Newbie introducing myself (and after Howa/Tikka advice)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Newbie introducing myself (and after Howa/Tikka advice)

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 12:58 pm

Hi all, after visiting this site for some time I thought it only right that I officially join the group and contribute (in any way I can).
Having been involved in shooting a fair bit as a child in the UK, mostly growing up following my dad around watching him shoot his S/S 12g, and legally being able to own air rifles without a licence (as a child!), I decided that I would like to get back into shooting and have now held my cat A/B for a year.

My dad also passed onto me his AYA #4 box lock s/s 12g (don't worry, he is still alive!) so I was 'fortunate' enough to experience the process of importing a used shotgun from the UK (very strict gun laws) to Aus. Not an easy process but able to offer some limited advice based on my experience should anyone require.

I have also purchased a little marlin xt22 to build up some experience again and will be shortly looking at a rifle capable of hunting sambar as I live in the outer East of Melbourne close to the Yarra Valley. Currently looking at 2, both in 308w being:

- Howa 1500 with hogue stock
- TikkaT3 hunter stainless.

If people have advice or opinions I would love to hear. Great to say hi to some likeminded people as the whole reason for a site like this is to not only build up your knowledge base, but to meet people and get out there in the shooting community.

Cheers all, look forward to speaking to you
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Newbie introducing myself.

Post by Baldrick314 » 11 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

Welcome to the forum mate :)
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

Thanks Baldrick314. Looking forward to getting involved (currently writing this from a poolside in bali!)
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 11 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

wild goose wrote:Thanks Baldrick314. Looking forward to getting involved (currently writing this from a poolside in bali!)

If you keep rubbing it in like that you won't fit in :lol:

Enjoy it
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

I actually thought that as I wrote it, but the temptation was too great! Dont want to sound cocky though so I'll revise the previous post to being at home in Melbourne.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 11 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm

good it always rains in Melbourne :lol: welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

Thanks tom604!
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by veep » 12 Jan 2015, 8:46 am

Welcome Goose.

Better laws here in VIC than in the UK for your shooting?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 12 Jan 2015, 8:46 am

G'day,

Welcome aboard.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ariat » 12 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

Welcome to Victoria WG.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jan 2015, 9:55 am

wild goose wrote:will be shortly looking at a rifle capable of hunting sambar as I live in the outer East of Melbourne close to the Yarra Valley. Currently looking at 2, both in 308w being:

- Howa 1500 with hogue stock
- TikkaT3 hunter stainless.

If people have advice or opinions I would love to hear.

Welcome Goose.

I'll cast a vote for the Tikka.

I have Hunter Stainless Fluted action (put mine in a Forest stock is the only change). Mines in 7mm-08 rather than .308 but close enough.

Not heaps to say about it... Comfortable, reliable, feeds smooth and shoots straight. With hand loads it shoots under 0.4MOA.

Personally prefer the stainless over blued as well as I've found it easier too clean.

If I was to buy another hunting rifle I'd get another Tikka.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Newbie introducing myself (and after Howa/Tikka advice)

Post by Kipper » 12 Jan 2015, 10:08 am

wild goose wrote:I was 'fortunate' enough to experience the process of importing a used shotgun from the UK (very strict gun laws) to Aus. Not an easy process but able to offer some limited advice based on my experience should anyone require.

Just curious, how long did it take to start the process and get it in your hands at the other end?

And welcome :)
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

veep wrote:Welcome Goose.

Better laws here in VIC than in the UK for your shooting?

Veep, it is relatively easy to get a shotgun in the UK however a centre fire is much harder than here. Gun laws in general are much tougher in the UK (the police don't even have firearms except a few armed response teams).

Kipper wrote:
wild goose wrote:I was 'fortunate' enough to experience the process of importing a used shotgun from the UK (very strict gun laws) to Aus. Not an easy process but able to offer some limited advice based on my experience should anyone require.

Just curious, how long did it take to start the process and get it in your hands at the other end?

And welcome :)

Whole process took about10 weeks but could be done sooner if pushed. We just timed it on my dad coming out here for a holiday so no real rush for us

To start the process wanst too hard, I had to apply for a B709 for which requests permission to import it into Aus. It has all the firearmm details in it. Dad had to do a similar form from his end notifying the relevant police constabulary that the firearm will be leaving the country. We both had to then lease with a licensed dealer who officially transferring the firearm. Dad brought it over with him in his case and had to present it to customs in Melbourne who then took it for a week to conduct 'safety checks' on it. My firearm dealer then went to the airport and collected it. I then just picked it up from the dealer.

The main hassle was that on both ends, no one could ever really give you a definite answer to questions or advice. It was like neither side (customs/police) knew the process and would often bounce things to the other side ("that's for UK customers to decide", "you will have to ask customs/police in Australia").

Had to also make sure that the shotgun was worth under $1000 to avoid tax and funnily enough dare called the value to be about $900 (no official evaluation required).

If anyone wants anymore advice happy to talk specifically if you want to PM me.

Oh and thanks all for the welcome, I forgot to add that even though I'm a Pom, I've lived in vic for 8 years!
Last edited by wild goose on 12 Jan 2015, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2015, 12:32 pm

The Howa and Tikka are both pretty good, a difficult choice that may come down to which one feels better in the hand.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 12 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:The Howa and Tikka are both pretty good, a difficult choice that may come down to which one feels better in the hand.

They are, and it comes down to personal choice.

Another Tikka shooter here and I'll just say you can't go wrong with one.

That's my 2c.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 12:45 pm

Cheers,

They both look like affordable rifles that both have a large backing over their simplicity and accuracy. I think your right that it will come down to the feel of which one that will be the deciding factor.

Either one should be a nice first deer rifle.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2015, 1:12 pm

What you should consider is what length of barrel you desire and perhaps if it is threaded for a brake or perhaps hoping porcine animals become aerodynamic and sound moderators are allowed one day.

There are other things like a picatinny rail if desired,built in is much better than bolt on.

What model Tikka?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 12 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

Both are great choices but don't let price be a determining factor. For the sake of an extra few weeks or months saving it's worth waiting to get what feels best.

A good way of thinking about it is that the rifle could potentially last you your whole life so it's important to get what you want.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:What you should consider is what length of barrel you desire and perhaps if it is threaded for a brake or perhaps hoping porcine animals become aerodynamic and sound moderators are allowed one day.

There are other things like a picatinny rail if desired,built in is much better than bolt on.

What model Tikka?

For the Tikka I've been looking at either the hunter or lite, both in stainless 308. When holding the lite down at the gun shop it did feel excellent to hold and super smooth. I couldn't stop picking it up out of the pile for an extra feel. My only concern with the lite is the recoil for a relatively new shooter of centre fires (however as before I have and use a 12g). Much difference in felt recoil compared to a 12g ss?
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by North East » 12 Jan 2015, 4:02 pm

wild goose wrote:For the Tikka I've been looking at either the hunter or lite, both in stainless 308. When holding the lite down at the gun shop it did feel excellent to hold and super smooth. I couldn't stop picking it up out of the pile for an extra feel. My only concern with the lite is the recoil for a relatively new shooter of centre fires (however as before I have and use a 12g). Much difference in felt recoil compared to a 12g ss?

Walking around chasing Sambar deer in the Victorian Alps the less weight the better. My T3 Lite .30-06 is 6.9 Ibs with the scope.

Get rid of the factory recoil pad and put a Limbsaver on it. If it's still uncomfortable to shoot a muzzle brake is an option.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 12 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

From one Goose to another here comes the welcome wagon!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 8:14 pm

Westy wrote:From one Goose to another here comes the welcome wagon!!!!!

Honk honk!!!
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 13 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Both are great choices but don't let price be a determining factor. For the sake of an extra few weeks or months saving it's worth waiting to get what feels best.

Without going too crazy, totally agree.

Buy something you're not completely happy with an you end up selling it second hand and buying what you wanted in a year or 2 anyway. Costs you more in money and grief over the thing.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Press » 13 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm

wild goose wrote:I think your right that it will come down to the feel of which one that will be the deciding factor.

:thumbsup:

I have a couple of Howas and they're the gun for me.

Tikka just don't fit me well, nothing wrong with them but aren't for me.

Head to your LGS and put both in your hands and it should make the decision clearer.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation