Another day at the range

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Another day at the range

Post by juststarting » 12 Dec 2015, 11:51 pm

I posted this (http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/12/12 ... range-day/) in the weekend shooting thread, but I thought I would post this separately, mainly to say thanks to you guys, who helped me with advise, reloading, tips, etc. Improving heaps and got you jerks to thank for it (a little bit anyway) :D Bloody addictive! Cheaper than some other 'bad' habits I suppose. Also, a much thinner wallet, that's mostly on me.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Another day at the range

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2015, 12:03 am

Nice groups :) Was the 1 flyer the first shot by any chance? I often used to spray the 5th shot of a nice tight group, probably over stressed about not stuffing up and changing my routine. Practising at home on the floor dry firing from the prone position for some hours helped set up the muscle memory and routine for me and my groups improved.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 13 Dec 2015, 8:13 am

brett1868 wrote:Nice groups :) Was the 1 flyer the first shot by any chance? .

Hard to say, I don't remember.

I did notice however that my groups get really good if I am shooting down the center, so to speak. And they open up if I am shooting to the side. For example, if you'd have 5 targets, in the center and at each corner of an A3 or A4 sheet, the center would be tight. Right side would be okay and left side would open up. I think it's me not having the right form while shooting of a bipod. I would force the rifle to the left, there would be tension and that would impact accuracy, a lot. Once I noticed this pattern, I started readjusting my body a lot more to reposition myself for a shot to a more natural feeling position.

Also started to take aim, relax, close my eyes, open my eyes, if the crosshair is still where I want it to be, I'd fine tune a little bit and shoot. Before, I would just take aim and shoot, which resulted in crap groups all over the place.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 15 Dec 2015, 10:36 am

brett1868 wrote:Nice groups :) Was the 1 flyer the first shot by any chance? I often used to spray the 5th shot of a nice tight group, probably over stressed about not stuffing up and changing my routine.

Done plenty of the 5's.

But getting to 10 on a rimfire group, shaky as hell when you've done a perfect 9 and you have that last shot left :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Dec 2015, 10:48 am

Actually, I am finding rimfire a little harder than 308 for consistent groups. I have no idea why, yet. I suspect it's a lot lighter and I am holding it too tight or not tight enough. Nfi really. Just know consistency is suffering.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Dec 2015, 1:41 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, I am finding rimfire a little harder than 308 for consistent groups.

If you fired say, ten ten-shot groups at separate aiming marks, IMO you would find that although the group size might be consistent, the point of impact will vary from group to group arouns the aiming mark. That's rifles for you :(
IMO, rimfires are the more inconsistent.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 20 Dec 2015, 8:23 am

The rimfire ammo itself is probably a large factor in why it shoots less consistant groups than your carefully handloaded .308 stuff.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2015, 8:44 am

"I suspect it's a lot lighter and I am holding it too tight or not tight enough. Nfi really."
Just a suggestion, try one of these:

mtm.JPG
mtm.JPG (20.87 KiB) Viewed 2717 times

But don't use them my self, got a DIY

Rim fire ammo can shoot all over the place, Have you tested several well known brands?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 20 Dec 2015, 9:11 am

Re rimfire, it's Savage 93 17HMR. Shoot of a bipod.

I tested using CCI fmj hp, Hornady (with ballistic tip), and Federal fmj hp. Groups are very consistent using all ammo. Point of impact is similar using Federal and CCI. Hornady point of impact is tiny bit different. But I am not convinced that's it's not me. Need few more hours with it, when I get around to it, to make sure. And run bore snake every 10 or so rounds to make the test a little more consistent. Until then, I am not blaming the tools just yet.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Dec 2015, 4:10 pm

I forgot that you were shooting a 17. I have no experience with them but you mentioned cleaning above and it made me wonder if your barrel fouls easily or if you only need the boresnake as you say. The seventeens I heard of were centrefires and were pigs to clean, apparently. Have you ever really attacked the bore with bronze brushes, powder and copper solvent to get it squeaky clean and Then shot it? Maybe it would work for you, maybe not but you shoot the 308 well, so your follow through must be good. I know cleaning is the pits. I went through it with my 223 every Sunday morning but you only have to try it once and if it doesn't work you have not lost much. If cleaning does work, then you have gained a more accurate rifle :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 20 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

Last time I shot it, would make 500'ish rounds in total through it. So it got a good clean with copper solvent. Up until than i used carbon solvent and bronze brush. I want to take it out again before fixating on any specific issue.

On a mildly related note, I am thinking of maybe lookin at a .223 as a smallish (complimentary) caliber, instead of a 17HMR. I know it's a source of countless debates, not trying to start one, just thinking out loud...

Also have an eye on Mosin Nagant but that's totally different again :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Dec 2015, 7:02 pm

My 223 was a range rifle. Shot 80 gn Palma bullets through it. Totally different animal.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by AusC » 05 Jan 2016, 8:39 am

Lorgar wrote:But getting to 10 on a rimfire group, shaky as hell when you've done a perfect 9 and you have that last shot left :lol:

Pack up, go home, just say it's 10 :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation