod » 07 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm

I recently sold my tikka hunter..... to buy another tikka hunter!

They are accurate, smooth cycling and are good enough quality for my usage. If you are looking for more then pay for more. I'm not exclusive to the brand by any means but for what they are, I think they are excellent. Plus as a left hander they really fill a much needed niche with a nearly complete range for left and right handed shooters. Most brands couldn't give a toss about LH shooters, offering extremely reduced range of options and calibres.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 07 Sep 2014, 4:59 pm

I'm a fan !!! Maybe so many are for sale as so many get sold from new??? Just a thought
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blu333 » 07 Sep 2014, 7:02 pm

I've got one and I love it. Don't think I'd ever put it up for sale. Great rifle for the money!
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Sep 2014, 7:07 pm

Yeah that's what I thought Blu33 times are pretty tough in central QLD with the price of coal being down so I guess that helps. But I couldn't imagine getting rid of my .270 though would sell my TV and ps3 before that.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 08 Sep 2014, 10:29 am

No complaints with mine.

Tikka 7mm-08 range report and handload data.

Factory rifle, no mods, hand loads.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 08 Sep 2014, 10:30 am

Or mine.

300 win mag and it was a great shooter out of the box.

I've also used a few mates in .308, 7mm etc. and they shot just as well.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by remnt » 08 Sep 2014, 11:09 am

Westy wrote:I'm a fan !!! Maybe so many are for sale as so many get sold from new??? Just a thought

I wonder if you can get those figures from someone?

The importers would know obviously.. Wonder if they publish in reports or anything.

It would be interesting to know the % of the market sold for each brand.
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Xerox » 08 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

Sounds like a project for you, remnt.

Let us know the results :P :lol:
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by zook60 » 08 Sep 2014, 7:58 pm

From memory Tikka was the highest selling rifle 3 years running and were set to double that this year. I have heard that they sell more than all other brand rifles combined don't know how true that is tho.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 08 Sep 2014, 8:05 pm

Been going back through posts and not finding any answers. Most are common calibres like .233 and .308 so you can't even use the excuse of finding ammo being a pain.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 09 Sep 2014, 9:09 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Most are common calibres like .233 and .308 so you can't even use the excuse of finding ammo being a pain.

My guess would be people buying unsuitable calibres.

(As you've read 100x) when people are asking advice for their first rifle .223 or .308 is always suggested.

.223 turns out to be not enough for hunters, .308 is too much recoil for people just wanting an easy shooting rifle, things along those lines.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 09 Sep 2014, 9:11 am

Lots of Tikka owners, lots of people upgrading or changing calibres, there will be lots of second hand rifles.

Doesn't have to mean there is anything wrong with them.

Glass half full ;)
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 09 Sep 2014, 10:29 am

well, my pov is that the forums hype the proverbial out of the Tikki ( and Sarko ), then when the punters shell out for these, no doubt well finsihed rifles.... they are thoroughly underwhelmed once they get it out and start using it.. Gee, it seems to do the same thing my old rifle did!!.

It may follow that they sell them on.....

Compare with the Savage Stevens 200, was available with chamberings from 223 through to 300Winmag.... they may not have had the nicely polished walnut stock and deeply polished blued barrel.... but they are a savage 110/10 platform with all Savage bit available to fit....etc....
Just try to find one on the used market.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm

1290 wrote:well, my pov is that the forums hype the proverbial out of the Tikki

There is some truth to that, no doubt. I will say for the record though that I'm no Tikka fanboy and objectively speaking...

The Forest stock is very comfortable.
The fluted hunter action/barrel is a reasonably light weight and my rifle is very accurate.

I've used all the mainstream brands and I came to get the Forest/Hunter Tikka because it was the best fit for me, shot well, and was reasonably priced (if not significantly better than some of the alternatives).

There's is nothing OMG AMAZING! about them, but they're a fine rifle for a reasonable price. If that's what you're looking for I'd say you'd be satisfied with a Tikka. Maybe not over, but certainly not underwhelmed by one.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2014, 9:39 pm

Westy might have one up for sale soon if he can't get it sorted! :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Westy wrote:I'm a fan !!! Maybe so many are for sale as so many get sold from new??? Just a thought

Are you still a fan? :lol: :lol: :lol: brand new out of the box Tikka that doesn't work - oh well. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Are you still a fan? :lol: :lol: :lol: brand new out of the box Tikka that doesn't work - oh well. :D

I would be fairly tikked off with that.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Sep 2014, 9:51 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Yer mate it could be worse it could be a Savage and I know that it could never be fixed!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Still loving the Tikka had a 6.5x55 that wouldn't shoot under 3" Moa at 100 so Tikka did the right thing and re badged it with a Remington sticker!!!LOL
Serious they replaced it with a nicer rifle than the one they sold me and it now shoots .5" MOA :P :P :P
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Yer mate it could be worse it could be a Savage and I know that it could never be fixed!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Still loving the Tikka had a 6.5x55 that wouldn't shoot under 3" Moa at 100 so Tikka did the right thing and re badged it with a Remington sticker!!!LOL
Serious they replaced it with a nicer rifle than the one they sold me and it now shoots .5" MOA :P :P :P

:lol: you'll be right mate, they will sort it out no worries at all I'm sure, they do get a little upset about handloads in em from what I hear but if its doing it with factory ammo as well I can't see them knocking it back.

Let us know how it turns out.
Last edited by bigfellascott on 10 Sep 2014, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

Not Worried in the least but Thanx Mate for your interest will keep you all posted!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Vati » 11 Sep 2014, 4:01 pm

Yeah bugger about the new one :(

Fingers crossed doesn't take long to sort.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 11 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

Issue all sorted!!!!Was a issue with the bolt face and it was replaced no Questions asked!!!Took it to the range on the way home as my wife wants it for our trip this weekend. Was on target after 3 shots and then shot a 5 shot group 3/4 MOA at 100 M with Winchester Varmint 55grn factory ammo. I'm still a huge fan
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

Westy wrote:Not Worried in the least but Thanx Mate for your interest will keep you all posted!!!!!

I wouldn't be mentioning the fact it was reloads you were using - they may tell you to jam it somewhere else! :D I think there warranty only covers the use of factory ammo (pretty sure that's standard with a lot of firearms manufacturers).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

Westy wrote:Issue all sorted!!!!Was a issue with the bolt face and it was replaced no Questions asked!!!Took it to the range on the way home as my wife wants it for our trip this weekend. Was on target after 3 shots and then shot a 5 shot group 3/4 MOA at 100 M with Winchester Varmint 55grn factory ammo. I'm still a huge fan

Great news mate - enjoy!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by remnt » 11 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

Cool :)

Good to hear it was an easy fix.

Suck so hard when you get something new and it's buggered and takes ages to sort out. Ruins the whole thing.

Good shooting!
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation