Just got stung by the Yanks

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Just got stung by the Yanks

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2015, 8:51 pm

This is daylight robbery.

I had to get a removable velcro attached splint for my dog Lucy.
At long last the bandages are gone after her major operation, and now she needs this splint.
Being made in USA I knew it would hurt the hip pocket, but hell,,, after the thousands spent so far, I cant stop now.

So I contacted this american company / supplier and ordered and paid fot it.

The splint cost $118.45,,,,,,,
P+H charged was $128.15,,,,,
-------------------------------------------------
Total $ 246.60
---------------------------------------------------

The daylight robbery became apparent when the parcel arrived,,,, and on the label it said "Postage and Fees $45.95

I emailed the company in USA asking for an explanation.
Guess what ????

NO REPLY WHATSOEVER.
100_3892.JPG
100_3892.JPG (402.21 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
100_3900.JPG
100_3900.JPG (283.36 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Just got stung by the Yanks

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Nov 2015, 9:18 pm

The extra is their handling.....

Dispute the charge thru the credit card if you used cc, worth a try.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2015, 9:55 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The extra is their handling.....

Dispute the charge thru the credit card if you used cc, worth a try.

I already thought of that.
Doesn't "Postage and Fees" indicate that is already included ? :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 17 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm

There was some handling alright. Yikes!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 18 Nov 2015, 1:06 am

Fark that. They're making a better profit on the postage than the item itself. :thumbsdown:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Nov 2015, 6:38 am

I think this is a case of "Handling" translating to "Butt Raping"....these are US prices as well so when converted to AUD you definitely got A$$ raped.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Nov 2015, 6:38 am

'Handling' would be the merchant side..... I'm always a bit uneasy with I read a message stating that postage and HANDLING fees will be added after calculation.......
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 18 Nov 2015, 6:52 am

I bet they don't do this to people that live nearby.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Nov 2015, 6:57 am

They absolutely take advantage of os sales... quite often post is near or more than the goods.... this couple with the destruction of our dollar, and export rules.... makes the usa less attractive
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 18 Nov 2015, 9:37 am

Damn. US postage has gone through the roof in the last 5 years but that handling fee, someone's been handling something else by the sounds. I'd be taking it up with the credit card company as you authorised only $160 odd dollars.

A tip for next time (I hope there never will be a next time) stuff like splints can be made pretty easy if you know why it's supposed to do. There's a foam covered aluminium product called SAM splint. You can cut it with scissors and mild it to shape and double it up if necessary.

Also you can buy alignate and mould the part that needs the splint and make one out of EVA foam and fibreglass.

All that's beside the point mate, the most important thing is the dogs on the mend :thumbsup:

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Nov 2015, 10:55 pm

Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions and thoughts. :clap:

When I emailed the company (I think its owned and run by one guy, he also had his name on the postage slip) so I directed my email to that address, and got no response as I mentioned previously.
Today I got on the companies web site, and they had a "Contact us tab"

So I repeated my complaint via this avenue, and at least I got an automated response saying they will be in contact soon.

Should I hold my breath ????????????? :unknown:

Cheers guys
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm

I think I'm feeling your pain to a certain degree...

After looking into rifle cases for a while, I visited my legs and checked out what they had. They had quite a few single rifle hard cases of various brands, including Plano, but all except one felt quite flimsy (holding them at each end it was quite easy to twist and deform them). The prices were pretty reasonable, though (similar to what eBay sellers were advertising for the same products, and a little cheaper than some gun shops websites).

Seeing that I wasn't really liking the feel of the cases, he bought a couple of higher quality cases out. These were what I was after. One type was a good, solid single rifle case, the other a solid double rifle case with pick'n'pluck, wheels, etc. They both worked out to the same overall price, $175 each for the singles or $350 for the double. I bought the double for when I eventually get the chance to put them on a plane.

This was a couple of weeks ago.

A few minutes ago I got one of those automated eBay emails...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3814453 ... RTM1763579

Seems like this is new to eBay as I couldn't find anything like it at this sort of price a few weeks ago...

Feeling a tad bit sorry for myself ATM...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Nov 2015, 6:02 am

Ebay would be a chinky knock-off??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 19 Nov 2015, 9:12 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I think I'm feeling your pain to a certain degree...

After looking into rifle cases for a while, I visited my legs and checked out what they had. They had quite a few single rifle hard cases of various brands, including Plano, but all except one felt quite flimsy (holding them at each end it was quite easy to twist and deform them). The prices were pretty reasonable, though (similar to what eBay sellers were advertising for the same products, and a little cheaper than some gun shops websites).

Seeing that I wasn't really liking the feel of the cases, he bought a couple of higher quality cases out. These were what I was after. One type was a good, solid single rifle case, the other a solid double rifle case with pick'n'pluck, wheels, etc. They both worked out to the same overall price, $175 each for the singles or $350 for the double. I bought the double for when I eventually get the chance to put them on a plane.

This was a couple of weeks ago.

A few minutes ago I got one of those automated eBay emails...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3814453 ... RTM1763579

Seems like this is new to eBay as I couldn't find anything like it at this sort of price a few weeks ago...

Feeling a tad bit sorry for myself ATM...

Might be ok for s takedown but at 1140mm long it's a bit short.

Also I have a pick'n pluck bow case and I'd not go that way again. Eventually it ends up all getting "plucked" and stuff moves around. I'll end up getting some new foam and cutting it out with my hot wire cutter.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 19 Nov 2015, 10:36 am

I've had the same thing happen.

Told $120 for shipping and when the parcel arrive had $65 written on the labels.

The guy was adamant he paid $120 and the $65 must have been part of the costs for half the trip by one carrier before they passed it to someone else, or something like that.

Negative on the Ebay feedback for that one.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Nov 2015, 12:54 pm

About 10 years ago I was flying from bottom to top of Aussie for a hunting trip.
So I purchased a "Winchester" double rifle case for the trip.

Problem # 1, Airport security wankers demanded that I put tape over the word "Winchester" (a bit paranoid ???? )

Problem # 2, The ( now bankrupt and gone ) "Sky Air" that I had the final connect flight with, told me the case was oversize and didn't want to load it.
Which would have meant I was stranded 1/2 way across Aussie with 2 firearms in a case.
Eventually they loaded it without any problems.

Problem # 3, The baggage handlers had a field day with it. At the end of the first flight, it looked like it had done a MILLION flights.

I will say however that the contents proved to be safe and secure, and suffered no damage. :thumbsup:
As well, I have found that Qantas are the best to fly with when you have firearms.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bark » 20 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Problem # 1, Airport security wankers demanded that I put tape over the word "Winchester" (a bit paranoid ???? )

Can't even describe the stupid there....
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation