Why so many "new" used guns?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Why so many "new" used guns?

Post by rummer » 01 Oct 2014, 10:59 am

I check out the different used guns sites pretty often, seems there are always heaps of guns for sale that are basically new.

People saying only 50 shots fired and this kind of thing. Why so many new ones?

Do you reckon people are just lying about the number of shots fired to keep the price up?

Or why so many get sold right after they're bought?
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Why so many "new" used guns?

Post by cavok » 01 Oct 2014, 12:05 pm

Looking at Glock (lots for sale) and Beretta in 9mm semi's I well understand why. A person buys a new model, pays top price, have no idea what style of pistol shooting they want to get involved in and then find their nice new shinny Glock will not hit the side of a barn at 20 paces, this also applies to Beretta and H&K.

In the .177 and .32 I assume its because the shooter could only on first getting their licence buy one of each, they then found there was no fun in shooting such small calibres, fond .357and 38 super and then other higher calibres and better shooting in Service Match and others and just want to get rid of their toy calibres and opted for a real pistol, a decent style of shooting, YES to .45.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 01 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm

I do think the number of shots they claim may to low, there was one ad a while back that had only had 2 boxes through is but came with a few hundred once fired cases??

It doesn't really matter how many shots it's had through it, if it's had any dodgey hand loads it may be damaged with only a few shots through it. I've seen people clean rifles at the range from the muzzle, he couldn't get the bolt out. There is always risks buying used guns, but you can buy few ones that have faults. You should always buy only when you've seen it with your eyes and held it in your hands. Do your research.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

The above being said,,,,, there are exceptions as well as bargains to be had for some very genuine reasons.

1. There are a lot of people (mostly newbies) that buy without ever trying a particular caliber, and suddenly realize that Sh*t,,, it kicks. Then turn around and sell it flat out like a lizard drinking.
  2. I've known people that buy on looks, and never even throw it up to the shoulder, and then sell cos they don't like the fit or feel.
  3. I bought a Remington 5 years ago (from the dealer that originally sold it) and it only had ( 6 ) rounds through it.

The reason was that the client paid for it,, then asked the dealer to scope and sight it in for him.The dealer said he took it to the range, and had only fired the six shots, when the client rang him and said that he had just been transferred to an overseas position,,,, and asked if the dealer would sell it for him. The client never even got to fire it himself.

When I got it, it was in absolute pristine condition, and the money I saved on the new price was nearly enough to buy another rifle.
100_3182.JPG
100_3182.JPG (630.13 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Last edited by Die Judicii on 02 Oct 2014, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bennybigbores » 01 Oct 2014, 7:53 pm

Yep there's no doubt lies and cheats and then genuine deals hard to tell over the Internet, I've sold some rifles in the past that had legitimate low mileage, simply found another calibre or platform I wanted more. Tend to loose a lot of money in my haste, but as of late always research over the top before I upgrade or buy new, leaving the liers a better chance at a sale.
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 02 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

I know a few guys who bought to get into hunting. Got their license, safe, rifle etc... Then it wasn't their thing or they didn't have the time.

Not saying they're all legit but certainly there will be ones up there that genuinely have only fired 40-50 shots.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Grated » 02 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Kids come in = wife cracks the s**ts

Wife cracks the s**ts = guns go out :lol:
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Ken » 02 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

yoshie wrote:there was one ad a while back that had only had 2 boxes through is but came with a few hundred once fired cases?

Sounds legit :lol:
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 02 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

I know a few who bought .223 or something similar "because you should start with a small calibre" then it wasn't enough for hunting game so they upgraded soon after.

There are legit reasons out there.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

Nice find Die Judicii.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rummer » 02 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

All making sense, thanks guys.
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 03 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

AusC wrote:I know a few who bought .223 or something similar "because you should start with a small calibre" then it wasn't enough for hunting game so they upgraded soon after.

I more or less did that with my .243.

I can't actually remember now, but I think it had 250-300 rounds through it before I sold it and was in top condition all round.

Bargain for the guy that got it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation