Some info for newbies, now I have answers!

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Some info for newbies, now I have answers!

Post by jennageit » 22 Sep 2014, 12:23 pm

Hi Guys,
You may remember me asking some questions on here about licensing etc.

My license application was only received by them on the 15th September, and is yet to be processed (I expected as much but at least now I know that they've received it this time).

I found the phone number for LRD, rang and asked the following questions.

Q. Do I need to put my TRV membership on my firearms license application?
A. Yes, as it will need to be amended to show that my reason includes being a sporting shooter, as well as for hunting, and to please email a copy of membership card to LRD.

Q. What is the minimum acreage for hunting on a private property in Victoria?
A. 5 acres.

Q. Does my 15 year old require a Junior License to shoot at the local GC?
A. No, but must be supervised by a licensed member. Continued shooting will require a license, and possibly club membership, depending on the club.

Q. Does my safe have to sit flush with the wall, or can I use spacers?
A. The safe is best sitting flush with the wall, however it can be secured properly, using spacers or similar, and isn't in an easily accessible area. (When I explained that it would be in a bedroom, I was told that spacers were fine).

No doubt I will have more questions for them in the coming weeks, so I'll add both questions and answers to this thread.

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Some info for newbies, now I have answers!

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

Good on ya Jenna, never thought to do this myself, but should help alot out :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by whert » 23 Sep 2014, 11:35 am

jennageit wrote:Q. What is the minimum acreage for hunting on a private property in Victoria?
A. 5 acres.

That's helpful.

I never new what the minimum was.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by south » 23 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

This kinds of straight forward Q&A answers are great for newbies (me) :lol:

Maybe mods can compile some stuff in one place?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wes » 23 Sep 2014, 11:57 am

I think that would pretty much be the whole forum itself :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 23 Sep 2014, 11:58 am

There is always the search function.

Top of all pages and on the side of home page also.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 23 Sep 2014, 12:00 pm

Yes, I'd say use the search.

Most information should be readily available using this anyway. TBH compiling the same information again in another location isn't the best use of time.

Failing search, obviously just ask a question and someone will have the answer. That's what the shooting forum is for after all.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by 1290 » 23 Sep 2014, 2:38 pm

jennageit wrote:Q. What is the minimum acreage for hunting on a private property in Victoria?
A. 5 acres.

Absolutely incorrect.
If the police told you this then get them to put it in writing and email me a copy....
Its one of the urban myths; on my 100 plus acre property I can't shot.

The other thing that gives it away is that we havent used acres here in the legal sense, for almost 50 years....therefore you wont find this in the act or regs....

jennageit wrote:Q. Does my 15 year old require a Junior License to shoot at the local GC?
A. No, but must be supervised by a licensed member. Continued shooting will require a license, and possibly club membership, depending on the club.

Junior must be in the immediate supervision, meaning shoulder to shoulder, not in the club house occasionally glancing from the window.... and if the supervisor is not the parent they need to carry the guardians consent....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by veep » 23 Sep 2014, 2:50 pm

1290 wrote:Junior must be in the immediate supervision, meaning shoulder to shoulder, not in the club house occasionally glancing from the window.... and if the supervisor is not the parent they need to carry the guardians consent....

On that note. VICPol website says this on it.

Victoria Police recommends that licence holders supervising juniors should be within 1 metre of the junior and paying close attention to them in all instances where they possession and/or use of a firearm.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 23 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

Q. How long do you have to pay for your license when it comes back?
A. 28 days. If it isn't paid in that time, you get a reminder. If it's not paid then (not sure how long the reminder lasts) you have to do it all again.
Regarding the acreage, I asked what the minimum was, was told that it was 5 acres. I was asked how many acres I'm on. I replied 7acres, and told "that's fine ". Correct or not, this is what I was told, but I will ask for email confirmation as well. When that comes through, i will post it here.
Regarding Juniors, all I was told was supervision by a licensed shooter, but no more was said other than attending a range.
Jenna

I've just emailed them with a few more questions, especially clarification on property size, so when I hear back, I'll post the reply here.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Sep 2014, 9:40 pm

5 acres does sound small. However ssaavic page says 5 acres is ok. See bottom of the page. http://ssaavic.com.au/index.php/faqs you would imagine they would get something like that right.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by veep » 24 Sep 2014, 9:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:5 acres does sound small.

I dunno... With an appropriate backstop I don't see the harm?

Stay a few hundred metres from the road, only shooting in a sensible direction with an appropriate backstop. All the common sense stuff we already know.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jessie » 24 Sep 2014, 9:56 am

Or bird/fox shooting with a shotty for limited range.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 24 Sep 2014, 10:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:5 acres does sound small. However ssaavic page says 5 acres is ok. See bottom of the page. http://ssaavic.com.au/index.php/faqs you would imagine they would get something like that right.

That figure of 5 Acres (or 2 Hectares) is not mentioned in any firearm law... its an arbitrary number and the SSA refers to 'demonstrating the genuine reason', not actually hunting, yes its a technicality so I guess if youre shooting on your 5 Acres and receive a visit by the boys in black.... the SSAA could say that they didnt actually say you could shoot on the property...

Every property is different. 5 Acres in Werribee, on the edge of a 5000 lot development, is a lot different to 5 Acres on the unsealed government road 30km out from Horsham. When it comes to shooting on your property, you need to use your discretion, it only takes one phone call from your favourite neighbour for the police to decide for you!!

Can you set up a target? There are clear provisions in the law that require 250m from a neighbours dwelling(unless the neighbour agrees otherwise), 100m from a road, therefore assuming there is a dwelling on one side of you, say 50m from the fence, a road at the front; then for a 100m range you'll need at least (50+200) x (100+100+20) = 5.5Ha (13.75Acres).

you'll need a proper backstop too....
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/fr2008211/s22.html
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 25 Sep 2014, 2:23 pm

I received an email reply to a few questions from LRD.

Below is a copy of the email, but I've removed the header as it isn't necessary to include it. Should anyone wish to see the original email I sent asking these questions, please pm me.

Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Hello Jennifer

Thankyou for your email

The minimum size of the property you can hunt on is 2 hectares or 5 acres

If you fail to pay for your licence the first time you can request a second payment notice via a written request and that payment must be made before the expiry of that request.A third request would not be considered.

If you fail to pay after the second request an you still want a firearms licence you will have to lodge a new application form and wait the 28 day period.

When you purchase a firearm through a dealer , the dealer will forward all the information to LRD for processing . A certificate of registration of firearm will be issued to you.

There is no limit to the amount of ammunition you can purchase at any time.

Should you have any further enquiries in relation to your e-mail, please direct them to licensingregulation@police.vic.gov.au

For further information regarding Firearm Licensing, please refer to our web site http://www.police.vic.gov.au then select 'Our Services' and then 'Firearms' or telephone 1300 651 645, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Yours sincerely

Licensing & Regulation Division
Email: licensingregulation@police.vic.gov.au
Telephone: 1300 651 645
Postal: GPO Box 2807
Melbourne VIC 3001

If I ask further questions (no doubt it will happen), I'll post the replies (if relevant) in this thread.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by veep » 25 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

There you go. In writing from the fuzz themself :)
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 25 Sep 2014, 5:12 pm

I'm sticking to my 5 Acres out in whoop whoop position.....

There should be an asterisk and conditions stated; I firmly believe that is misleading, but I will make my own enquiries and post the response.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by schink » 26 Sep 2014, 10:29 am

Maybe's it's changed but not made it's way to the published firearms acts yet?

Mmm.
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 26 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

No, hasnt changed.... there are many thing conveniently left OUT of the legislation to allow the police freedom of interpretation and discretion, like WHERE you can shoot, WHERE you can carry and the big one.... HOW MANY guns and of WHAT TYPE AND CHAMBERING you can own.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by schink » 27 Sep 2014, 8:10 am

The 'how many' bit...

I know they're SOBs with it in WA but does that happen here in VIC?

Anyone been knocked back for having 'too many' 30 cals?
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 27 Sep 2014, 9:46 am

schink wrote:The 'how many' bit...

I know they're SOBs with it in WA but does that happen here in VIC?

Anyone been knocked back for having 'too many' 30 cals?

I'm quite sure they have a clear policy... (that will never be public) that says something along the lines of demonstrating a 'need' for multiples of the same chambering.. but I havent been queried for seconds in a couple of chamberings....so far. I think spare/second/third rifles in same same is accepted for target shooting, hunting etc where barrel/rifle swap is necessary ;) at times...

Only a few years back I wanted to import three or four (unissued)moist nuggets, (because they were $79!) but a phone call to our enforcers came with a response querying whether I was starting a militia(yep, they said that)....and that a permit would likely not be issued so I didnt bother.

The only clear legislated requirement is an alarm when a premises contains more than 15 firearms.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 28 Sep 2014, 4:29 pm

A militia of 3 :lol:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation