Storing rifles with a dual cab Tray

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Storing rifles with a dual cab Tray

Post by rsj223 » 25 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm

Had a look at a dual cab tray on the weekend and started thinking hmm when the back seat is taken up with passengers where would we store the rifles, if I got it I would make up a frame then canvas cover and then make up some specific storage.
What have you used or seen, tool box?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Storing rifles with a dual cab Tray

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2016, 6:33 pm

Yep a metal tool storage box is what I use if need be but most of the time they are in the cab with me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2016, 7:16 pm

Id use a space case. Just as tough as a metal tool box and they're water and dust proof the military use them for bulk storage. And they're lockable.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2016, 1:32 pm

Mmmmm Interesting thought. If an unlicenced person is with you and the firearm is say behind or on the ute seat while you are refueling would it be legal?

I got a feeling the answer is a big NO. What if its locked in a gun case? Im in Vic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jake » 26 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

We just put our guns behind the back seat of our hiluxs can fit a few behind there I usually take a few young blokes up during hound season so Utes chockers and that seems to work no damage to guns ever and you wouldn't even know they where there
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

Chuck the rifles in the tray, cover with the tonneau... or hard cover, bob's your auntie, dont over think it or be perplexed by VICPOL's stupid hoplo interpretations :thumbsdown: they dont make the laws.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm

Buy a 3-5 rifle safe and bolt it into the tray up front, perfectly legal to store the firearms and purpose built for the purpose. Doubles up as a toolbox when not shooting and if you throw a blanket over it can make a nice spot to kneel on when shooting from the back.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 26 Jan 2016, 9:35 pm

brett1868 wrote:Buy a 3-5 rifle safe and bolt it into the tray up front, perfectly legal to store the firearms and purpose built for the purpose. Doubles up as a toolbox when not shooting and if you throw a blanket over it can make a nice spot to kneel on when shooting from the back.

That's what got me thinking when I seen a very cheap 5 gun safe and then started thinking on how to keep the door open or if was the other way so the door lays down then how to stop the key getting smashed.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jan 2016, 10:30 pm

Unlock, open door a little then remove key. I do that with my ammo safe so the key doesn't bang against the wall.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Jan 2016, 6:01 am

That 5 gun safe is a great idea! Just not sure how it would go practically for me on the farm with stopping dirt and moisture getting in laying on its back. :unknown: I recon that would definately satisfy Vicpol
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jan 2016, 4:55 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:That 5 gun safe is a great idea! Just not sure how it would go practically for me on the farm with stopping dirt and moisture getting in laying on its back. :unknown: I recon that would definately satisfy Vicpol

You can buy foam weather seal tape from Bunnings, there multiple widths, thicknesses and densities from hard rubber to sponge. I have a 2mm thick by 5mm wide strip all around the safe doors, not so much for dust but to help control humidity & temperature. I'm sure there are some safes where the key can be removed when unlocked so no worries about breaking keys with the door open, small gas strut, occy strap or a bit of old rope solves the door staying open issue. Can always bolt it in then build a form ply box over it as a disguise and make it a suitable height to double up as a bench seat.

Of course another solution is to lose a couple friends and put the guns in the rear cab.

Personally, I almost never shoot with more then 1 other person for safety reasons. One spots / drives and the other shoots, swapping duties after each engagement with the enemy :) The unused firearms are unloaded and in their bags on the back where they can't cause harm.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Jan 2016, 6:48 pm

brett1868 wrote:
You can buy foam weather seal tape from Bunnings, there multiple widths, thicknesses and densities from hard rubber to sponge. I have a 2mm thick by 5mm wide strip all around the safe doors, not so much for dust but to help control humidity & temperature. I'm sure there are some safes where the key can be removed when unlocked so no worries about breaking keys with the door open, small gas strut, occy strap or a bit of old rope solves the door staying open issue. Can always bolt it in then build a form ply box over it as a disguise and make it a suitable height to double up as a bench seat.

Of course another solution is to lose a couple friends and put the guns in the rear cab.

Personally, I almost never shoot with more then 1 other person for safety reasons. One spots / drives and the other shoots, swapping duties after each engagement with the enemy :) The unused firearms are unloaded and in their bags on the back where they can't cause harm.

The outer ply box is a good idea! As is the weather seal I've never thought of that I just bought a 1 kg pack of that silica moisture wicking gel stuff that comes in ya new gun boxes shoes etc. to wick up any humidity in the cabinet which in in a shed as well so moisture can be an issue but the weather seal would probably make the stuff last longer.

My spika 15 gun case lets you remove the keys when you've unlocked it.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Jan 2016, 8:02 pm

Mallee... you do realise you can dry out your silica gel in a slow oven or sun shine and reuse it indefinitely?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm

A little off topic but I have 6 of the Pingi XL (450gm) bags of the silica type beads that I recharge in the microwave (I have an old one in the workshop).

http://www.pingiaustralia.com.au/

How to recharge

Remove the string bow and place your Pingi with the indicator facing upwards on a plate (with folded kitchen paper underneath) into a fat and grease free microwave oven for the time specified below.

Pingi Mini: 3 minutes
Pingi Bag: 5 minutes
Pingi XL: 6 minutes, then remove Pingi XL for 5 minutes and dry microwave, and then place your Pingi back into the microwave for another 6 minutes.

The moisture indicator will change colour from light pink back to blue after recharging. Let your Pingi cool off and reposition the bow after 5-10 minutes.

Your Pingi damp absorber is ready for use again

These sell for around the $25 mark at I think IGA in the laundry section, eBay you can find a 12 pack for $216 with free postage which is great value.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Jan 2016, 8:54 pm

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. :roll: would I be better off moving my safe into an insulated brick room instead of in the shed?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jan 2016, 8:59 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. :roll: would I be better off moving my safe into an insulated brick room instead of in the shed?

Yep :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Jan 2016, 9:22 pm

Cheers the OP can have his thread back now! :thumbsup: :drinks:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Jan 2016, 9:27 pm

If you have space, yes. Absolutely. Still want some moisture control, though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 27 Jan 2016, 9:29 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. :roll: would I be better off moving my safe into an insulated brick room instead of in the shed?

All good, reading any info I can
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Elek » 29 Jan 2016, 3:01 pm

Assuming an average room vs an average shed, definitely would be better as far as humidity and temperature fluctuation goes.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation