Should the SSAA become the NRA for Australia?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Should the SSAA become the NRA for Australia?

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 25 Nov 2015, 8:56 pm

Hi guys , was thinking about this today and would love to here your thoughts , with all the stuff thats going on in the US if the ssaa became more active in the community through advertising and the such and backing gun and freedom friendly political party's , would this benefit us shooters , and how do you think this could be implemented ?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Should the SSAA become the NRA for Australia?

Post by AusTac » 25 Nov 2015, 9:21 pm

The'll never step up to the plate or have the authority/following that the NRA has the SSAA seems to say one thing to us shooters and then just bends over to cope it from the government and then say oh well we tried
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 25 Nov 2015, 9:44 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Nov 2015, 6:10 am

Do you mean vocal in the community or active??
They do not have the scale to spent the money.....the way it is now theyre not even active enough delivering even simple 'shooting opportunities ' imagine if they further diluted the shooting spent......

One single rifle range anywhere within a picnic toting trip from melbourne....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 26 Nov 2015, 7:22 am

active and vocal , getting more people in to shooting , hunting and other out doors activetys , and dispelling myths , and pouting more into promoting our sport , and supporting those in a position to protect or further our freedoms
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 26 Nov 2015, 7:47 am

NRA: PROTECT OUR FREEDOM!

SSAA: Oh, was that some freedom we just lost? Darn it, we tried, thats what counts. Here, have a go at single shot .22s because thats all you really need.

differences in a nutshell
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by petemacsydney » 26 Nov 2015, 7:58 am

Aussie culture - too relaxed and very different to the excitable Yanks to create an NRA level establishment (IMHO).

Gotta run guys, the cricket is on... ;-) lol
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 8:14 am

Fark no, they are the last people you'd want fighting for you! They don't fight they cow tow and beg to be left alone. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Homer » 26 Nov 2015, 8:19 am

G'Day Fella's,

The ssaa is non event in the political scene and I doubt, this will never change.
I could say more about Why they are this way but.........................................

The best thing all LAFO's could possibly do, is Join and or Vote for the Shooters and Fishers Party (S&FP)!
No S&F Party candidate in your area, contact them and try and arrange one to Vote for!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gregg » 26 Nov 2015, 9:41 am

Homer wrote:The ssaa is non event in the political scene and I doubt, this will never change.
I could say more about Why they are this way but.........................................

Yep, they're not interested in being an advocate or peak body for shooters the way the NRA are.

They just want to run their ranges and make their magazine.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Nov 2015, 10:27 am

Although I am a member.... (I admit to making good use of the monthly toilet reading!!)

I am quite sure the SSAA would never rock the boat because the '96 laws were the best thing that happened for the organisation.... without the (effectively for many) mandatory club membership, how many members would there be Aus wide?

So would they campaign to change that particular requirement?? No.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 3:47 pm

Yep that's why they are useless at defending the cause, cos they are busy defending the business/bank balance, that's the only real thing those at the top are interested in as far as I can tell.

It's just one big business dressed up as an organisation these days and they ain't getting any of my $$$ ever again I can tell you.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 26 Nov 2015, 9:55 pm

bear foot bowhunter wrote:Hi guys , was thinking about this today and would love to here your thoughts , with all the stuff thats going on in the US if the ssaa became more active in the community through advertising and the such and backing gun and freedom friendly political party's , would this benefit us shooters , and how do you think this could be implemented ?

BFB, can i strongly urge you to join Shooters Union, at least they have teeth and use them. And more than most realise. :drinks: Its only $30 and hit the donate button. Far more what you are looking for.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Nov 2015, 6:12 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yep that's why they are useless at defending the cause, cos they are busy defending the business/bank balance, that's the only real thing those at the top are interested in as far as I can tell.

It's just one big business dressed up as an organisation these days and they ain't getting any of my $$$ ever again I can tell you.

Maybe Firearm Owners United should stand up and become the new SSAA, without the apathy.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Nov 2015, 8:14 am

FOU are just bogan mouth pieces who regurgitate what the Shooters Union say.

They do nothing positive for firearm ownership in Australia.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

Wylie27 wrote:FOU are just bogan mouth pieces who regurgitate what the Shooters Union say.

They do nothing positive for firearm ownership in Australia.

All I've seen them done is promote responsible use and ownership and help out alongside One Shot Australia.

Have your opinion, but I don't really think too much of Shooters union to begin with.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Varmtr » 29 Nov 2015, 8:08 am

All the shooting organisations need to combine as one. Like the Field & Game Federation of Australia has come together with the SSAA. But the Victorian F&G has left the federation thats just one example. But all honestly all shooting organisations ACTA, SSAA, F&G, NRA ( f class shooter ), small bore rifle and pistol etc etc need to get together as one organisation and work together on a united front.
As the old saying go's stand together or divided we fall.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 29 Nov 2015, 8:53 am

Varmtr wrote:All the shooting organisations need to combine as one. Like the Field & Game Federation of Australia has come together with the SSAA. But the Victorian F&G has left the federation thats just one example. But all honestly all shooting organisations ACTA, SSAA, F&G, NRA ( f class shooter ), small bore rifle and pistol etc etc need to get together as one organisation and work together on a united front.

^^^^^ this, include in the mix the shooters and fishers party because without political clout all the rest are ineffective . going to be hard to get them to stand together when they all have their own agendas and want to be the ones calling the shots and some of them don't want the laws to change as it may impact on their business model. :silent:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Nov 2015, 9:34 am

No, I disagree, all as one group is impossible and not practicable.
I think diversity is a horribly mis-construed word, but in the shooting arena, it is necessary .....there are just so many differing types of shooting, types of 'people' who would never co-ordinate. Who want vanilla anyway, when you can have strawberry, Choc, coffee, Boysenberry, raspberry, countless other flavours..

Thinking aloud here (at least as I type) but a loose affiliation of ALL shooters who then CHOOSE (as in pre-select) members from any of the countless organisations / club / groups / individuals, who wish to represent shooters (and non-shooters) in the parliaments of Australia.

Take S&FP for example, if it is to be the single political representation of shooters interests, its membership should include organisations AND individuals
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Nov 2015, 2:53 pm

Varmtr wrote:All the shooting organisations need to combine as one. Like the Field & Game Federation of Australia has come together with the SSAA. But the Victorian F&G has left the federation thats just one example. But all honestly all shooting organisations ACTA, SSAA, F&G, NRA ( f class shooter ), small bore rifle and pistol etc etc need to get together as one organisation and work together on a united front.

Never gonna happen, too many ego's and legends in their own lunchtime for that to ever happen. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 29 Nov 2015, 10:34 pm

Think it has to be all pro gun organizations , and party's ( sfp , LDP ,kap ,mep, ext. ) if theoretically this could be done , think we as shooters could hold back the tide and possibly change it
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm

An affiliation, alliance or council. Ask the Victorians, they seem on the right track to achieving something along these lines. Then we need to get it national
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by BBJ » 30 Nov 2015, 8:15 am

Varmtr wrote:All the shooting organisations need to combine as one.

Agreed.

10 small organisations don't have anywhere near as much punch as a single organisation 10x the size.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Varmtr » 12 Dec 2015, 5:27 pm

I believe it can be done and should be done. They need to put aside the ego's and there own agenda's an attack on one's shooting / hunting / target is an attack on all of us.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 12 Dec 2015, 8:33 pm

United we stand, divided we fall....I think all these splinter groups are playing into the hands of the anti's as one of the best battle strategies is to break the opposition into smaller pieces then destroy them piece by piece.

My thoughts...one all encompassing national body made up of an executive council we reps from each state. State bodies to have a committee rep for each discipline with equal voting rights and a central match / rule body. All facets of shooting get a voice at state level and are represented on a national level.

The above is probably a naïve view of a perfect world free of ego and self interest...:(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 15 Dec 2015, 10:11 am

They should.

They won't.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by coloradoboy » 19 Dec 2015, 10:02 am

it is an impossibility. the NRA has a moral high ground with regards to the 2A which in turn garners unparalleled support from many upon many folk. it is our god-given and inalienable right.

Australia will never have that.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
coloradoboy
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2015, 5:07 pm

Tiiger wrote:They should.

They won't.

I agree.

But "Legends in their own lunchtime" :lol: sheesh that broke me up, have never heard that before.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 20 Dec 2015, 4:12 am

I know very little about these orgs. If we can't get them together, can't we just lobby them to establish constructive ties and promote common issues and recruit their members to legislative issues?

We have more than one guns rights organization in the USA, by the way, and not everybody likes or supports the NRA (which is a mistake nowadays IMO). We have several large ones.

Gun Owners of America has billed itself as the "take no crap" alternative to the NRA, although the NRA has come around in recent decades and been stronger on policy. GOA does more at the state level than NRA.

You know all those NRA victories you have read about in courts and the US Supreme Court in the last 10 years? Yeah, that' wasn't the NRA. That was the Second Amendment Foundation. The NRA was tangentially involved in a few, but did not champion any of them.

Here in The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, we have FOAC. They have done more to improve gun laws in our Commonwealth than all national gun organizations combined. FOAC also sends questionnaires to politicians, tracks their voting records, and provides a voting guide that goes all the way down to your local county clerk. I print out the guide from my district as a starting point and then mark it up as I have time to investigate some of the candidates. I then bring it with me to vote. Good idea, right? It makes the legislators nervous when they receive that survey in the mail.

And there are dozens more worthy of recognition. And, yes, they do butt heads and compete from time to time, but they do work together from time to time as well.

Here is an interesting idea:

http://amgoa.org/

This is an organization my friend started. They don't do any lobbying. They don't do any direct organizing. They are a clearinghouse for information to members of all gun organizations and a conduit for collaboration. Maybe you need a similar outside the box idea, an impartial coordinator between all the groups. This one is run by two people with about 3 or 4 other part time contributors.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 05 Jan 2016, 9:15 am

The SSAA is our largest body here but the problem is over time they've turned from a shooters advocate into a business that operates ranges and publishes a magazine.

It's not really about them not coming together with smaller groups because of differences of opinions, they just aren't interested.

The Shooters and Fishers Party is an active political party working for us shooters but they are small. Nothing remotely like the Republican or NRA levels of activity or push to protect gun rights.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation