The up late I'm bored open topic thread.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The up late I'm bored open topic thread.

Post by Gwion » 11 May 2017, 8:13 pm

:thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 May 2017, 12:19 am

Up late tonight and watching an episode of 'Blindspot'.

Now i know why they like big bangers in the US.,.their ammo's all powder-puff loaded (or one of the Rat Plague loads lol).

Must be,...how else do you explain .223's at 30m ricocheting off filing cabinets????

For all it's (purported) entertainment value, Hollyweird sure has a lot to answer for in this modern world...and the MSM should stop referring to movies for 'background' when 'reporting', it only exposes just how dim they really are....

Yup,...It's late,....and i'm bored,.....just my musings....ymmv. :)
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 26 May 2017, 10:12 pm

Not late yet but Im bored.
Im a few drinks into a bottle of bundy 33OP which is 75.9%alc. What is the most potent non home brew comercial stuff others here have tried. I think this and buffalo trace white dog at 62.5 are my top. Love BT white dog has strong corn whiskey moonshine flavour.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by superdave » 27 May 2017, 7:16 am

Never tried anything above 40% myself . But I have to ask: is drinking Bundy 33OP like jumping in front of a moving bus?
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Cryptic » 27 May 2017, 10:42 am

superdave wrote:Never tried anything above 40% myself . But I have to ask: is drinking Bundy 33OP like jumping in front of a moving bus?

Does have a hell of a kick thats for sure. Woke up at 4am on the couch this morning.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 May 2017, 6:37 pm

Cryptic wrote:Not late yet but Im bored.
Im a few drinks into a bottle of bundy 33OP which is 75.9%alc. What is the most potent non home brew comercial stuff others here have tried. I think this and buffalo trace white dog at 62.5 are my top. Love BT white dog has strong corn whiskey moonshine flavour.

I had 33OP a couple of decades ago... probably should have kept it un-opened, the old bottles are worth a bit now.
Another high powered drink is Bacardi 151 which is 75.5%acl. That's another one that sorts the men out from the boys.
Another late night special is Green Chartreuse ... 55% alcohol. It's a good one to have straight.

It's easy enough to make your own alcohol that's 95% to 97% pure but drinking that would be stupidity.
Personally I prefer mine at 40% alcohol, sat on activated carbon for a few weeks followed by almost a month on Gobbler's Bourbon chips . Now that's a smooth drink !

There's been plenty of people killed from the old
"I always drink at least a whole bottle attitude" Infant I thought that Bundaberg stopped making 33OP because too many people died trying to get through a whole bottle on their own, I was surprised to see it back on the shelves again. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 27 May 2017, 7:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

I had 33OP a couple of decades ago... probably should have kept it un-opened, the old bottles are worth a bit now.
Another high powered drink is Bacardi 151 which is 75.5%acl. That's another one that sorts the men out from the boys.
Another late night special is Green Chartreuse ... 55% alcohol. It's a good one to have straight.

It's easy enough to make your own alcohol that's 95% to 97% pure but drinking that would be stupidity.
Personally I prefer mine at 40% alcohol, sat on activated carbon for a few weeks followed by almost a month on Gobbler's Bourbon chips . Now that's a smooth drink !

"I always drink at least a whole bottle attitude" Infant I thought that Bundaberg stopped making 33OP because too many people died trying to get through a whole bottle on their own, I was surprised to see it back on the shelves again. :thumbsup:

Yep 151 is awesome don't mind a bit of green fairy absinthe either :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 28 May 2017, 11:42 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

Not wrong bout worth a bit. Mates have big collections worth a good amount.
I used to collect bundy up till few years ago when they went nuts with a new release every 1 to 2 months so got over it and sold most off except future drinkers.
I bought the 33op when they did the 2013 anniversary but stopped drinking before got to crack it.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 May 2017, 12:35 am

My imbibing favorite is the Wild Turkey (Barrel Proof 83% iirc)....it ALL goes down sweet on a full bottle, hardly any slowing down, but ohhhh what a fuzz head when ya wake...lmao.

Re Chartreuse.. got into that for a while in my 20's....preferred the Green over the Yellow...but both BITE....:)

No drinks tonight....just ambling around looking for 'build' ideas...got something in mind, but due to 'special' tastes, likely won't occur lmao. I hate having to 'settle' due to non or lack of availability of what i desire....that, and the lack of $$$ ha ha ha...
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 May 2017, 2:17 am

You know, barrel proof, key word here being proof is only like 40% alcohol volume, which seems a little low for cask strength :p You mean, 83% alcohol? Sheesh, I am surrounded by whisky n00bs! And Chartreuse in the same post, my god, man, what's next, connoisseur's notes on subtle citrus undertones in a bottle of Smirnoff Ice? Bah!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 May 2017, 2:34 am

quote instead of edit lol.
Last edited by PoorShot300 on 30 May 2017, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 May 2017, 2:49 am

juststarting wrote:You know, barrel proof, key word here being proof is only like 40% alcohol volume, which seems a little low for cask strength :p You mean, 83% alcohol?

Not that i was arguing the merits of labeling, or the differences between the two, but yes, i was aware. :thumbsup:

Sheesh, I am surrounded by whisky n00bs! And Chartreuse in the same post, my god, man, what's next, connoisseur's notes on subtle citrus undertones in a bottle of Smirnoff Ice? Bah!

Did you imbibe before posting? otherwise what reason to jump all over a poster for simply 'musing' as to current and past "indulging".... i wasn't in a pi$$ing competition with anyone if that's what you were thinking :?: :wtf:

After all, what you drink doesn't affect me,...go your hardest by all means.

One mans grapes is another mans wine....dare to be different. :drinks:

Just to clarify, by Barrel Proof, i was alluding, albeit poorly, to the "Rare Breed" range, particularly the now defunct "108" version. The quoted 83% may be marginally off, hence (iirc) being used, it's been a while since i enjoyed one, and no, i am not any sort of aficionado of alcohol, i just know what i like when i do drink.

Regards
Gypsy
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 May 2017, 7:14 am

This is probably the smoothest whiskey I've ever drunk and at 55 percent it has a kick :thumbsup:

20170530_070800.jpg
20170530_070800.jpg (546.75 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 30 May 2017, 7:52 am

I had a rule.for years that 12years was the shortest time a whisky should be on oak and my standard drink was always Dalwhinnie 15 and Lagavilin 16 but over the years the 16 has got darker and sweeter. I recently had s bottle of Lagavulin 12 and just fell in love. A bit out of my everyday budget, though. I was completely taken by surprise by a bottle of Oban 10. Just perfect to accompany a well crafted ale and a very affordable treat at around the $90 mark.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 30 May 2017, 8:17 am

PoorShot300 wrote:Did you imbibe before posting? otherwise what reason to jump all over a poster for simply 'musing' as to current and past "indulging".... i wasn't in a pi$$ing competition with anyone if that's what you were thinking :?:

It was late and I was up and bored :p :drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 May 2017, 8:56 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4596 times

A few victims from the last 12 months or so.
Left-right:
Lagavulin 12
Lagavulin 16
Taliska 10
Laphroaig std
Laphroaig PX Cask (aged on Spanish sherry cask)
Aberlour 12
Oban 10
Bushmills Black Bush
Dalwhinnie 15
Buffalo Trace (not a bourbon drinker but a mate brought this over and it is possibly the nicest bourbon I've ever had)

Gone are the days I could afford to keep a dozen full single malts on the shelf..... :cry:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 May 2017, 10:54 am

juststarting wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:Did you imbibe before posting? otherwise what reason to jump all over a poster for simply 'musing' as to current and past "indulging".... i wasn't in a pi$$ing competition with anyone if that's what you were thinking :?:

It was late and I was up and bored :p :drinks:

Can't get any more vanilla than that...no worries (been there done that myself lol) :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Gypsy
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 30 May 2017, 7:44 pm

Not a scotch fan myself. I prefer Yank stuff from the buffalo trace distillery. Buffalo trace was my go to drink if out and they had it and if I found the scarce sazerac or Stagg stuff would definitely imbibe. Good whiskey bar in Brisbane called Lefty's that has around 250 odd types on the bar and upstairs in a secluded rather odd to find area is what they call a secret marine bar with rums.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 30 May 2017, 9:55 pm

All this high falootin piss drinking. I drink beer and bourbon. The mass produced cheapish kind. I mix coke with my bourbon.

Guess I'm just too tight to spend big dollars on grog.

You could say I'm a cultural philistine.

I also buy pre mixers, whatever is on special, be it bourbon , whiskey , rum , gin, vodka or whatever else.

White wine is barely passable and red tastes like petrol.

My mate distills his own spirits , that stuff is rocket fuel and puts a real fire in the belly.

That is my valuable contribution.... you're welcome
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2017, 10:08 pm

I don't drink anymore - was a champion at it for quite a few years but now don't drink SFA (1 or 2 beers every now and then) which is plenty for me these days (thank god) way to expensive to drink the way I used too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2017, 11:57 pm

I don't drink anymore, gave it up years ago but I did buy a bottle of Vodka last year purely because I liked the bottle bit like some of the firearms I own. Crystal Skull Vodka, when the bottle's this awesome who cares what the Vodka tastes like :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 17 Jun 2017, 1:01 am

Interesting TED talk...

Peter van Uhm: Why I chose a gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAsM1vAhW0
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2017, 1:51 am

I never got into drugs or alcohol, though I did drink a tiny bit socially when I was studying at TAFE as a teen.
Don't even drink tea or coffee.
Last beer I tasted was in '88 when the owner brought a slab on site and wouldn't leave until I'd cracked one with him. The drunken bricklayers had convinced him he was required to bring beer to all trades if he didn't want his house to fall down.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2017, 6:57 pm

"Last beer I tasted was in '88"

That's very sad. :cry:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Jun 2017, 10:40 am

Don't drink alcohol, don't drink tea or coffee........what the hell do you drink??? :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 12:21 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Don't drink alcohol, don't drink tea or coffee........what the hell do you drink??? :lol:

Amazingly, there are other things to drink than drugs and alcohol :-)
My girlfriend lives on tea though, can barely function without it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Jun 2017, 12:24 pm

You know what fish do in water, don't you!? :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm

Gwion wrote:You know what fish do in water, don't you!? :P

Been known to do that myself, and worse ;-)

When I was working in the Kimberley we used to drive past a big concrete water tank where the local kids were always swimming. Eventually somebody told us that that was the drinking water for the community!
Luckily, we hadn't been drinking it anyway, we weren't that silly :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 Jun 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Last beer I tasted was in '88"

That's very sad. :cry:

Yep, it was pretty damned disgusting. Luckily I only had a couple swigs while he was watching, the rest went where all beer should go, into the garden!

When I was a very young fellow in Tennant Creek everybody leaves a slab of cans out for the garbo's at christmas. We used to sneak out during the night to snaffle a few slabs. The next day we'd spend a few hours hurling them as high as we could, then running away before they came down and smashed on the road - awesome fun :-) Looking back it's a wonder the alcoholic community didn't beat us to a pulp, and there was no shortage of drunks around up there. Strangely, I can't recall any of us having any interest at all in tasting the crap.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Jul 2017, 5:00 pm

Friday night entertainment.....

image.jpg
image.jpg (861.11 KiB) Viewed 4349 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (544.67 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation