Flying with a rifle - Anyone done it themselves?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Flying with a rifle - Anyone done it themselves?

Post by samf » 20 Oct 2013, 7:42 am

I know you can fly with a checked rifle, just wondering if anyone's done it themselves?

Planning with a few mates to do a few camps/shoots in a few stays between where we all live, and can't drive anywhere...

I could borrow a rifle but would like my own if possible. Just wondering how much of a pain it is to fly with one and if you get the 3rd degree...

It's enough of a pain in the ass when I occasionally set off explosives test explaining to them I'm a licensed shooter...
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Flying with a rifle - Anyone done it themselves?

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by samf » 20 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Like I said...

samf wrote:I know you can fly with a checked rifle, just wondering if anyone's done it themselves?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by inervate » 20 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

A mate of mine does trips to and from VIC and NSW now and then.

Hasn't reported any troubles.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Harts » 20 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

Bearing in mind you check it at the special baggage section or whatever, where they will have some experience with it.

Not just bang it up on the counter and scare the s**t out of the check in girl ;)
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Don10 » 20 Oct 2013, 5:22 pm

well this doesn't answer your questions but you may find it funny. When I lived in another country I had a Glock .40 that I had a licence to carry. When checking into that country's airport to travel domestically you had to see the guy at the security desk he checked your licensed, cleared your weapon and took it off you. Just before the flight left he would bring it out to the plane and it would be the last thing in the cargo hold. I used to have a bright pink Pelican case for this job as I figured no one would think it had a glock in it and I could watch it being handled at airports.

Anyway one day I turned up saw the security guy he checked the weapon then said to me that he was short staffed and could I carry it through the check in and he would get it off me before I boarded the plane. The funny thing was I had to put it through the xray machine after checking in and heading to the boarding lounge. As I was putting it through I said to the security guys "there's a gun in there" they nodded and said ok thanks. So I picked my bright pink case up and continued. I mean WTF where they looking for if they let a gun go through. Anyway flight got called no security guy has turned up yet I waited and had to board the plane at the last minute. I was last on the plane and I had to declare to the hostie so I said "look I know this is silly but I have a gun in here" She went mental (we hadn't taken off yet) and the pilot came out and they had to call the security guy out to put it in the hold.

All quite funny I guess the only annoying bit was as we were leaving the pilot said "sorry for the inconvenience, but some inconsiderate passenger bought a gun on the plane"
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 20 Oct 2013, 6:09 pm

Don10 wrote:All quite funny I guess the only annoying bit was as we were leaving the pilot said "sorry for the inconvenience, but some inconsiderate passenger bought a gun on the plane"

:lol:

Sorry for the inconvenience, but some lazy ass security guard couldn't be f***ed doing his job.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation