Confessions Of A Tactical Noob

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Confessions Of A Tactical Noob

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2014, 3:40 pm

I came across this article today:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... ical-noob/

And I love it. I know that most people like to hang s**t on the tacticool crowd and I'll be the first to admit that you don't NEED a rifle decked out with rails and an overpowered FFP mil-dot scope to shoot off a bench at 100 yards but who cares if we need it, if it makes the whole experience fun and it's what you wanna spend your money on go for it
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Confessions Of A Tactical Noob

Post by Chronos » 04 Oct 2014, 4:30 pm

Lol. That's an interesting read.

Personally I love the look of a rifle built with a purpose in mind.

A blued hunting gun with nice timber in a shape suited to shooting offhand

A stainless barreled single shot action in a laminated stock shaped to ride bags or on a bipod with a large high powered scope

A stainless synthetic all weather gun that doesn't care if it gets knocked around in the ute or bush

The tactical style gun has its place, short barrels, heavy aluminium chassis stocks, tactical bolt knobs, massive turrets on heavy mil ranging reticule scopes, multiple pic rails, foregrips and flash hiders may suits if the style of shooting you're doing is busting doors and clearing rooms but doesn't necessarily translate to being a good carry hunting gun but really people are welcome to buy and use whatever they want.

I'd prefer new shooters to choose a suitable gun and cartridge that will allow them to learn as much as possible about the fundamentals of shooting rather than get wrapped up in the 300wm, aluminium chassis, FFP club shooting a 36" steel plate at 400y but that's their decision and no skin off my nose. Apart that they should be trying to hit a 2" plate at those ranges if they want to prove something.

I've got mates with APRS, DTA, TRG, SSG and blazer riffles but to be honest I'd rather shoot my Tikka hunter stainless fluted with its Leupold 3-9x40 than any of those.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 04 Oct 2014, 4:31 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I came across this article today:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... ical-noob/

And I love it. I know that most people like to hang s**t on the tacticool crowd and I'll be the first to admit that you don't NEED a rifle decked out with rails and an overpowered FFP mil-dot scope to shoot off a bench at 100 yards but who cares if we need it, if it makes the whole experience fun and it's what you wanna spend your money on go for it

I never give advice, however, from reading your post and your download tactical.
With your pistol shooting ambitions you need only shoot IPSC and half your wish will come true, we shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. Back in the old days we used the AR15 and Remington shotgun, with magazine semi auto, we now have all our pistols, but are restricted to pump action .233 and then other calibre's, shotguns are still fun and its all about running, tactical, pistols even more adventurous, and some of the nicest people in the world do this. In IPSC you will find people from various occupations, and then some, I've shot with the people from someplace near Perth, can't remember where, lol. Some of the IPSC shooters even visit foreign countries, but not as tourists, can't recall what they do though, some strange places and deserts they visit, don't know why.
See you on the range, never know whom you may meet.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm

cavok wrote:With your pistol shooting ambitions you need only shoot IPSC and half your wish will come true, we shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. Back in the old days we used the AR15 and Remington shotgun, with magazine semi auto, we now have all our pistols, but are restricted to pump action .233 and then other calibre's, shotguns are still fun and its all about running, tactical, pistols even more adventurous, and some of the nicest people in the world do this.

Can you shoot IPSC rifle in NSW? I thought FAR didn't recognise it as a real match?
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 04 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
cavok wrote:With your pistol shooting ambitions you need only shoot IPSC and half your wish will come true, we shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. Back in the old days we used the AR15 and Remington shotgun, with magazine semi auto, we now have all our pistols, but are restricted to pump action .233 and then other calibre's, shotguns are still fun and its all about running, tactical, pistols even more adventurous, and some of the nicest people in the world do this.

Can you shoot IPSC rifle in NSW? I thought FAR didn't recognise it as a real match?

no, the closest you'll get in NSW is single action shooting, like tactical shooting from the 1850's LOL

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2014, 5:28 pm

Chronos wrote:No, the closest you'll get in NSW is single action shooting, like tactical shooting from the 1850's LOL

Dammit, that might have been enough to push me over the edge to buying a 7615 :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 04 Oct 2014, 5:46 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:

You could always migrate down to sunny Victoria, a big rifle & shotgun event being held here shortly. NT is also very good for this type of match. If all else fails, shoot IPSC pistol, and wait for the rest, it's still fun with some of our stages. However the pistol club you belong to MUST be affiliated to IPSC, you then need to pay the yearly fee, and all is sweet. Blacktown and several other clubs in NSW run fantastic matches, nice people.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

cavok wrote:You could always migrate down to sunny Victoria, a big rifle & shotgun event being held here shortly. NT is also very good for this type of match. If all else fails, shoot IPSC pistol, and wait for the rest, it's still fun with some of our stages. However the pistol club you belong to MUST be affiliated to IPSC, you then need to pay the yearly fee, and all is sweet. Blacktown and several other clubs in NSW run fantastic matches, nice people.

:lol: I don't think I could convince the boss to migrate at this stage. I've been out at the club while our IPSC delegate was practicing and he ran me through some stages. It was very fun, got me keen to start :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 06 Oct 2014, 1:40 pm

Chronos wrote:Personally I love the look of a rifle built with a purpose in mind.

For the purpose of "looking cool", just add 4 picatinny rails.

Done.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Ariat » 06 Oct 2014, 1:49 pm

Let’s face it - we’ll never, ever need to stack up and hit a room with a tactical team. And you know what - that’s ok.

He just crushed so many dreams there :lol:
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 06 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Just for the record, whoever those freaking idiots are who continue to buy 22LR at $75 a brick

Welcome to Australia!

:lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 06 Oct 2014, 3:11 pm

I dunno why you're laughing about it, Hatter :P

We're getting %^&*$# on ammo prices :(
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 06 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm

Wes wrote:I dunno why you're laughing about it, Hatter :P

We're getting %^&*$# on ammo prices :(

Whilst I was away I dropped into a remote dealer and asked if he had any cheap .22LR

He had 20 bricks of highland Target marked at 35.00 a brick I negotiated a bulk buy for 25.00 per brick seeing as it had sat there for years and no one had ever bought a pack of fifty.

Cheap pistol ammo at $2.50 per 50 shots, i've used it before and my 22/45 shoots well with it. I often go through half a brick or more in a session so price is a huge factor for me.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Oct 2014, 5:27 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I know that most people like to hang s**t on the tacticool crowd and I'll be the first to admit that you don't NEED a rifle decked out with rails and an overpowered FFP mil-dot scope to shoot off a bench at 100 yards but who cares if we need it, if it makes the whole experience fun and it's what you wanna spend your money on go for it

Those who hang sh*t on the tactical crowd probably prefer the old fashioned stuff. :D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 06 Oct 2014, 10:01 pm

Wes wrote:I dunno why you're laughing about it, Hatter :P

All you can do it laugh or cry, right?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 06 Oct 2014, 10:04 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Those who hang sh*t on the tactical crowd probably prefer the old fashioned stuff. :D

What, you mean not wasting money? :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

Gregg wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:Those who hang sh*t on the tactical crowd probably prefer the old fashioned stuff. :D

What, you mean not wasting money? :lol:

Why not both?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.29 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 07 Oct 2014, 10:20 am

Oh you've just made some enemies there, Wombat :P

Noisydad is not going to be impressed.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Oct 2014, 10:40 am

Hey don't shoot the messenger here haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cavok » 07 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

You can make a rifle look as cool as you like, however it's only as cool or great as the person shooting it. Cool also would not include .22LR, need more umpf for that, and a bigger bang.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 08 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm

It's gotta say "magnum" on the end to tick the cool box, right ;)
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation