S.S.A.A new rifle insurance Scheme

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

S.S.A.A new rifle insurance Scheme

Post by Westy » 09 Dec 2014, 6:34 pm

Rang the S.S.A.A in Adelaide today in regards to finally getting some insurance for my rifles and had a pleasant surprise!!!
On the 1st of February next year they are introducing a new insurance scheme for S.S.A.A members, sounds like a winner to me so keep your eyes and ears out or givem a call yourself. $25-00 for $25000-00 cover sounds great to me. :D ;) :)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: S.S.A.A new rifle insurance Scheme

Post by 1290 » 09 Dec 2014, 6:52 pm

25 bucks for 25k? sound too good......

in the safe?, in the field ? theft?

give us the low down dude
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Octane » 09 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

I think someone has made a typo :lol:

Fantastic deal if correct though. I'd be in for it.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 09 Dec 2014, 7:39 pm

Yep I'm a idiot !!!Ring em and ask $25-00 to upgrade your membership to a gold membership and your gear is covered anywhere in oz up to $25000 but not until the 1 st Feb 2015
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

I'll need 4 gold memberships.... cause I just did a quick online quote and the premium was just on $2100 per year :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Dec 2014, 6:23 am

Yer I right up there too but as of next year it'll only be $25-00 . And before anyone asks no I'm not on commission here!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Octane » 11 Dec 2014, 7:56 am

Westy wrote:Yep I'm a idiot !!!Ring em and ask $25-00 to upgrade your membership to a gold membership and your gear is covered anywhere in oz up to $25000 but not until the 1 st Feb 2015

Ah so it's $25 on top of a membership. What's that these days... $60?

Not stand alone insurance for $25 for $25,000.

That's a little difference.

For some (myself) cheaper/easier to include in your home contents insurance at that rate.

Not everyone is an SSAA member of course and making it $85.

If you are a member though and not covered at home already it's a good deal, I'll give them that.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 11 Dec 2014, 7:59 am

Mine are also already covered under my home contents insurance.

But I understand some policies don't include firearms.

Never bothered to call around and find out which ones but yeah...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by threeoh » 11 Dec 2014, 8:02 am

I don't think mine is :(

I'm a member though so I think this will suit me.
threeoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Westy » 11 Dec 2014, 12:05 pm

Very Very few are covered under you home and content policy!!!! I know mine was a shock when I asked and they said a polite NO,would pay for some guys here to check.....IMHO
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brisb » 11 Dec 2014, 12:14 pm

Westy wrote:would pay for some guys here to check.....IMHO

:idea: +1
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 11 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm

Very good coverage dollar for dollar.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Dec 2014, 6:10 pm

Spot on WESTY,

With NRMA they will offer cover on Home and Contents Policy but items must be listed. Will check next year when due.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 13 Dec 2014, 9:45 am

I know a little bit about insurance, but, can't charge for advice anymore. Retired now.

I've been involved in claims from $25,000 to $100m. Claims do get paid. Comply with the policy conditions and you'll have no issues. Start playing games and trying it on, you will lose. Sadly, there are some assessors (the people who work on behalf of the insurer to work out your claim) who do make life hard for some, but, generally, I've found them decent, providing you aren't trying it on. These guys are trained in fraud detection. I know of one assessor who let a family live rent free in his recently deceased mothers house whilst theirs was being repaired after a gum tree destroyed the whole front. Not all are bastards!!!

Look for a decent insurance broker. They are required to work for you, not the insurer. Ask them who they are working for. Like most things in life, you get bad ones and you get good ones. Speak to business friends who use insurance brokers or even speak to SSAA Insurance Brokers (I'm not affiliated with them). The bloke that runs it has been around for along time and is also a shooter I believe.

The most important thing to do is read your policy. Yes, akin to putting toothpicks into your eyes, but, it's better to know where you stand before you lose everything. If you own a $30,000 shotgun and want it covered, then tell them.

Take a large excess to reduce your claim (if you have good security) if you don't regularly claim. I've got a $2500 excess on my building cover which knocked 35% off my premium and a $750 excess on my contents which knocked 20% off the premium.

I think you'll find that most policies will exclude "whilst in use." This applies to all sporting equipment generally.

Make sure you get renewal quotes each year. Insurers have learnt about the "lazy price increase" where you automatically renew each year. Avoid the price comparators - these aren't working for you.

Before I get smashed by those who hate insurers, please try to understand that Insurance companies are a business just like any other; they are there to make money, not friends - if they don't return a profit to shareholders, shareholders get upset and law suits start flying.

One last comment about insurance. You get what you pay for. Cheap insurance can mean a few things, like for instance car insurers using non genuine parts or second hand parts. I can't name them, but, they do it. Check your policy.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Dec 2014, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the good advice bluerob, I might look into my excess after reading that, perhaps I'll be able to save some money.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 15 Dec 2014, 1:32 pm

bluerob wrote:Sadly, there are some assessors (the people who work on behalf of the insurer to work out your claim) who do make life hard for some, but, generally, I've found them decent, providing you aren't trying it on.

I've had 2 experiences with the same company after moving to Victoria and changing insurers.

One for car insurance after a prang, one for contents insurance after a burglary.

Car insurance claim - No drama at all.

Told them what happened, only had to tell them once, assessor was at the repairers 2 days later or something and gave the go ahead and I had the car back after 2 weeks I think? Or 3. Anyway, not a big deal.

Home contents claim - f***ing nightmare!

As it happened my claim was actually approved very quickly, before I had the chance to pick up the replacement things though another woman rang and asked if I had picked them up... After telling her I had not she told me she was putting the claim on hold for further investigate. I can only guess that if I had already that would have been the end of it.

Long story short. It was clear to me that this woman (for reasons of her own concoction, as there sure wasn't any evidence to the contrary) decided for herself that I was lying about nearly everything that was taken.

During I'd provided photos of much of the stuff, receipts, 4 stat decs from witnesses.... The whole 9 yards. A sticking point was I didn't have photos of some of my camera gear, however I had previously called about a year earlier to try and specify these items and get them listed on the policy. At the time I called the operator swore black and blue it didn't need to be done and all but flat out refused to add the items for me.

From previous records I was able to tell her the date and time of this call but sure enough, the recording "couldn't be found" :roll: But... They could find a call from 5 years ago with my out of state insurer over 1 item which backed them. Sounds legit right? :lol:

It took a week to get it approved the first time, about 7 weeks after she got involved and things were put on hold. Couldn't provide any reason for the delay, they were just "checking things". Literally "things" couldn't tell me who or what.

She never called back after a date/time for return call was specified, no answers or progress when I called, I wrote a formal 2 page complaint towards the end of the process and when the manager called back she obviously hadn't even read it.

I tried to be nice through the whole process but eventually had enough and started the process with the insurance ombudsman. Sure enough, claim approved a day or so later :roll: After the ombudsman was involved and had the same formal complaint which listed all the details and correspondence they magically found the call where I told the woman about the items which she refused to add to my notes.

I have absolutely no doubt they were just stalling to try and get me to go away. I learned a massive amount during the process of researching for the complaint and speaking with the ombudsman and an insurance law service.

In retrospect I should have gone hard out of the gate after the 10th business day. Instead trying to be nice cost me 2 months of stress.

Never again, I'll tell you. If I'm unfortunate enough to have to make a claim again in the future, at the first sign of getting f***ed around it's game on.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation