New Belt Fed 9mm Upper for AR

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

New Belt Fed 9mm Upper for AR

Post by Title_II » 02 Nov 2015, 6:40 am

I think this is cool. I decided to pass on the Shrike because of the cost and because they sound like some can be hard to get (and keep) running. This one is a little cheaper and shoots 9mm. I've seen on the net that most people says it works right out of the box.

http://youtu.be/T5UpAcMR1dI

I posted here because I figured clogging up the firearm section with guns that can't be owned in Australia is probably dumb.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: New Belt Fed 9mm Upper for AR

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2015, 7:54 am

Cool clip, I really like the modularity of the AR platform and such a pity they'll never allow it here :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by The Brass » 04 Nov 2015, 12:57 pm

That barrel would almost be sagging after that abuse :lol:
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by The Brass » 04 Nov 2015, 12:58 pm

Ouch!

Just looked, $2,495 US for one.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 04 Nov 2015, 1:17 pm

It's $1850.

You need to understand that people in the US that don't bother to get dealer's/manufacturer's licenses have to spend thousands of dollars for machineguns. Sometimes tens of thousands depending on the rarity of the gun. So when somebody offers an accessory, such as a belt fed upper, that turns one of your machineguns into a second machinegun that is cooler and does not require the entry fee, you can get $1000 to $2000 out of them. The cheapest MGs in the US might be about $2500 on a really, really good day. M16s are $12K to $30K. It really sucks.

That being said, and getting the MG issue out of the way, what exactly do Aussies think a belt fed with custom links out of nowhere should cost? Have you taken a look at what your military pays for main-stream beltfeds that have hundreds of thousands in mass production and all R&D paid for? Guess what - they cost more than your Tikka.

Now, let's consider one built from the ground-up with no funding. Every single thing is new, no use of any existing parts. And there will never be hundreds of thousands sold. Less than $2K? It's a steal!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Nov 2015, 1:38 pm

belt fed AR...... are police departments were in the know but in 2005 when concern was raised as new technology of belt fed rifles.... I think they missed a century of firearm technology (they havent done that before) and crystal balled this development...
We can have the banned AR15 having belt feeding systems now...

They does look like a lot of fun, but one of those types of gun like the manually operated 22rimfire gatling gun.... was fun for a while...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 04 Nov 2015, 1:50 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:belt fed AR...... are police departments were in the know but in 2005 when concern was raised as new technology of belt fed rifles.... I think they missed a century of firearm technology (they havent done that before) and crystal balled this development...
We can have the banned AR15 having belt feeding systems now...

They does look like a lot of fun, but one of those types of gun like the manually operated 22rimfire gatling gun.... was fun for a while...

I know sour grapes when I see them :D

Yeah, fun for a while :p

I really need to get new video for you guys.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 04 Nov 2015, 2:19 pm

i want one :thumbsup: ,not that one :thumbsdown: barrels a bit hot :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Wes » 12 Nov 2015, 10:46 am

I'll take one that's not sagging as well :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 13 Nov 2015, 9:24 am

The Brass wrote:Ouch!

Just looked, $2,495 US for one.

Title_II wrote:It's $1850.

Well, $1850 intro price they say. $2495 normal retail so yeah... Still ouch.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 13 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

If they made it open bolt you would have to change all kinds of crap in the M16 receiver. Not normally an issue with 9mm, since it doesn't cause as much heat with rifle rounds. But 1000 rounds continuous in just over a minute is pushing it with any single barrel small arm, and not something that usually just happens. Not even in FPL! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by inventurkey » 18 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

Herdsman wrote:Well, $1850 intro price they say. $2495 normal retail so yeah... Still ouch.

Matter of perspective.

What were those AR style straight pulls going to cost here in Oz? $10k or something? :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation