A shooter nearby

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

A shooter nearby

Post by Lorgar » 07 Nov 2014, 7:37 am

It's taken them a few years but I finally got the call from my local station about coming out and doing a safe inspection, so that's tomorrow.

When booking the time I said to the guy I work blah blah blah, what's your schedule?

He tells me he's doing another one in my street on the day so we'll do it then.

I thought cool, another shooting in my street, might have a potential hunting or shooting buddy close at hand.

Now the problem is how to find him without looking like a gun seeking criminal :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: A shooter nearby

Post by North East » 07 Nov 2014, 7:47 am

Have a look up and down the street when the police are due to come to you. If you see a police car parked outside someones house it shouldn't be hard to work out.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 07 Nov 2014, 8:17 am

North East wrote:Have a look up and down the street when the police are due to come to you. If you see a police car parked outside someones house it shouldn't be hard to work out.

yeh, then go knock on the door and open with "do you have GUNS!?"..... not.

But the line of "we're doing another in the area" is equivalent to the "we were in the area"..... or in other words THATS when we will inspect. Schedule it to a convenient time for YOU not for them, the inspection in unnecessary, you know it..... yes, the old "we're just following orders, but for goodness sake, they'll do more to fight crime and keep the peace by inspecting the UNlicensed firearm owners.....

To top it off, if there's a loose 22 round on the bench, or the safe is not sufficiently fixed to the wall..... or for some reason you or someone gets pinged - it all add to the numbers for firearm offences that are reported, along with armed robberies etc...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 07 Nov 2014, 8:55 am

He seemed like he would have been flexible with the times, as it happened the first time he suggested worked for me anyway so there was no need to change it.

About getting pinged for something... My safe is over 150kg so no issue over not being secured properly. Regardless of that it's bolted in as well. Ammo stored in Cat G compartment. House is alarmed and a dozen other things over the minimum requirements too. No worries here about contributing to any offence figures ;)

The bloke was perfectly nice over the phone anyway, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 07 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

1290 wrote:yeh, then go knock on the door and open with "do you have GUNS!?"..... not.

Or worst, tell the wrong person you have guns.

Expect panicked phone calls to the local cop shop :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by nords » 11 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

North East wrote:Have a look up and down the street when the police are due to come to you. If you see a police car parked outside someones house it shouldn't be hard to work out.

How'd you go, Lorgar? Find a friend :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 11 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

Nah, I was actually out walking the dog when the guy arrived. I turned the corner into the street in time to see him getting out of the car at my place so no sign.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation