Amazing things you see shooting

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Amazing things you see shooting

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

I thought it would be fun to share stories about the cool stuf you see when out shooting.
Here's my latest cool observation.

3 of us were out fixing a roo problem at night, under a very powerful spotlight using .223 rifles.

We swapped seats occasionally and when I took my turn in the back seat I noticed something realy cool.
I looked over the shooters shoulder while he was taking a shot and ZIP ! I could see the projectiles fly out to about 150 meters !

The angle of reflection from the spotlight against the shiny copper on the tail of the projectiles to my retina was perfectly aligned . :ugeek:

Once I noticed it, I could watch every shot fly right to POI... splat !

Really really cool and blody fast ! 8-)

Thinking I had gained some kind of super power like Eagle Eye Vision from drinking home brew beer I told the lads ... I got a under underwhelming "oh yeah" from one mate and a " I didn't want to say anything in case you thought I was mad" from the other... he had the powers to :P

I thought about trying to take a video ... but was immediately sidetracked by the task at hand.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Amazing things you see shooting

Post by Mick280 » 15 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm

I have seen the same myself!!!
Out spotlighting one night with a mate,He was using my .308 and I was seeing the 150 gn Nosler's all the way to the target.
Awesome to watch!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

Yeah I've seen that quite often.
I was out hunting foxes at a mates once when I noticed 3 wedgies harassing something just around the bend in the gully from me. Next minute this fox comes pelting out fighting for his life against the eagles. They obviously thought it was a bit too much risk coz they took off shortly after. Felt kinda bad giving him a 222 dose after that !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 28 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

.223, .308, .222 ..... Ho Hum.

Try doing that with a .204 or ... my HOT ROD .220 Swift. Lol
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Jul 2016, 4:58 pm

I've seen a cat do half a dozen backflips mid air after being shot in the nut sack with a 22-250 :) One of the relatives shot a Dingo just south east of Narrabri in the 80's, the skin didn't have a mark on it. He'd heard the thing for a few nights so setup his .257 Weatherby and a spot light overlooking a lamb he had staked out. During the night he woke to some noise, raced out, hit the light and within a fraction of a second shot the thing straight through the only target he could see, its sphincter as it was running off. Just when you think you're having lamb for dinner something bites you in the ass.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 28 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm

Standing next to my cousin when he shot a burnt out Eucalyptus tree stump, about 30 metres away ....with a .22 Rimfire

The projectile ricocheted ( almost straight ) back and hit the top of my fore-head ...

I still have a floating skull fragment !

( may indeed, be the explanation of many things. Lol )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation