So it seems there are more shooters in AU than I thought

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

So it seems there are more shooters in AU than I thought

Post by juststarting » 12 May 2016, 10:22 am

https://www.crimtrac.gov.au/publication ... rt-2014-15

...just shy of 2M. Haven't read the report in detail yet though. But if true, wow!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: So it seems there are more shooters in AU than I thought

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 May 2016, 11:05 am

The one thing I took from that was, who the blody hell is setting their KPI's ?

This is the kpi that is consistent right through every bit I read .... Key performance indicator: Availability of police checking, vehicles of interest, DNA database,"

How about setting your kpi targets a little higher, like accual number of crimes solved , number of criminals apprehended , number of stolen firearms recovered ,number of balistic records mached ...

Kpi's are normally used to target an outcome rather than simply acknowledging the network or a system is up and running.

Whenever I read reports like that I cant help think that someone has been paid to spend time making it look pretty .....$$$$$$$ public dollars $$$$$$$$$

I think the same at work when I see pretty presentations ... "some wasted fu (k has spent all week doing sweet f a , how iss this beneficial to the business? "
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 12 May 2016, 11:17 am

Chill, Winston.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 12 May 2016, 12:46 pm

Page 33 "ABIN In Action" is a nice piece of text that should be printed, scrunched up then firmly inserted into Samantha Lee's rectum. Maybe then she'll understand it's the illegal guns that are the problem and not us LAFO's :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 12 May 2016, 12:50 pm

Brett, why just one page?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 May 2016, 1:32 pm

brett1868 wrote:Page 33 "ABIN In Action" is a nice piece of text that should be printed, scrunched up then firmly inserted into Samantha Lee's rectum. Maybe then she'll understand it's the illegal guns that are the problem and not us LAFO's :)

She doesnt have a rectum.... she's not human... I havent put my finger quite on it just yet but she couldnt possibly be human.

If you are inserting things however, how about a pineapple... maybe an Adler, a few boxes of rapid fire ammo and a couple of 3D printed ASSault rifles... :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 May 2016, 1:38 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Page 33 "ABIN In Action" is a nice piece of text that should be printed, scrunched up then firmly inserted into Samantha Lee's rectum. Maybe then she'll understand it's the illegal guns that are the problem and not us LAFO's :)

She doesnt have a rectum.... she's not human... I havent put my finger quite on it just yet but she couldnt possibly be human.

If you are inserting things however, how about a pineapple... maybe an Adler, a few boxes of rapid fire ammo and a couple of 3D printed ASSault rifles... :unknown:

I mean the only explanation is lizard person to be honest
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 12 May 2016, 2:20 pm

KPI's are hard to apply to an organisation like Crimtrac. It is only really a data repository with no ability to action arrests etc. It is up to the local Mr Plods to use the data to effect the completion of evidence collection and then arrests.

One piece of data that should be able to be extracted from the new tracking system is the use of illegal vs registered (stolen or otherwise) used to commit crimes. But, to get the most complete data it would require a ballistic sample (fired round and case) from each registered firearm in Australia. This would also have to be done for each barrel, bolt and firing pin change over the life of the firearm. An impossible task and realistically, the pain would not be worth the gain. .
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 May 2016, 4:01 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

"I havent put my finger quite on it just yet"

Is that just a poor choice of words,,,, or a rhetorical statement ????

:o :shock: :wtf:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 May 2016, 5:24 pm

Was a poor choice.... given the chance I'd probably put my foot on it.... along with a size12 blundstone..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 May 2016, 6:09 pm

juststarting wrote:Chill, Winston.

I'll chill ... when I'm dead and gone.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 May 2016, 6:30 pm

p3seven wrote:KPI's are hard to apply to an organisation like Crimtrac. It is only really a data repository with no ability to action arrests etc. It is up to the local Mr Plods to use the data to effect the completion of evidence collection and then arrests.

One piece of data that should be able to be extracted from the new tracking system is the use of illegal vs registered (stolen or otherwise) used to commit crimes. But, to get the most complete data it would require a ballistic sample (fired round and case) from each registered firearm in Australia. This would also have to be done for each barrel, bolt and firing pin change over the life of the firearm. An impossible task and realistically, the pain would not be worth the gain. .

I beg to differ, when a organization ( crimtrac ) can show that its system is actually solving crime as a result of the data gathered then that is performance. After all the sole purpose it exists is to solve crime, why wouldn't they use crimes solved as a kpi ?
These soft kpi's are what you get when a public department sets it's own targets.
I liken it to me setting Kpi's for myself
On_one_wheel's Kpi's
Goes to work when rostered on
Wears clothes at work
Is drug and alcohol free
Utilizes personal / sick leave to maximize annual leave accural.

Se how thats done, nothing there to measure my value to the business.
Now I just need to set my own bonus system and forward it to HR.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2016, 3:00 pm

CrimTrac is the national information-sharing service for Australia’s police, law enforcement and national security agencies. The agency was established in 2000 as a collaborative partnership between the Commonwealth, states and territories to help combat crime in Australia. We deliver national information-sharing solutions that support police in their work.

They provide platforms to share data and inherently report on collected data, nothing to do with prevention and it's up to individual agencies, I am guessing, to make use of this data...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2016, 3:01 pm

I.e. unless I am missing something obvious, they do exactly what they are setup to do.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 13 May 2016, 4:26 pm

I've been avoiding posting this because I did not know how it would be received, but here goes.

The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (1 of 50 US states) has over a million people licensed to carry handguns. On the first day of deer season our Commonwealth deploys 3x your total military and reserves to find and kill Bambi. On one day. We probably have 8 million or more gun owners.

And that is one state out of 50.

OK, I am gloating, forgive me :)

I've tried to avoid it for cultural reasons but it provides perspective.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation