It's the LAW,,, You must own a firearm.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

It's the LAW,,, You must own a firearm.

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2016, 8:35 pm

I seem to recall that a certain state/county/town ( :unknown: ) in the USofA had/has law that says all citizens must either hold a firearm license,, or own a firearm.

Apparently the crime rate is at an all time low, due probably to the fact that all would be crims think long and hard before committing a crime,,, with the knowledge that the would be victim/s are almost guaranteed to be armed.
Coupled to the ? right to defend home and property (in the US) it all seems to be a mighty deterrent to crime.

Who can name the state/county/town,,, and is it still the same ?

More fact/details would be appreciated.
Maybe some of the "guvmints" would do well to prick their ears, and take notice.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: It's the LAW,,, You must own a firearm.

Post by sbd3927 » 01 Apr 2016, 8:41 pm

I remembered enough keywords to find it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia

and the snopes investigation
http://www.snopes.com/kennesaw-gun-law/

So not quite true.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm

I've heard that that's what they're discussing at the NFA review, it's an actual thing, I was told by a bloke who's mate has an uncle thats involved ... pass it on.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 01 Apr 2016, 10:33 pm

Georgia has no firearm licenses. Very few of our 50 states have any kind of license. Guns are cash and carry. In most states you can buy guns at neighborhood garage sales.

The law is real, I remember when it was passed. Other places have passed similar laws.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 01 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

It was up north somewhere.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by adam » 02 Apr 2016, 7:33 am

You're not thinking Switzerland are you? As I understand it, almost every house has firearms in there (almost 1 in 2 citizens). People know how to use, and are familiar with firearms. The country is very low on the international homicide chart.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 08 Apr 2016, 11:33 am

Texas or Tennessee perhaps?

Just guessing the more enthusiastic states :D
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 16 May 2016, 10:31 am

sbd3927 wrote:I remembered enough keywords to find it.

I can see it now.

guns + own + america

10,345,765,123,548,978,234 results found :lol:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 16 May 2016, 1:45 pm

Switzerland has conscription and a after conscription they, go to the army reserve. Because of it's small size. (Frazer Island comes to mind) they take their weapons and kit home so they can go immediately out their front door into defence mode. Seems sensible.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 16 May 2016, 3:20 pm

I missed the followups. The law is real, I believe it was passed in the 80s in Georgia. Again, I remember when it was passed.

As far as picking pro-gun states is concerned, you don't start with Texas or Tennessee, you start with The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania :)

We have like 3 or 4 times the number of carry permits Texas has with a much smaller population, and don't require people to jump through hoops to get one (unlike Texas). We have the highest number or NRA members of any state, an official state rifle, and we deploy the 6th largest armed force on the entire planet (> than all Australia forces combined) on the first day of deer rifle season just to kill Bambie. That's not the USA, that's just Pennsylvania. We close schools and businesses close. Just on the first day.

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 6:06 pm

Title_II wrote:I missed the followups. The law is real, I believe it was passed in the 80s in Georgia. Again, I remember when it was passed.

As far as picking pro-gun states is concerned, you don't start with Texas or Tennessee, you start with The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania :)

We have like 3 or 4 times the number of carry permits Texas has with a much smaller population, and don't require people to jump through hoops to get one (unlike Texas). We have the highest number or NRA members of any state, an official state rifle, and we deploy the 6th largest armed force on the entire planet (> than all Australia forces combined) on the first day of deer rifle season just to kill Bambie. That's not the USA, that's just Pennsylvania. We close schools and businesses close. Just on the first day.

Did you type that with one hand ,,, while the other one was over your heart ????

Almost (almost) makes me want to emigrate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 May 2016, 7:26 pm

I would emigrate but I'm just not rich enough.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2016, 8:01 pm

adam wrote:You're not thinking Switzerland are you? As I understand it, almost every house has firearms in there (almost 1 in 2 citizens). People know how to use, and are familiar with firearms. The country is very low on the international homicide chart.

You are thinking about the previous conscripts in the malitia who are obliged to keep weapons at home after they complete their service. Thier old service weapon is converted to semi auto before they can keep it at home.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Norton » 12 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm

Happy to comply with that one :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Aug 2016, 12:26 pm

There re a number of communities in America that "require" head of households to have a firearm in the home, understand they all have a provision that if you're a convicted criminal you are not allowed to, and if you are opposed to owning a gun for moral reasons you do not have to have one either. Kennesaw GA was just the first.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2016, 1:51 pm

So, you have to have a gun unless you don't want to...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Miami_JBT » 23 Aug 2016, 10:49 am

It is Kennesaw, Georgia. A couple of town north of me. I'm on the FL/GA border.

Georgia is a permit to carry state. You must have a concealed carry permit just like Florida does.

GA is not cash and carry. It is less thsn New York or California.

In FLand GA, the CCW permit is "Shall Issue". Meaning the state must issue you one if you qualify for it.

You do not need a.permit to own in FL or GA, just to carry.
Miami_JBT
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation